New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Hello everyone!

I just adopted a Bulldog 2 days ago. She's a mini, and is a year old. It was the craziest thing how we found her. My girlfriend and I were "thinking" about maybe finding someone giving away some mutt puppies. So she was just on google writing things that would bring local people that had puppies. About a half hour into it, one search brought up an ebay ad saying Pocket English Bulldog. So we clicked it, and there she was. Her owner adopted her from a girl in the city who had 5 dogs including Lilly (jada was her name when we got her) for 700 dollars. Then the people I got her from had a ****-zu and figured she would be a good friend for their dog. They had the dog for a week, and the put the ad up on ebay. I offered that guy 200 dollars for the dog, and he went for it. Met me in Ikea parking lot, and that was that.

She's a sweet dog, and I love her to death but she has some issues...

1.) She's a year old and understand 0 about going to the bathroom outside. She's been pooping/peeing in the house a lot, and has yet to go outside.

2.) She's petrified of the outdoors. When I take her on a walk she's either pulling me because she's so scared or when a car passes she gets low, and stops. She's just not comfortable being outside at all, so I don't think she is even thinking about going to the bathroom because shes scared for her life lol.

3.) She has had the runs, and really bad gas for the last couple of days. I thought maybe it was the food she was on so I switched her over to Merrick.

4.) She eats INSANELY fast!! I mean she'll eat her whole bowl in 2-3 bites, and I'm not exaggerating!! She literally "inhales" her food. I went online and looked that up, and heard it can cause bad gas and the runs. So I got her a bowl that slows her eating down, and that helped.

5.) Extremely possessive over her bone, and food to the point where she will bite you. I got bit once already and it was enough to make me bleed. She also has some sensitive spots on her body she doesn't like. Around her neck area, and her hind quarters. Both spots my other bully LOVES!!

As you can see, I'm in over my head a little bit...

I grew up with a bully and he is the best dog ever! We had him since he was a puppy, and were able to teach him when he was young. This bitch is set in her ways!! Lol!

I would say the biggest thing right now is her fears of the outdoors. She absolutely hates being outside, and I believe in order for her to know to go to the bathroom she needs to let go of the fear. So QUESTION 1: Whats the best way I can help her let go of this fear?

Now her possessiveness. I want to be able to have people over and not worry about her getting mad and biting someone...If I ever had to put my dog down because of something like that I would be so upset and hate myself. So QUESTION 2: How can I teach her to lighten up with her bones, and her food bowl?

And the last, I just need a good method to potty train. I have a crate for her that she fits in, and isn't too big. I figured it would help, but I'm not 100% on the exercises I need to use. So QUESTION 3: What is the best way to potty train, and should I use my crate?

Sorry, for the long posts, but I just like to be thorough so I can get the best possible help from the experts ;]

Meet Lilly the Mini English Bulldog!
(And to people who don't believe they exist, she's 30lbs at year old. I will post pics with her next to my male. She's a mini for sure.)

IMAG0275.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
You aren't going to get overnight results, but with patience and love you can fix her issues. Consistency, is key. Patience and a calm demeanor is also key.

House training with crate training is easier than watching her 100% of the time. Trips outside often, even every half hour then gradually lengthening the time span in-between.

Now for the outside fears. You need a safe quiet small area outside that you just always take her out to go potty only. Let her back in the house after she goes. Then treat her and play a bit before putting her back in crate.

I watched Cesar work with a bully mix recently on food and toy aggression. It was amazing how quick he achieved results. I think you can watch episodes of dog whisperer online, you might try checking out his advice too.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN, LiLily. I hope you find answers to all your questions. We have some great behaviorists here so Im sure they will help you. Thanx for joining and I'd love to see more pix of your precious little bully. Just so you know, female bullies can be quite small without being considered minis. Our Princess Gracie is only 40 pounds and there are a few here on EBN that are in the low 30's. Good luck with your new baby.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
have you taken her to a vet yet to check her out? It sounds as if the previous owner had their priorities and responsibilities off. Have them ck for worms to rule that out.

