House breaking and bladder control

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I need info from other Bully parents. It's been a long time since I've house broken a puppy but I've been doing a lot of refreshing my memory on this forum and online. My little guy is 10 weeks now. He is really doing great and has only had a few number 2 accidents since he came into our home two weeks ago. Part of this reason I contribute to having only hard surface floors with just a few throw rugs. He even has what we call a poopy dance :) when he has to go and hurries out the door once his leash is on to do his business. He has great health and seems to be very smart and already knows a few commands/words, but he also has a stubborn side, as I understand most bullies do :).

But tinkling is a whole other issue and where my question comes in. How long did your pup take to control their urine. We do kennel and I have even partitioned the kennel to lessen the space, since dogs usually won't wet in their sleeping areas. They usually hold it if they can which increases their control. Sometimes he makes it through the night so I know he can, but most of time he doesn't. We kennel during the day from 7:30 until noon when my son gets home. His towel is usually wet again. We have a fairly set schedule, take him immediately out upon waking and every half hour or forty-five minutes when he is awake, otherwise he will tinkle anytime the urge hits and its usually just a little puddle, so it is not like he really had to go. A couple of times he has tinkled right next to me, no whining no warning. The breeder had them using a litter box which we used that first week, but he made a bigger mess playing in it, and rarely used it after the first couple of days and then only doing #2. I'm sure he would use puppy pads given the option, but I'm concerned that this will encourage peeing in the house even more and last week after I mopped all the floors he was worse than ever! I even checked the floor cleaner to make sure there wasn't any ammonia in that might add an encouraging scent.

Maybe he is just too young to have enough control yet? I also have to limit his water, which I hate. He does seem to drink a lot, but then I'm not sure how much is normal for a pup. I do take water away after 9 at night.

I will also add that he goes to bed at 10, always goes out before bed and then again at 5 when hubby leaves for work. Puppy loves his sleep, is very laid back and never cries or barks to wake us, since the first night in his crate.

I'd would appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The rule of thumb is pups can hold it for 1 hour per each month of age...plus an hour! So a 10 week old pup is capable of 3 to 4 hours. Sometimes they will be ble to go longer..but I wouldn't trust it for housebreaking purposes! I took Jake out every 30 minutes during the day nd right after playing or waking up. Also after eating they are ready to go very quickly. He made it through the night..from about 10 to 4:30 at about 4 months. He never had an accident in his crate and only peed once by the door. And that was my fault for letting my hubby be in charge! :cursing: I was on him like flies on :poo: for 2 sold weeks. But that push really made a difference! Hope this helps!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I just finished pottie training! :) Brutus is now 8mnths and it was very hard! Fortunately I don't work so I had all day to train him! He caught on quick but boy was he stubborn! He would sometimes tell me and sometimes he wanted to mark! I have a female as well and he wasnt neutered at the time! Ugh what we did was the crate method I call it! He never had full roam of the house until I trusted him not to have accidents! Baby gates are great!! :) our schedule was the same everyday to give him routine...about 5-10 mins after water/food go out for pottie same spot always... During playtime every 1 hr take outside and so on! I did a treat reward it seemed to work! They usually pee right away after sleeping! If an accident happens and you don't catch them you don't correct it! Some say otherwise! It's what works for you! Definatley feed in the crate as they won't soil where sleep/eat! The crate is home until they are accident free! Lol Hope you understand my ramble lol I am doing this from the IPhone and the app really wasn't worth it! :) let me know if you need anything !

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.659069,-74.233441

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great info from [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION]

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
dont forget one very important factor,BULLDOG!!,if they choose to become lazy,start scent marking,naughty,and when they become a teenager ,they may go back to soiling the house ,to me they are one of the most demanding breeds,annie is 20 months and still pees if she decides she will :lol:,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Be consistent! Dogs love routine. Stick with it and it will happen. Never scold a dog for pottying in the house. You'll only teach them to be sneaky and/or fear you.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online