New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I decided to do something a little different.

You guys are totally right in the fact I'm trying to do too much at once. I think she's just overwhelmed with change, and it's making it even harder for her to zone in on what's what. I decided to let the bathroom issue go for a bit until she overcomes the outdoors. When I put her in the bathroom by herself with pads, she goes instantly. So I figure if I encourage her to go to the bathroom, she'll lose the fear of going. She thinks what she's doing is wrong, and when she goes she hides under my futon, or darts for her cage. So first I want to be positive on going to the bathroom period. If you think about it, why even take her out to go to the bathroom when she can't relax out there. From what I've gathered the dog needs to be confident, and be able to act like a dog. With her completely detached from her natural senses she's never going to understand what I want from her. She's smart and knows that there is a time, and place to go. She just shuts herself off to the outdoors so she can't put it all together in her head. With lots of positive reinforcement on it being ok to pee/poop she'll gain some much needed confidence herself I think.

I'm also going to bring her to the park where its nice and quiet, and get her to start walking on the leash with me. My buddy brought over his pinch collar, and we gave it a go with Lilly. She responded way better, and doesn't show any kind of pain issues. I pop it, and she stands right up. I'm going to be very, very careful with it and go very slow with her. To me, these collars are a great tool when used properly. The "pinch" seems to really strike a nerve in her brain, and she knows I'm the boss not her. When she has a normal collar on, she turns into the bull we all know and love. She's gets tough, and uses her strength to HER advantage, and even though I'm pulling up on it she still pulls and thinks she's winning. Sorry if you guys don't approve of these collars, but she isn't taking it negatively at all so far. In fact, I feel better about use this because I'm not "choking" her. I did some research on conventional collars and I didn't like what I found. Autopsies were performed on dogs that were trained with pinch collars, and dogs that used normal ones. The dogs with pinch collars had 2 dogs out of 50 with neck injuries, 1 was genetic, the other trauma related. The other dogs with normal collars showed more then 50% of them had trauma related neck injuries, and 3 with genetic injuries!! Not cool!! They may seem barbaric but being that the collar is straight and to the point, there is no repeated yanking on the leash. Your also not pulling anywhere near as hard, and is typically a small pop. I'm sure some dogs are more intense, and it CAN injure the dog, but she's allowing me to do all the teaching. So, being that I got positive results with no harm done I'm going to continue with the collar until I see negative results.

As for the crate, I think I'm going to use it for when and I can't keep an eye one her, and for sleeping purposes. She impressed me in the fact that she WILL go WHERE I want, so I trust her enough to be out. As long as I time it right, she shouldn't have any accidents. Thanks again for all the positive feedback, and all the help/advice! I'll keep you all updated with her progress!!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Don't worry about the collar. Do what works for you and Lilly :)

We look forward to your updates

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Sweet, I thought I was gonna get a bunch of thumbs down because of it :]

Today was great!! We walked around my buddies yard, and then walked down a laid back road with a little traffic. Slowly but surely she is coming out of her shell, and the collar really does help keep her moving, and standing tall. She did better with passing cars too which was nice to see. I love this dog, and it is really a great feeling seeing her progress. I'm gonna be so bored when shes trained :[

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sweet, I thought I was gonna get a bunch of thumbs down because of it :]

Today was great!! We walked around my buddies yard, and then walked down a laid back road with a little traffic. Slowly but surely she is coming out of her shell, and the collar really does help keep her moving, and standing tall. She did better with passing cars too which was nice to see. I love this dog, and it is really a great feeling seeing her progress. I'm gonna be so bored when shes trained :[

Great to hear she is coming along...... and you will not be bored, as with a lot of female bullies; they are a work in progress :tongue:

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Great to hear she is coming along...... and you will not be bored, as with a lot of female bullies; they are a work in progress :tongue:

Huh...So females are typically more work then males? I've never heard that before. She's definitely a little prissy, girly girl dog haha

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Huh...So females are typically more work then males? I've never heard that before. She's definitely a little prissy, girly girl dog haha

Oh H E L L yeah ---Banks is 6 and we still are training her. She was BRUTAL as a pup... but I love her to pieces

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Wow, that's pretty funny!