Diarrhea can come from many things, one of which is changing her food too fast. you can add some canned pumpkin (100% pumpkin, not pie filling) to her food to help settle her stomach down.
If there are no worms and the food has been the same for a week or two and still an issue, then there are other things out there it could be. That is where my paranoid Poo mom comes out.

rapid eating, get her a slow feed bowl. A lot of bullies do this, however it is not good for them at all. There are different styles and it might take getting a couple to find the best one to work for Lilly.

As far as potty training...she most likely never got any and it will be a long road, but can be done. First start crating her while you are gone. This will help. Some say that they will not go where they sleep, however I have dogs that make this statement false. Take her out after every meal, every time she wakes up....make a huge routine.

As for the outdoors, do you have a quiet small contained area you can go to until she is comfortable? like a small grassy fenced in area or backyard. This too will take time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Sounds to me like Lilly has been in a kennel or crate for her entire life with limited human interaction. I think she will slowly learn to trust you but you need to be very patient with her. She is beautiful!! Welcome to ebn, The previous posters have given you wonderful advice. Keep us posted on her progress!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Lily is so pretty! I'm glad she's with a caring and committed mom now. I can't add much to what's already been said. Sounds like Little Lily didn't get very much guidance and nurturing from her previous homes and I guess you'll be starting from scratch. The main thing you'll be needing now is patience. Each little progress she makes should gets oodles of "calm" praise and maybe a treat since she likes her food so much. I'm sure you will see her blossom and I can't wait to hear of her progress!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
have you taken her to a vet yet to check her out? It sounds as if the previous owner had their priorities and responsibilities off.

Bingo.

[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] is right. And you can change this dog's experience in this world with a ton of patience and a lot of discipline (NOT PUNISHMENT). I would go to iTunes right now and download "Cesar's Way" by Cesar Millan - audiobook and listen to it until your head explodes. OK. Not that long. "Fixing" this dog is going to take everything you have leadership wise. And you can do it! This is an amazing new challenge for you. Embrace it! You are going to learn a lot about you in the process.

http://www.cesarsway.com/tips/trainingtips/punishment-or-discipline

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
aww i'm sorry your new baby isn't likin the outdoors. We got lola when she was a puppy and had lots of siblings and two adult bullies around so when we got her home, she was terrified out going outside alone too (the suburb to downtown city-life was also a big change). Lola does know that she has to potty outside (we have a fenced in backyard but still lots of traffic and cars parked behind the houses), but she does it as fast as possible and keeps her ears open outside. we distract her from noises on walks (which she also kind of hates) by doing some jogging and of course the run for her life as soon as she sees the front porch again. it is really frustrating, i can feel for you, but it will get tolerable :) ? i dont think lola will ever love outside you know? BUT we did visit my aunt who has a log cabin in a really remote area and since there was NO noise outside, lola went exploring it was so cute! just sit on the front porch with your pup and let her sit in your lap and watch whats going on. that help desensitize lola a little bit. bring some chicken, and if she eats treats outside, that is a HUGE step. lola still wont eat in public or outside.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
WOW!!

All these responses are great!! Thanks everyone!!

Most forums I'm subscribed to are very inactive, this place is awesome with such caring members!!

To aprilemari, Lily sounds a lot like Lola in her uneasiness of the outdoors. I was going to mention her not wanting food outside today without you even posting, so I guess that isn't too uncommon. That's one thing thats super frustrating because you want praise her with something they love, but she won't accept it because she's so nervous lol. My parents house is much more quiet, and we had her in the yard yesterday but she's clueless as to what to do. She just wants to be close to your side, and stays low. If she hears something she always hits the deck haha! Everyday I'm going to take her outside and keep her exposed it A LOT. Hopefully she'll lighten up.

The guy did bring her to the vet, and showed me she was up to date with all her shots and what not. As for the runs, and gas the bowl is helping A LOT. She pooped yesterday, and it was a lot more together as gross as that sounds lol. Her gas is slowly subsiding and not as often or intense. I'm going to bring her to the my vet anyways, but I can't probably until next week.

I also agree she was in her crate her whole life. From the way the old owners sound they were both too busy with their own life, and had no right taking a dog into their life. When I got her she stunk like poop, and I'm sure she just sat in it all day. The owner said "she stepped in on the way out, sorry if she smells." Yeah ok...

