Stubborn Walker

Kkennedy219

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
Hi, there,

My eight month old English bulldog Murphy really seems to hate going for a walk. When I pull his harness out of the drawer, he runs and hides under the stairs. Once I pull him out from under the stairs, he lets me put the harness on him, but then plops down and refuses to get up. When I give him, the "get up" command, he obeys and will walk along nicely for about twenty yards or so and then he will plop down again and refuse to budge. I end up pulling him along and coaxing him with treats to get him to move. He doesn't seem to be afraid of anything, so I think he's just being stuborn.

If I really insist by pulling him along, he'll walk OK with a plop-down every couple minutes, which is annoying. Is this a typical bulldog thing? I've heard of bulldogs pulling on their leashes a lot, but no one else seems to have to pull their dog along when walking.

Would a head collar or front-hook harness help at all?

Thanks for any advice!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to you and Murphy..... I have to say, this is the first I heard of a bully not wanting to go for a walk. Both my bullies have always LOVED going for a walk. Banks does not like the harness, but she has no choice. Why not try a neck collar as long as he does not pull you can use it for short walks.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I'm having the same difficulty with my Kain at 12 weeks old... I can get him moving and them BAMN out of no where just sits and refuses to move, I crouch down he thinks treat comes forward and then i get up move the leash length again and have to repeat. I'm the only one on the block who has to coax my dog a leash at a time to walk. Then on the side of the block approaching the house he wants to run and pull me.

Crossing my fingers hoping he gets past this as I don't treat when he stops, I try to treat when he is walking good but man oh man I hear you on this one.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. I hope some of our behaviorists see this post and respond. Princess Gracie doesn't like going for walks but once we get her going she never stops like you say Murphy does. Anyway, sorry I can't be of help but wanted to say hi and hope you get help soon... There is an introduction forum so if you would, Im sure everyone would love to see some pix of Murphy and hear about he and his family. Thanx again for joining.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake does the same thing with his harness. He runs and I have to catch him..:cursing: it's a short chase..because his heart really isn't in it! Once I get the harness on him..he does like to walk. But he is a horrible puller and I really have to keep him on a tight rein. My sister actually is a dog trainer. What we did when Jake was little, in order to acclimate him to a leash and harness..we put a collar first..with leash...and let him drag it around the house. Supervised of course! We did it for short periods of time working up to about an hour. Then we took him outside and just walked around our yard with the leash on. Starting and stopping..we let him drag the leash outside too. Soon he was totally comfortable with the feel of the leash and collar. We then went to a harness and did the exact same thing. I was told by my vet..not to use a collar on walks because of unwanted pressure on their throats. Jake wears a collar all the time..just to hold his tags and of course..it is a fashion statement! :laugh: I would just relax..take it slow..you have a :bulldog: and it's just different!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
'.you have a :bulldog: and it's just different!"

That about says it all right there!!! LOL

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I don't know if I can be much help. Rook is actually a pretty good walker once we get going. One thing I have noticed - He HATES/REFUSES to start our walks by going North down our street. If I try to get him to go that way he will sit and refuse to go any further. If we start off going any other direction or even just crossing over to the sidewalk on the other side of the street he does really well... only have to coax him along occasionally. We can walk around the block and go North on any other street... and he has no problem walking South on our street to get back home. I have no idea what that is all about, because nothing traumatic has ever happened to him on any of our walks. It's just another one of his weird bully quirks.
Maybe walking in a different direction will get your guys moving too. Probably not, but I thought I'd it out there in case your pups are as goofy as mine. :)

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Bruin hates walking, most of the time I have to drag/coax him out just to go pee & poops, nevermind an actual walk around the block! Lilly is a nut, so she's always good to go, mostly pulling, especially if we're walking them together, because she HAS to be in front of Bruin walking. She's so domineering :nope:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Welcome to Murphy and owner..!

I read your post a few times... but Im still missing what the problem is.
Your Bulldog doesnt like to go for walks.? So he stays home on the couch and watch tV
with you... Where's the problem...?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I don't know if I can be much help. Rook is actually a pretty good walker once we get going. One thing I have noticed - He HATES/REFUSES to start our walks by going North down our street. If I try to get him to go that way he will sit and refuse to go any further. If we start off going any other direction or even just crossing over to the sidewalk on the other side of the street he does really well... only have to coax him along occasionally. We can walk around the block and go North on any other street... and he has no problem walking South on our street to get back home. I have no idea what that is all about, because nothing traumatic has ever happened to him on any of our walks. It's just another one of his weird bully quirks.
Maybe walking in a different direction will get your guys moving too. Probably not, but I thought I'd it out there in case your pups are as goofy as mine. :)

Sooooo..you think he's a "Rebel" Bully?? :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: Ohhhh. I crack myself up!

:hmm: I just saw you're in Canada..might not get my joke! Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.