Scared to Go Outside, Doesn't want to Walk, 10.5 month old Olde English

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4525]PrincessGrace[/MENTION] -- welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs and EBN! Pardon my bluntness, but your 'trainer' is full of :poo: :cursing: Find your self a behaviorist to work with Gracie -- dogs live in the moment and can move on from nasty events. There is a really good book titled - 'the other end of the leash'. Gracie may be picking up on you/wife apprehension during the walk . since you are sort of waiting for her not to do something or to react -- she is sensing all that tension and is unsure because she is looking to you as her leader and since you are sort of 'nervous; she is then scared. Try to not think of her behavior and just take her out for a walk... do look for her to react or not walk... just walk with her and keep her moving till you see she really needs to actually go potty. Then praise as you are...

good luck and keep us posted.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I am curious about a few things - sounds like there have been a few things that could be contributing to this:
1. Could she be associating the UTI/pain with going outside?
2. Is the new harness making her not want to go out (our bullie hated his harness, we stopped using it, and he's pretty good on a retractable leash)?
3. How did the bell thing work? I have never heard of this! You said she suddenly stopped doing it? Any idea why?
4. Has she been checked for any arthritis? You mention lots of steps and long walks- could she be in any pain possibly? She is older, so it makes me wonder... eta; Woops. Dumb me didn't see "months" in your post, I thought I read years. DOH!!!!
5. Have you spoken to a vet about this?
6. This may be wrong, but how do you guys talk to her on walks? I read once, bullies can't be bullied, if anything, they need to be coaxed and encouraged. I have found many dogs react to a stern voice etc, but I find, at least in my bullie, if I speak kindly to him, and reward him, he will do anything I want. He is the sweetest, gentlest dog, and had no problems being potty trained or crate trained. If the SO gets mean sounding or stern if he is being stubborn and won't come in to go to bed in his crate, he just gets scared and won't do what he wants him to, but he will for me, because I baby talk him, praise him for coming in and give him a biscuit, which has made my SO mad because he says I baby him. I really think bullies pick up on your emotions, so as was said before, I'd just rule out health reasons, and if she's physically ok, just try to be as patient as possible when you walk her and try to pick a time when there's less traffic, if at all possible. I even say let her lead you and let her walk where she wants to if possible too, if she will do that. And take treats on the walk with you and reward her each step of the way. Maybe a treat and praise for first getting outside, a treat if she walks a bit, etc and so on. Baby steps.... :) Good luck to you!

Last edited:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
First let me say Princess Grace is gorgeous! But she looks so worried in that picture. My Wilson is a scaredy-cat of sorts. He loves his walks and doesn't startle when a big truck or motorcycle goes by. So what is he afraid of? If I jiggle the babygate, if I drop my keys, if I pull out the trashbag from it's container. So it's actually small movements, overhead movements. He definitely "sweats the small stuff"." My theory is when he was a puppy a TV tray tipped over and landed on him and his sister. His sister wasn't traumatized but Wilson was. Boy... I think bulldogs have good memories and Wilson is a very sensitive and shy guy on top of it. We try not to fuss over him when he's afraid as I think that would just reinforce his fearful behaviors. Just keep doing the walks no matter how short or far. Eventually that will become part of her routine and try not to show your frustration because then she'll think there's really something to worry about.

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly May Giggles, Mister Moe Wrinkles, Lil' Miss Jitterbug Wiggles and Calling All Angels Trudeaux
This forum is absolutely amazing. Thank you all for the positive vibes. It truly helps to speak to people who know bullies. They are totally different than other dogs. The "trainer" said that dogs are dogs and I never believed that because I've had dogs my whole life and I have never experienced the bulldog. They can be super stubborn and moody but also so affectionate. They are excellent dogs and I think we will always have one!

I totally agree with you. I wanted a bullie for so long and when I got Molly she changed my world. Now that we have Molly and Moe our home is so full of bullie fun and bullie love. They all have their own little personalities and are very smart, I just love em so much.:luv:

OP
P

PrincessGrace

Mar 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Grace
Thanks so much Sallwi, that is a great idea. She was better yesterday. She would not go potty at all until my wife and I walked with her. She likes the pack mentality. Then, she went downstairs without protest and went potty one more time at night so it was a semi productive day. This morning I had to coax her out of her crate but she is usually very sleepy in the mornings. She went downstairs without much protest, went pp immediately but the trucks were super loud and she was a little spooked and didn't care to see if she had to poop. I rewarded her a ton for peeing and she responded well. Instead of pulling her to try to poop, I let her react to the sounds, see that it is ok and what was great was that she didn't try to dart back to the door. I will take it as a small step forward. So, I let her go back up and praised her a lot. It will take time, we are trying.

OP
P

PrincessGrace

Mar 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Grace
Hey BullieMommi, she is 10.5 months, not years so no worries about arthritis. The harness is fine, she was annoyed with it at first but now she is totally cool with it. The bell thing was working amazingly and she would ring it every time she went out but all of a sudden she didn't do it. I am starting to re-train her on this as well. I don't think she associates the pain with going out, because she had a UTI before and wanted to go out constantly to relieve herself. We are SO sweet to her when she walks, of course we had our moments of frustration but we never yell at her or are mean to her AT ALL. She has the life.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Hey BullieMommi, she is 10.5 months, not years so no worries about arthritis. The harness is fine, she was annoyed with it at first but now she is totally cool with it. The bell thing was working amazingly and she would ring it every time she went out but all of a sudden she didn't do it. I am starting to re-train her on this as well. I don't think she associates the pain with going out, because she had a UTI before and wanted to go out constantly to relieve herself. We are SO sweet to her when she walks, of course we had our moments of frustration but we never yell at her or are mean to her AT ALL. She has the life.
[MENTION=4525]PrincessGrace[/MENTION] I am so sorry, I thought you said she was 10 YEARS old, lol, omg, I am so sorry!!! Sorry about all my questions, I just couldn't figure it out thinking she was so much older. It makes so much more sense now!! (doh!) And hope I didn't seem to imply you were ever mean to her - I just know it's all frustrating and I know it can be easy to loose patience and get annoyed with these big babies. It just amazes me how most dogs will react to sterness, yet it seems to, in some situations, just make things worse with bullies. I wish you the best of luck with your princess, it sounds like you guys are doing a great job!! :)

OP
P

PrincessGrace

Mar 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Grace
Grace is actually fine on weekends. The problem is the truck. Now she doesn't even go to potty with the dog walkers so it doesn't even makes sense to have them walk her during the day. We feel bad that she will now be crated all day while we are at work but she is free the rest of the day. She was awesome all weekend and even on Monday. today she was a bit apprehensive but she did go #1 when I first took her. Then I fed her and took her out again to go #2 and she was very scared. I acted like it was nothing and had to do a bit of pulling and coaxing but she started walking and eventually pooped. She is still afraid though but I think it is better than last week. It is all so frustrating though and I have to go away for work for 2 friggin weeks and worry about leaving her with my pregnant wife for 2 weeks.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through but i don't think I can add to all the wonderful advice you ahve already been given. It does sound that you are acting on the advice and I think that as long as you are consistent and persistent that you will get your old bully back .. the one who wasn't scared of the "Big Outdoors".

Don't give up and remember that as with everything, it's gonna feel like you take two steps forward and one step back!!!!

As for your trainer .... that just makes me want to :sense:

Members online

No members online now.