I don't know how they didn't know something was wrong when they fed her. She eats SOOOOO fast, it's actually pretty impressive lol. But to a sensible person this is wrong, and weird behavior. They obviously didn't care at all. Another thing, before I got her the bowl she couldn't really relax. She would breath fast after eating, and would fart all the time. Now she's relaxing A LOT!! And her breathing is calm, and seems to be really comfortable. She was also super bloated, but not anymore. Looks like this bowl is doing the trick.

While she was at my parents house, she peed outside once. So we're making some progress. I praised her a lot! I tried giving her a treat but she didn't want it lol. Pooping outside seems to be the hard one for her. When she does that, that'll be a big day!

Here's where I'm still confused. Right now I'm collecting unemployment because I lost my job a few months ago. My fiance is working, but I'm home all day to watch Lilly. Basically though I wake up, give her food and water. Wait about 20 min, and take her out. I take her across the street where there's some grass. But she just sits there and looks around in fear. I usually give her 20-30 min to figure it out, by then I'm freezing and I'm sure she is too so I head in. At that point I just watch her like a hawk and make sure she doesn't start pacing or go hide. I figure it's pointless for me to put her in the crate when I'm home to watch her as she'll just go in the crate(she did this overnight). I figured I would just use it when I wasn't around. She hasn't pooped in almost 24 hours now, which is bad, but is a good sign in a way because if it was the runs she would have went already. I'm taking her to a friends house who has a quiet fenced in yard and we're gonna sit out there with her. Hopefully she'll go and make me proud!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to EBN ---- thank you for saving this little girl! You do have a long road ahead, but it is doable. As vicaroo1000 recommended Cesar's Way. Another good book is 'The other end of the leash' autor last name escapes me, but her first name is Patricia. Once you get her trust -- she will be a new dog and learn all you want her to. Baby steps do not try to change everything at once

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm glad you and Lily found eachother :) I've found that the dogs who are the most challenging in the beginning usually end up being the most rewarding in the end!

I don't know if you have a house or a backyard but for the outside stuff...could you get her one of those small doghouses so she can still feel "safe" when she goes outside? Even if she just uses it to dart inside when she feels uneasy or gets spooked by a noise/object? She could feel like she is hiding but she can still see the outside and she can still see you...hopefully over time she wouldnt even need to use it for her outside times.

Just a thought. Good luck with her! She's a doll :)

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Haha, thanks!! Unfortunately my apartment is on a somewhat busy street. Not too bad, but there's people walking, and cars driving by somewhat often. So there are a lot of sounds she needs to be ok with. Across the street is a little park where she can have some privacy so I bring her over there. But its typically a really bad walk. She hates being out there and I have to drag her across the street. She really doesn't like walking on the leash, but when she knows we're going back home she'll pull HARD and walk! I was thinking about buying a pinch collar for her. I know they have a bad rap, but I know a lot of people that have used them with great success. I also believe the type of "pinch" that is made reflects the mother correcting her pups. Her fear is too intense, and no matter what I do she darts for home, or just won't walk no matter what. I don't intend to do this for a permanent collar, but just for her to understand. Normal collars don't seem to phase her, and she fights me and thinks shes winning at this point.

Here's a typical walk so far:

Just now we took her out, and once we got in the park she just sat there after fighting with her the whole way to get her where we wanted her to go. Sat there for 20 min with her completely uninterested in anything. Brought her back in, and set up some pee pee pads in the bathroom. Put her in, shut the door for 30 seconds, and BLAMO poop&pee all done and waiting for me to clean! She totally has to go every time we take her out, but refuses to take any interest in anything GRRRR!!!

We love her to death, but tonight we decided she needs to really learn discipline. She really has no concept of it, and I fear her getting a lot worse if I don't start now. To put it bluntly, she's frustrating the hell out of us. I'm not backing down in the slightest and she's not beating me, but I wanted to run my routine by you guys. Basically I want her to understand bottom line that the bathroom is outside. I was going to crate her a lot until she starts figuring it out. Here would be a basic day. Wake up food/water wait 20min, and then 20min walk. Now, if she goes to the bathroom she gets to hang out of the crate, if she doesn't back in. Dinner time, food/water, wait 20 min, and walk. Same deal as before if she goes, out, if not then back in. And then finally a late night walk to give her another chance to go before she goes to bed. Basically if she doesn't go outside she's only going to have about 30 min (60 min for a whole day) of socializing time during lunch and dinner. I don't want her to be completely shut out, so I figured 30 min out to stretch out, and then back in. I want her to know the reason why she has less time out is because of her potty issues. I personally have a hard time doing this, and it kills me to watch her sit in there. But I REALLY need her to start understanding the issues. AND at the same time don't want a negative effect on the crate or me...

