Samson bit my Niece hard...

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Yep... sounds like little Lucille here. I had a behaviorist come to my house this week for my cutey. You will have to keep Sam tethered while they are there and if he wants something he has to be patient. Keep treat in your pocket at all times for when he's being good. I'm using the touch my hand gently and get a treat rule. If she goes after my hand to get something out of it, she gets a stern no and nothing else... I ignore her. After about 30 seconds I'll put my hand by her and tell her to touch it using 1 word and she will gently and she gets a treat. I've only been doing it since MOnday, and she's caught on quick.

C

Cooper11

Oh really, I guess there is a lot to consider. No my son does not feed him but I am sure he has never had a bad experience with a little girl I'm not sure what he's deal is, he has snapped at my sister in law as well but she is also very small and could be mistaken for a young girl in a dogs eyes , never my wife though

If you don't have any kids....my bet would be he is doing it because they are kids! I think almost every dog that is not around children a lot, they don't know how to take them. Kids can be rough an if any of them have even been a little rough in the past, even when he was younger, he may just be a little leery of them and it is a defense mechanism.....I would be a little worried about the baby coming but My sisters best friend has a dog and it is mean...he bites and nips at kids and adults...My little sister went to visit one time and she went to pet him and he bit her....he is maybe 5 or even 6 years old (the dog) ...well they just had a baby and he is soooo good with him and protective. I think it has changed him so there may be a positive to this. Once you have your baby and he learns that is precious cargo he may change...and when the baby is first born you are going to let your bully know how fagile the baby is and not really let him around her or watching him jumping on and off of stuff....I think they catch on pretty quick and by the time your baby is crawling around and being the annoying little baby that pulls furs he will probably be very gentle. SO hopefully the fact of you having a baby will help him a lot. And if you already have kids...well...then I dunno what to tell you. I just know that most of my dogs have grew up around kids ...my jake who has passed was sooo gentle with my daughter when she was born....and he had not been a round a baby in a LONG time and I noticed when she was sleeping he wold be her protector and lay by her and when she was awake and maybe being a little rough he may had nipped at her but a nip in a gentle like warning that hurts type of way. It is amazing how gentle they can be instinctively!

You life makes a big change when that baby come and he will notice that everything has changed.....so i am looking forward to reading updates!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Samson is 16 months old, so he's a big boy. And he's not one of those chubby bullies, he's a lean quick little bugger. The trainer did give us a lead to use with him , and a lot of good information for when guests come to the house. He pulls so hard when he wants to attack something ( such as the vaccum cleaner) some times it's hard to give him a quick jerk as a correction when he continues to pull. I was thinking in investing in a pinch collar, I believe that's what it's called. Thank you for the information, I will continue to work with him, and thank you for the pm! ---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uejlr4

The prong collar is a great tool, but I would be hesitant to use it on a bully due to the potential issues with the trachea. The loop lead again... hesitate. Sorry if you said this, but I do not remember -- do you submit him when he does unwanted behavior? REALLY submit him -- grab his neck and put him on his side and hold him there till you tell him he can move.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Yes I do have a 4 year old and Samson has always been awesome with him! I think he has been sensing the changes in the house

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] no actually I do not do that. I actually did it last night for the first time, and it took about 25-30 min for complete complete submission

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama no actually I do not do that. I actually did it last night for the first time, and it took about 25-30 min for complete complete submission

EXCELLENT!! Do that every time he does something you do not want -- he will quickly start to accept you as alpha and begin listening. This all does not happen quickly, but the more you do it the fast he will catch on.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Mannn!!! Samson tries to attack the hell out of the vaccum cleaner when my wife vaccums!! I submitted him this time and he stayed on the floor and didn't move a muscle Untill I let him. She vaccumed in peace for the first time in months

C

Cooper11

Mannn!!! Samson tries to attack the hell out of the vaccum cleaner when my wife vaccums!! I submitted him this time and he stayed on the floor and didn't move a muscle Untill I let him. She vaccumed in peace for the first time in months
:ROFL: Sorry this makes me laugh....I think my Cooper must be the biggest woos ever! He does try to attack the broom when I am sweeping but when it comes to the vacuum he is hella scared! paces and runs around the house to get away from the vacuum. I freaks even before I turn the thing on!

Last edited:
OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh yeah haha, Samson attacks brooms as well lol... The vaccum cleaner is fine Untill you turn it on, then he thinks it's some kind of monster he needs to kill

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

GREAT JOB.... stay consistent and he will be a sweet obedient boy soon enough. Keep in mind -- this has got to be a life style with him as it is with Banks -- once you let your guard down they will take that opportunity.

BTW -- Banks also attacks the vacuum cleaner --- I have to hold a trash bag (yes, she is afraid of them) in my hand and rustle it so she stays away.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Lol, weird... I think it is my fault tho, I had an old broom I would hold in the air and let him hang on , it was a work out for Thr both of us... Untill he got too big and it broke... I was quik to realize it was a mistake when I went to sweep.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lol, weird... I think it is my fault tho, I had an old broom I would hold in the air and let him hang on , it was a work out for Thr both of us... Untill he got too big and it broke... I was quik to realize it was a mistake when I went to sweep.

LOL...amazing how they can turn anything into a toy or obsession

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Can I ask too, how the 2 yr old is with him? I have seen small children grab hair, pull tails, ears, etc, when no one else is watching - they're still babies and don't realize, but they can agitate a dog enough to make them snap I think. Sometimes 2 yr olds can be very loud, or suddenly scream or cry, or even shriek or laugh loudly, and freak out a dog who isn't used to it or is startled by it. A friend of mine had a little boy who grabbed at the their dog while it was eating, and the dog snapped at him. Her husband got rid of the dog and she was very upset, because she felt the dog had reason to do that, and the child wasn't hurt but her hsband wasn't having it. I honestly wouldn't be too worried about it, I'd just maybe limit time with the baby and the dog esp. if someone can't be right there should something happen quickly.

ETA Was your 6 yr old niece acting scared of the dog, or talking in a loud voice, approach him quickly, or doing anything your dog wasn't used to? I feel sadly she got bitten and the poor thing was very upset - I'm just trying to understand why your otherwise sweet dog would do something like that...

Last edited:
OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Honestly she never bothers with him... And I have come to realize it is a protection issue. Samson was always fine with everyone such a nice dog. When my wife became pregnant he got very protective of her. Since my wife has given birth to our son on Monday... Samson has got twice as aggressive. I don't know of aggressive or protective is the word to use. He doesn't let our other dog in the room with the baby and he doesnt let company around the baby either. I have to keep him on a leash and I am almost 100 percent certain if I didn't keep him on a leash he would seriously harm to anyone (excluding my wife or 4 year old) any company that comes over he is like this too accept for my close friends who were around when he was growing up( we also play poker every night in the garage and Sam is with us so he knows them well) he doesn't let anyone near the baby besides us. He always lays infront of us with the baby blocking anyone from coming near... I just don't know what to do anymore...

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Just wanted to say congrats on the new baby! [MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION] Sorry to hear you are still having troubles. :(

Most Reactions