aggressive behaviour on walks

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
our bullies go on an off-leash walk almost every day. my husband takes them 95% of the time, bc i work so much and he is semi-retired. we were discussing ollie's behaviour on walks and we don't really know what to do about it and would like to fix it.

ollie can be quite aggressive on walks. he charges new dogs. if the dog is confident, there are no problems. however, if the dog displays any fear or weakness, ollie becomes, well....a bully:bully:. he scares people sometimes. he has never bitten anyone or any dog, but the behaviour is stressful and we don't like that he has the capability to knock some poor soul over, or worse, hurt someone or another dog.

ordinarily he is a gentle giant and very affectionate, but this stuff he does on walks is unacceptable.

i can't use a shock collar...it just freaks me out.

any ideas?:begging:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I had this problem with Chanel! It is a different breed more powerful but same idea! So we would go for a walk and she would see another dog an go nuts! She was friendly with family's pets,friends pets! As she was ready to start barking I would say NO very firm and tug her collar(easy with bully) and make her sit! Right when she sat I would giver her a treat and if she walke past a dog with no sound she would get a treat! Positive and Firm! The dog whisperer really helped me! I never had that problem with Brutus as he followed her lead and she is perfect now! It takes a lot of time and paitence!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.659013,-74.233539

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If Ollie senses any nervousness from the person(s) with him.... he is going into guard mode also, if it is only 'weaker' dogs it is pack mentality to attack the weaker link. There is a book titles 'The other end of the leash' which is a good read for understanding dog behavior and how to address it

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online