I feel between strict discipline on potty with the crate, and implementing a pinch collar to correct her outside behavior she'll be able to focus in on the issues at hand and what I'm trying to teach her. I hate to do any kind of harsh training, but she needs a little more of a push then the average pooch, and I need to really show who's the boss. I would like to know all of your thoughts on the pinch collar and what you think of it. I'm most likely going to give it a go, but I'm going to be very easy with it and if I notice any kind of pain intolerance's I'll stop.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] I have to commend you for trying to find a routine for her. I just have some concerns, since Lilly was practically crated her whole life with her previous owner, she might not see being crated for long periods as a correction and she might no relate being crated to her bathroom issues. She really has no idea what you want at all because she has no previous experience. I think for her you will need much more of positive reinforcement than corrections until you gain her trust. Once she starts understanding what you want, then she will also understand corrections. I don't think the pinch collar will for her at this stage either, since she is just going to be more afraid of going outside. I do think you need to take baby steps with her. LITERALLY. take her out, be patient, when she takes ONE step praise her, make a big deal out of it. She is afraid, everything is new, she will get there, you are doing awesome!! I think the idea of taking her to your friends house is a good one, if she is successful at pooping outside then you can make a big deal out of it, and hopefully lightbulbs will start turning in her head soon! keep us posted!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
[MENTION=4443]LiLlilly[/MENTION] I have to commend you for trying to find a routine for her. I just have some concerns, since Lilly was practically crated her whole life with her previous owner, she might not see being crated for long periods as a correction and she might no relate being crated to her bathroom issues. She really has no idea what you want at all because she has no previous experience. I think for her you will need much more of positive reinforcement than corrections until you gain her trust. Once she starts understanding what you want, then she will also understand corrections. I don't think the pinch collar will for her at this stage either, since she is just going to be more afraid of going outside. I do think you need to take baby steps with her. LITERALLY. take her out, be patient, when she takes ONE step praise her, make a big deal out of it. She is afraid, everything is new, she will get there, you are doing awesome!! I think the idea of taking her to your friends house is a good one, if she is successful at pooping outside then you can make a big deal out of it, and hopefully lightbulbs will start turning in her head soon! keep us posted!

I second this. She does not have the ability to put two and two together at this point. It sounds like her previous owners were complete a-holes.

In this situation I would treat her like a puppy until she develops more confidence. Give her some time and positive reinforcement. Leash her to your body around the house so she gets used to following you, and learns that you're the boss. This may take awhile but will bond you. When you're trying to get her to potty, squeeze her belly gently to encourage peeing/bowel movements. When Poppy was a pup we would have to stand and coax her at least 20 mins each potty break. Pretty annoying in Canadian winters, but at 5 months she finally understood "go pee" and goes on command.

The pinch collar may add to her already negative association with the outdoors. Have you tried a martingale collar? It tightens and the links make a clicking sound that is usually enough to get their attention. Have you tried walking her w/ another dog? This may bring some curiosity outta her and encourage her to move forward. Just some ideas to consider before a pinch collar and strict crate time. If in a month you still have no progress, then yes I would look into more regimented training. But for now a soft touch might be enough.

Good luck!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Whoops forgot to add that the one area not to be soft is the possessiveness. She needs to know it's not tolerated at all. Look up the "nothing in life is free" training method. She has to work for every toy and know that you can take them away at any time. Put a leash on her and practice dropping toys and making her wait for them. Sit beside her (side to side) while she chews and if she even gives you a dominating look, give a quick poke to the side (like Caesar Milan) and firmly say *NO*. Remember to always remain calm and not anticipate aggression but be ready to correct if it does happen. A leash pop to the side also snaps them out of it.

I would hand feed her right now. It will assert you as the boss while bonding you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.