Dog aggression

BoneHat

Jan 2, 2012
Los Angeles (Glendale)
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
I rehomed Fergie and don't know too much of her past, but I've been able to work out some of her behavioral problems and give her the pack structure I felt she was lacking in order to make her quality of life better. I firmly believe she was just neglected too much perhaps, b/c I've given her lots of attention and training and she seems to have started to assume her role in our pack now and is a bit more chill and relaxed. She was hyper and trying to run the house at first b/c I'm sure she was accustomed to it. But now, she is a different dog. She listens and is very obedient and is sweet. The only thing I have issues with now, is dog aggression and I can't seem to get her to consistently stop.

We go for walks and there are times where she ignores dogs. Other times, she wants to go at them. More often, the latter happens though. I started to correct her with a snap of the fingers and a "no". It worked for a while. Next, I started giving her taps with 2 fingers on her side (not too hard, index and middle firmly enough to know I disapprove). This worked for a bit but lately she gets so caught up in her fury that she doesn't even mind me.

So, I'm wondering if anyone can enlighten me some as to what else I can do or what has worked or is known to. It really is the last thing I'm trying to break her free from.

Thanks All.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have this same issue with one of my girls, she does not like adult dogs. Period. The only time she seems okay is on the occasional walk. I wish I had the answers you are looking for but it seems you are on the right track.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I wish I had an answer for you too but I've never dealt with aggression (knock on wood). They've always got along great both with each other and other dogs.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Have you seen the Cesar Millan episode where he's dealing with a black Pit that belongs to his daughter? Great episode on dog aggression. Here's a synopsis from a website about Jim Plunkett (the football player). Jimmy is his son that died suddenly. The dog used to be Jimmy's. Anyway, I think that was season 6 or 7?

In 2009, Jim, Gerry and their daughter, Meghan, filmed an episode of the TV program Dog Whisperer (scheduled to air in October 2010) featuring the pit bull, Gotti, that had belonged to Jimmy. After Jimmy's death, Meghan chose to keep the dog with her in part to honor what she believed would have been her brother's wish. When the dog began to display some nervous aggression, Meghan despaired. "Our daughter was very upset; she didn't want to feel she was letting Jimmy down," says Plunkett. "The show became kind of a tribute to him."

Worth trying to find to watch. The take away from it, as I recall, was catching Gotti BEFORE he acts out by looking for and correcting behaviors that precede the aggression. Cesar showed the daughter what to watch for --- and then correct as Pack Leader.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3987]BoneHat[/MENTION] -- you are on the right track, but what you want to do is stop her before she gets there. learn to recognize he body language and the trigger, then correct her before she reacts. Try the spray bottle... water right the the face/side of head when you see her begin to tense or zeroing in. And, you may or may not realize this, but if you are tense or nervous, she may be picking up on it and reacting in a 'protective manner'. A good book to help with this is called 'the other end of the leash'

Good luck and stay consistent

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some good advise above and you are on the right track, just hang in there and be consistent.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
No help to add either, but good luck!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.