Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 57

Thread: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

  1. #37
    Drool Catcher Poppy's Avatar
    Posts
    246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Hang in there! One of these days you will break her. Will she "go" off leash at a dog park? The combo of other dogs plus excitement plus smells might give her the kick she needs. That's where you jump in and praise the heck outta her, lol. Stick with it. It may not seem like it now but you are doing such a good thing giving her a home and rules and structure. Who knows what happened to the poor girl in the past that made her so fearful of "going". Anyway you can only focus on the future. It will work out.

    If it makes you feel better it took MONTHS for me to train my boy to stop crapping on the floor (and eating it!!). We all have our hard times lol.

  2. #38
    Bully Bootie Duty LiLlilly's Avatar
    Posts
    170
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Hang in there! One of these days you will break her. Will she "go" off leash at a dog park? The combo of other dogs plus excitement plus smells might give her the kick she needs. That's where you jump in and praise the heck outta her, lol. Stick with it. It may not seem like it now but you are doing such a good thing giving her a home and rules and structure. Who knows what happened to the poor girl in the past that made her so fearful of "going". Anyway you can only focus on the future. It will work out.

    If it makes you feel better it took MONTHS for me to train my boy to stop crapping on the floor (and eating it!!). We all have our hard times lol.

    Wow, thanks man.

    It may sound corny, but you guys really are helping me out and keeping me level headed. All the words of encouragement are very awesome, and whenever I read a post like that it gets my head out of the gutter. It's just very stressful right now because we just moved into a new apartment, and we don't want to ruin anything. And we don't want to ruin her anymore then she already is. I'm scared of causing more issues by correcting her incorrectly. Ugh, driving me crazy!!

    We were at a little park and I figured if no one was there I would try to get her to follow me off leash while no one is around. And she followed me around a path with little problems. She had it figured out pretty quick. We are thinking about going and living at my parents house for a little bit where she can hang out with my other bully chester. And learn his routine, and how he works. When they hang out she take a lot of interest in him. A little too much actually lol, she tries to woo him into doing the do haha! But its like once I take her out she just sits there. She has no interest at all in being out there, and can't wait to go home. I need to loosen her up a bit. So we also plan on borrowing my neighbors pit bull missy who is an amazing dog. She's looks and acts just like Daddy on the dog whisperer, so she would be a great dog for her to learn from as well. But she has more energy then my boy Chester, so I figured this would be better to get her to maybe play a little bit. She'll see Missy playing and maybe see its ok to have a little fun. There needs to be some kind of positive vibe there otherwise she just won't care.

    Here's the thing that's really been driving me up the wall though. Take this morning for example. I wake up, she pooped in her cage. Stunk up my whole apartment, so I take her out bathe her, and take her for a walk. Nothing. Come in, feed her/water her. As she's cleaning up the scraps, I sit down for ONE second, and she comes over and pees right on the rug. I don't yell, but I put her in her crate so I can clean it up. Start cleaning the pee, and she poops in her crate while I'm doing so!!! Once again, I don't yell or anything. I took her our cleaned her cage, and put her back in. Is that ok? Should I be doing something else? And it's like, why take her out after she just went to the bathroom on my rug. She doesn't have to go, and I think it's confusing her because she's not getting why. Let me know what you guys think, and thanks again for all the positive reinforcement, really means a lot, and helps tremendously when I get a little down on myself.

  3. #39
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    Relax, if you can. She is very very confused obviously. Poor thing, good she has you. Love and safety will make her feel secure. Secure enough to pooh in front of you? hope so. That's a good idea, another dog around her, remind her she's just like that. Your neighbors dog sounds like a great idea. Will he let you walk just the two of them alone? Often?
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  4. #40
    Bully Bootie Duty LiLlilly's Avatar
    Posts
    170
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    Relax, if you can. She is very very confused obviously. Poor thing, good she has you. Love and safety will make her feel secure. Secure enough to pooh in front of you? hope so. That's a good idea, another dog around her, remind her she's just like that. Your neighbors dog sounds like a great idea. Will he let you walk just the two of them alone? Often?
    We called her up and she's cool with us babysitting her from time to time, and take her for walks whenever. So I think we're going to start utilizing that more now. She's an awesome dog, and I love her. I'll take pics one day of them both together.

