new dog attacks me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
Last month i adopted a 6 year old, 65 pound purebred EB. He was given up due to some aggressive behavior - uh....................yeh.. i get it now.

I love this jumbo boy and will keep him.
\
Please refer me to threads on this behavior.

****when either of us jump up off the couch or just start angrily yelling at one of the other dogs or whatever, he lunges and attacks the yeller. I'm experienced with dogs and am not terribly worried about being bitten so i accept this behavior in general but of course i want to change it.

As quick as this behavior starts, it ends just as quickly if you stop yelling. It's a trigger for him.

He's neutered and is loving other than this although he does show other signs of disrespect.

I'm going to take him to a trainer in May when this semester ends. any ideas in the meantime??

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
OP here. The attacks are mostly lunging and are not primarily about biting but he does bite too.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
If the yelling is a sure fire trigger you might want to stop it. Yelling never really works to correct bad behaviour. I find dogs to be just like kids in that respect. I suggest you maybe try a spray bottle or the pennies in a can if you want to redirect their behaviour.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Good advice above. I love senior dogs and would love to see some pix of him. Good luck with him.:)

OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
you're misunderstanding ---- i'm not yelling AT him - i may for example, be yelling at one of the other dogs to stop barking .....

but even if i was yelling at him - how many dogs will lunge and try to bite when they're being yelled at??? hit maybe, but not just being yelled at...... Not many dogs would bite their owner even when being hit.

i probably need someone who is experienced with aggressive behavior in dogs... which is what i will do in May....

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Oh goodness, I have no suggestions for you, however I really hope you can find answers.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You said he is a rehomed/rescued dog. That being said, you never know what kind of conditions he lived in. So while you are yelling at the other dogs or tv he sees that as a sign of a possible escalating situation. Being calm and assertive lets them know your position as alpha. You don't have to yell or threathen. Matter of fact when I drop my voice a few octaves it seems that gives Raven and Bubbles pause and they know mom is not happy. By the way, in his prior home if the yelling was a prelude to being hit/kicked or some sort of horrible punishment it will be a trigger. So seeing as he is showing that the yelling is a trigger and making him defend the pack or himself you can't blame him. Many times as a pet owner we are responsible for our pets bad behaviours in the little or big things we do. They learn from us what is acceptable or unacceptable behaviour. By yelling and carrying on, even if it's not at him, you are showing aggression. Aggression begets aggression in both humans and animals alike.

Last edited:
OP
L

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
again, my point is being missed. If i yelled to my husband - "turn on the A/C - i'm frigging hot!"" - he would come at me.

this is not the best forum for this issue.......i'll try a forum that deals with aggression specifically

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@luvdogs...do as you choose. The advice I have given you will be given to you in many other forums. You need to correct some of the triggers as well as work with a behaviorist. By the way, to my knowledge, rescue organizations will take a dog with aggression issues and attempt to correct it before rehoming the dog. If they deem the dog unfit still after working with them, they tend to explore other options such as keeping them with people that are within the rescue organization that are trained to handle such dogs. So a lot of your angry story seems to be fishy to me. Good luck with the dog if you do in deed have a dog and are not trolling and trying to start stuff.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I agree with everyone's responses! Sorry if it's not what you want to hear. Yelling, no matter who it is at, is a form of aggression and dogs feed off of our emotions. You can't blame the dog for reacting. No matter who you will ask, if they know anything about dogs, will tell you the same thing. Even your tone on here is starting to get aggressive. Good luck trying to find another forum that will agree with you. Maybe the bulldog just needs a more relaxed environment? I'm just saying. Maybe it isn't a good fit for you?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I agree with everyone's responses! Sorry if it's not what you want to hear. Yelling, no matter who it is at, is a form of aggression and dogs feed off of our emotions. You can't blame the dog for reacting. No matter who you will ask, if they know anything about dogs, will tell you the same thing. Even your tone on here is starting to get aggressive. Good luck trying to find another forum that will agree with you. Maybe the bulldog just needs a more relaxed environment? I'm just saying. Maybe it isn't a good fit for you?

Ohhhhhh Bubbbbaaaa :flower:

:laugh:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
again, my point is being missed. If i yelled to my husband - "turn on the A/C - i'm frigging hot!"" - he would come at me.

this is not the best forum for this issue.......i'll try a forum that deals with aggression specifically

Honey, do you think it's a little warm in here? let's turn on the air conditioner. Thanks Love you :smoochwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.