Samson bit my Niece hard...

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm having a little trouble with Samson... Shocking trouble ... I have a 4 and a half year old that sAmson is greAt with. They love eachothrr and Sam would never think of biting him... However about a month ago Samson lunged at my 2 year old niece , I really was shocked by this. A few hours later our 6 year old Niece came over and as soon as she got her coat and stuff off he ran up and bit her in her hand pretty bad. I would never have expected this from Sam. I have noticed he rips toys out of my sons hand. He always gets a firm no and Is corrected. He has never hurt our son or even attempted to which is why I'm just boggled. I have had a "dog whisperer" type of guy come over for a 2 hour session and given me a bunch of exercises to do, this was just last week though. I don't know if Sam has gotten any better but my sister in law came over and I think he tried to snap at her hand but he was too slow. Just my reason for posting I guess if anyone has ANY tips or suggestions I am open to try anything. We are having a baby in about a month so I'd like to work with him as much as possible !

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Did your trainer suggest placing sam on lead when you think he may do this? You can control him and it will teach him that he can not just jump or nip at things or people.

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water... when does anything you deem unacceptable squirt him right in the face with a firm NO.

I am also going to send you a PM.

C

Cooper11

I'm having a little trouble with Samson... Shocking trouble ... I have a 4 and a half year old that sAmson is greAt with. They love eachothrr and Sam would never think of biting him... However about a month ago Samson lunged at my 2 year old niece , I really was shocked by this. A few hours later our 6 year old Niece came over and as soon as she got her coat and stuff off he ran up and bit her in her hand pretty bad. I would never have expected this from Sam. I have noticed he rips toys out of my sons hand. He always gets a firm no and Is corrected. He has never hurt our son or even attempted to which is why I'm just boggled. I have had a "dog whisperer" type of guy come over for a 2 hour session and given me a bunch of exercises to do, this was just last week though. I don't know if Sam has gotten any better but my sister in law came over and I think he tried to snap at her hand but he was too slow. Just my reason for posting I guess if anyone has ANY tips or suggestions I am open to try anything. We are having a baby in about a month so I'd like to work with him as much as possible !
How old is your bully?

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I'm no expert or probably not enough experience to even comment but I suspect a leash on him to approach others and correct his behaviors as it's introduced to snap him out of that zone before he gets there or starts to get agitated would be the first thing I would do also. I've never tried the water bottle squirt and hoping I don't have to as I want to be able to handle them via body language and energy if all that craze works. Sorry I can't help more but a leash will be able to get you under control and be ready when the company comes and you can correct him as you go.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I know Christine will give you great advice. This is very serious..especially with a new baby coming. We have always used the leash and a firm hand on that leash as a correction to behavioral issues. Hang in there.

C

Cooper11

I agree with [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] You really need to be firm with him too. He needs to know who is boss! Do you get a reaction from him when he knows he bites...does he act like he did something wrong!?

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson is 16 months old, so he's a big boy. And he's not one of those chubby bullies, he's a lean quick little bugger. The trainer did give us a lead to use with him , and a lot of good information for when guests come to the house. He pulls so hard when he wants to attack something ( such as the vaccum cleaner) some times it's hard to give him a quick jerk as a correction when he continues to pull. I was thinking in investing in a pinch collar, I believe that's what it's called. Thank you for the information, I will continue to work with him, and thank you for the pm!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uejlr4

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Samson's biting is a reaction to something else. He's not going to bite anyone unless he feels threatened in some way. While you're using that leash, I'd also suggest watching him for signs he's feeling like he might have to bite --- BEFORE the bite.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hmm what could he be doing? My wife is 8 month pregnant could he be being over protective , both children were right beside my wife when he went for them. Also out little puppy, I don't know if she is in heat but she's constantly humping Samson, all Thr time , when he sleeps, when they play, as soon as they get up in the morning. He doesn't act like it bothers him, but we stop her right away...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?wwad4d

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
[MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION] As I was reading, Sam has only attecked girls coming into your house?? It might be a protection issue, that I agree on. It is just wierd. Maybe he is reading something?

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Yes that's correct, he's a sweet dog too that I never would have expected anything like this from. My Brice's come over all the time for birthday party's and Christmas and there has never been an issue

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm wondering if the little dog humping him is part of the problem. Since that's a dominate thing. :hmm: [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..what do you think?

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
It sounds like Samson is going through puberty. Becoming a grown up bulldog. And, with another puppy around, it sounds like the family structure is changing, with even bigger changes to come.

Does your daughter feed Samson? Teach him? Is she "in charge" of him? Maybe you could practice letting some of the other children do his tricks with him. Dogs naturally feel superior to little people (they are the weak ones, the dog is strong) and unless you actively remind him that children are in charge of him, ALL children, it will be easy for him to mistake the other children (that don't have authority over him, neices and friends) for outsiders beneath him.

I also had dog once that didn't like short black men. For whatever reason, she was fine with every guys of every other color, height, appearance. We got her at 4 or 5 years old, so I'm not sure where it came from, but, maybe Samson has had a bad experience with a little girl? Paisley doesn't like hats. Not aggressive not like, but, shys away from people wearing them. Dogs notice the small things we don't even notice.

OP
mbuxx

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh really, I guess there is a lot to consider. No my son does not feed him but I am sure he has never had a bad experience with a little girl I'm not sure what he's deal is, he has snapped at my sister in law as well but she is also very small and could be mistaken for a young girl in a dogs eyes , never my wife though

Staff online

Members online