    A little issue now that we're running into is she has no problem soiling her cage :[

    So its like even though we do the right thing, she will rather sit in her own muck then go outside. That means waking up to her covered in poop every morning...I don't think so. So we decided to let her do her thing in the bathroom at night so she's not holding it for the cage. I need to find a way around that because I feel like letting her do it is just empowering her issue even more. But I can't make her wait like that. I had trouble falling asleep last night thinking she was in a lot of pain. This is just going to take a LONG time I think.

  5. #41
    Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vince00's Avatar
    Location
    Estevan, Sask
    Posts
    587
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)
    9

    Default

    Have you tried putting her poop outside where you want her to go? As well as soiled pads not new outside? The scent of previous times should trigger the "ok" to go. Wow not sure what I'd do first to be honest.

  6. #42
    Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    mcraven2's Avatar
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Boston MA
    Posts
    1,521
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    0
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    Definitely try the not looking at her when she is outside, when we adopted our 4 yr old frenchie 6 weeks ago she would only go to the bathroom inside. After a few weeks we were outside one morning and I dropped her leash and she literally walked like 15 yards away from me and went!! It was amazing, I guess she just wanted to go further away from us. She will still have an accident in the house once in awhile, but it went from 5 a day to maybe 1 or 2 a week! Its all about routine, we just bring her out at least every two hours and if she doesn't go we will bring her over to where Gio peed and once she smells it she goes. Also when Gio is going to the bathroom we just praise him and clap so when she sees that she usually goes right away. Good luck, don't give up you will get there eventually!!

  7. #43
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    It really sounds like her life was almost one of a Puppy Mill dog!!! I would definitely stop using the crate as a punishment or a time out ... because if her life HAS been one of a puppy mill dog or close to that then she will have got used to pooping and peeing in it. So to her way of thinking ... you're basically putting into her own personal toilet! I would keep the crate use to the barest minimum because there is a strong chance that the crate represents her past life. Let her know that pooping and peeing in the house is not good but also approach her with this simple knowledge. You have a special needs bully ... she will get up to speed eventually but sounds like she is emotionally and mentally starved right now. You may have a bully in an adult body, but sounds like emotionally you have a puppy. So from this day onwards start from the very beginning and pretend you have a 12 week old baby. I think that will help you if you treat her that way. And it will give her the time she needs to now grow with you as her guide.

  8. #44
    Bully Bootie Duty LiLlilly's Avatar
    Posts
    170
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    It really sounds like her life was almost one of a Puppy Mill dog!!! I would definitely stop using the crate as a punishment or a time out ... because if her life HAS been one of a puppy mill dog or close to that then she will have got used to pooping and peeing in it. So to her way of thinking ... you're basically putting into her own personal toilet! I would keep the crate use to the barest minimum because there is a strong chance that the crate represents her past life. Let her know that pooping and peeing in the house is not good but also approach her with this simple knowledge. You have a special needs bully ... she will get up to speed eventually but sounds like she is emotionally and mentally starved right now. You may have a bully in an adult body, but sounds like emotionally you have a puppy. So from this day onwards start from the very beginning and pretend you have a 12 week old baby. I think that will help you if you treat her that way. And it will give her the time she needs to now grow with you as her guide.

    Well put :]

    Now, what exactly is a puppy mill?

  9. #45
    Bully Bootie Duty LiLlilly's Avatar
    Posts
    170
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince00 View Post
    Have you tried putting her poop outside where you want her to go? As well as soiled pads not new outside? The scent of previous times should trigger the "ok" to go. Wow not sure what I'd do first to be honest.
    I haven't consistently done it, but I have brought her outside with it a couple times.