Compared to my male Chester she's such a little princess. He'll play tug of war for days if you let him and he's turning 11 in a month!! He'll actually hunt you down with toy in mouth ready to go. Full of life for a senior bully. Lilly is too good for pulling stuff, and tearing it apart. She's happier being a mush and making your heart melt. As I'm typing this she's under my coffee table chewing on my big toe trying to be cute...lol! I mean come ON!! These dogs have some kind of mutant cuteness that is just impossible to resist haha. Btw, your signature quote is spot on...very cool

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!

Lilly just started potty training boot camp, and I ain't messing around this time.

Sorry for not posting in a bit and leaving you all hanging but she chewed up my power supply wire, and I needed to wait to buy a new one. Anyways, I'm not gonna lie this dog is wearing me down, and actually had me beat for a little while. I stopped letting her out, because she just wouldn't go and I got a little depressed that I might have bit off more then I can chew. But! I realized what was happening and I snapped out of it. But this time, things are going to be much more strict...Much more.

First things first a nice walk is how her day will begin EVERY day. If she doesn't go to the bathroom, she'll be fed when we get back and locked up in her crate for an hour before I take her out again. Then every hour or two I take her out again. If she doesn't go, locked up. If she does, then we socialize. So far today, she's been locked up ALL day. I feel horrible...But, I'm staying strong and so is she. She still hasn't gone outside. She pee'd in her cage once, but no poop at all today. So now this is where I get worried...I don't want to cause any kidney damage because she's not going. It's been about 24 hours since shes gone, SOO stubborn. What do you guy suggest? I'm trying to be consistent and obvious. My logic is she'll have to go to the bathroom eventually, and I limit her to her cage she won't be able to go inside. Am I wrong here?

Also, I know creating a negative vibe for her crate is bad, but I NEED to dicipline this dog with boundaries. Because to her, there are none. This to me is more important then the negative vibe, and once she works it all out in her mind she won't be locked up. And after a while will like the crate again.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] I'm not sure about keeping her in her crate so much --- she is not getting any exercise that way. Are you home with them all day? If yes, how old is she? rule of thumb is 1 hr more than they are old is how long they can hold the bladder (4 months old -- 5 hours) ... what we did with Banks and we do with Cheli now -- out every hour to 90 mins. and we do not come in till they go. we are having issue with Cheli that started with the nice weather -- he will not go during walks ... will only go in a certain spot in our back yard :cursing: I took him for a 30 min walk - he did nothing. Come in the house and with 15 mins he pee'd and :poo: on the rug :cursing:

my point is --- find what works for her --- have treats with you and give lots of praise as soon as she does her job

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] she obviously likes her potty pads. Have you tried Taking a freakin potty pad outside?

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Her "freakin" potty pads? Did I miss something 0.o ? ?

I'm thinking about trying that actually. I wanted to try and get her to do it without because I don't want to create yet another bad habit. I'll freakin give it a go I guess.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I'm thinking about trying that actually. I wanted to try and get her to do it without because I don't want to create yet another bad habit. I'll freakin give it a go I guess.

If it gets her to go outside.... it is a start and then you can move away from it eventually

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
@LiLlilly I'm not sure about keeping her in her crate so much --- she is not getting any exercise that way. Are you home with them all day? If yes, how old is she? rule of thumb is 1 hr more than they are old is how long they can hold the bladder (4 months old -- 5 hours) ... what we did with Banks and we do with Cheli now -- out every hour to 90 mins. and we do not come in till they go. we are having issue with Cheli that started with the nice weather -- he will not go during walks ... will only go in a certain spot in our back yard :cursing: I took him for a 30 min walk - he did nothing. Come in the house and with 15 mins he pee'd and :poo: on the rug :cursing:

my point is --- find what works for her --- have treats with you and give lots of praise as soon as she does her job

She get LOADS of exercise. I walk her around my block where there are two nice grassy spots for her to explore and go on. But she doesn't do anything but walk, or sit down and relax. She doesn't sniff around and do her dog thing. She's a year old, so she can hold it for a while. I really don't want to let her go in my bathroom anymore. But I feel like crap making her hold it...

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
And yes I am home all day at the moment. When I take her out we're out for 20-30 minutes. And I take her out like 8 times a day lol. Talk about a thick head sheesh haha

Btw, was talking about me dog not you or anyone else here lol, I just re-read that and it kinda sounded like it could be taken that way. Whoops!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

:laugh: Hey I just figured I, like you at this point would try absolutely everything. :ROFL:

and then if that works wean off the pads.:dancing:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.