Just crate or crate and x-pen when away?

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I think I found the right forum this time! I had another question I would like to hear everyone's wisdom on. I will be going back to work tomorrow after a week and a half off with my new baby. Each day I have been leaving him alone for an hour or two at a time in his crate/x-pen combo so he can sleep but has room to walk around, get his water and play with some toys. I have also put a little fake grass pee contraption in there which he has actually used a few times while I've been gone without any coaxing. I normally leave this all open for him when I am home and he goes in and out freely. He is also
fed in his xpen as I thought this might help him think of it as his own space. Anyways, tomorrow he will be alone for about 6 hours and I wanted to ask your opinions on continuing with what I have been doing vs. Strictly crating him, which is what I do at night. I don't want to be counterproductive to his potty training but I know it's unrealistic to expect him to hold it that long. Sorry I am so long winded, but any thoughts are appreciated!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can do either, we have done that with pups before and when they get bigger just used the crates. So what ever works for you is fine, I have done it both ways. Plus when you do crate only, leave their water in their crate also, so he can have water 24/7.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I had the same setup with Stig, who's now two years old. He's still paper trained and would go in his pen if he needs to pee when no one's home. We don't mind cleaning up. We set it up so there's vinyl flooring where his x-pen is so it's waterproof.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Once he is able to hold it longer it will be easier but you have the right idea with the x-pen combo b/c he wont get used to doing potty in the crate and he has a designated area until he doesnt need it anymore! We did the same for Brutus if we had to leave for a little b/c I didnt want him to potty in the crate and sit in it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hello and welcome to the site! How old is Tonka?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I like the crate x-pen idea .. give it a try. If it doesn't work then you can always go on to just using the crate!! :up:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.