  10. #46
    Bully Bootie Duty LiLlilly's Avatar
    Posts
    170
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lilly, Chester
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    Quote Originally Posted by mcraven2 View Post
    Definitely try the not looking at her when she is outside, when we adopted our 4 yr old frenchie 6 weeks ago she would only go to the bathroom inside. After a few weeks we were outside one morning and I dropped her leash and she literally walked like 15 yards away from me and went!! It was amazing, I guess she just wanted to go further away from us. She will still have an accident in the house once in awhile, but it went from 5 a day to maybe 1 or 2 a week! Its all about routine, we just bring her out at least every two hours and if she doesn't go we will bring her over to where Gio peed and once she smells it she goes. Also when Gio is going to the bathroom we just praise him and clap so when she sees that she usually goes right away. Good luck, don't give up you will get there eventually!!
    I also thought this. I tried keeping her on the retractable leash, and then just letting her go loose. But she's SO scared of the outside she won't do anything but run home, or sit right next to me. I try making her walk away from me or me walk away, but she just comes right back to me and sits there. She'll also run under things. If there is a park bench in her sights when she off leash she runs to it and sits under it. If I call her once she's under there she would sit there all night, and not move if I let her. She's so afraid, it's very sad.

  11. #47
    Cooper11
    Guest

    Default Re: New Member! Having BIG problems...Help! :[

    I didn't read all the comments but I am thinking they are saying the same thing. She is already a year old and sounds like she didn't come from a loving family. it is going to take time and patience but she will learn all you want her to if you are persistent. You need to get her outside more and get her use to it. Make sure there is not a lot going on where ever you take car wether it be other dogs, cars, kids, loud construction....she will come over here fear sooner or later. The food and bone aggression is a hard one and I hope you don't have any little ones. If you do or if you don't you already know she has this problem and you need to be extra careful yourself and not bother her. I think this type of problem is something very hard to get them out of it. I wonder if she is a "mini" because they never fed her enough and she is just so hungry and use to not getting food,,,that when she does she doesn't want anyone to take it. I dunno if the term mini bulldog even exist but she is def a tiny one. The breeder I got my bully from had a past buyer post a pic of her 3 year old bully who weighs 23 lbs! So there are smaller English Bulldogs out there. But like I said just keep up the work. They say try canned pumpkin for loose stools. Also have you taken her to the vet yet....maybe parasites??? I would consider Fromm dog food....many have had good luck with that kind of food and it seems to mesh very good with bullies! Good Luck!

  12. #48
    Drool Catcher Poppy's Avatar
    Posts
    246
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Puppy mills are awful mass breeding facilities that are focused on profits over animal welfare. The dogs usually live their entire lives in cages in their own filth and no vet care. The social challenges you mention w. Lilly, i.e. the fear and hiding under things & soiling in her crate are all very common with a puppy mill dog. Of course it's hard to speculate and given the wrong owner any dog can turn out like that. For example when my boy was a pup he was terrified of outside noises, whenever a car drove by he would hit the deck. This is because he's from a breeder in a very small town in Manitoba. Like, population of 80.
    Now, amplify that by a year and constantly being crated and soiling in your crate and you have Lilly. Whatever it was it's done a real number on her.

    As for if you think your approach is working or not. If you have been consistent for months and your energy is calm and you've stuck with it, still no changes, then no it's not working for her. It depends on how long you've kept up the routine, the walks, and the encouragement. Have you noticed she seems more comfortable since you got her? Go for the small victories and work your way up.

    Anyway it may not be a bad idea to speak with a behaviourist and get their take on it as well. It's easy for us to provide you with encourage and tips, we all mean well and are so thrilled you have her. But a professionals advice might speed things up or give a perspective that is more primal, and less animal-lover-with-a-keyboard (me!).

    Good luck! Have a tall drink this weekend LOL

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •