Hooey around other dogs...

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
I feel so bad for my bully because NO other dogs like him. My mother had a yorkie & Hooey always wanted to play with her & she HATED him. Literally would go crazy barking if Hooey was even around. She was the only other dog Hooey has ever really been around so I just kinda figured okay..she's a girl & maybe shes just used to being the only dog around & is getting kind of bitchy. Well, my MIL has a male shih-tzu & he also hates Hooey, refuses to play with him & anytime Hooey is around goes crazy barking. The only time a dog has been calm and acted normal around hooey is when Hooey was around a full grown lab once, they played fine & the lab seemed to like Hooey. I didnt know if it was because the yorkie & shih-tzu are so small & Hooey just seems so big and aggressive compared to them or its just Hooeys vibe.

My nephew recently got a pit bull puppy. He is about 10 weeks old and ALL hooey does when he is around him is sniff his private parts..literally he will do it forever if we would let him. We are very stern with him & say NO! & pull him away but he just continues to do it. Anyone have any suggestions??

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
First off. Hooey looks very handsome in your avatar photo.
Sometimes small toy dogs are very defensive around other dogs and may take many days of living together to "chill out" .....

Try taking him to a doggy park and see how other similar sized dogs interact with him..
That would at least put your doubts to rest...

Good luck & let us know how it goes if you do go to one...

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey! I have a little exp in this...my mom has a maltese 7 yrs old and he and Brutus 5 mnths do not play together as the maltese is scared of Brutus b/c he is bigger lol My mom also has a boxer and she and Brutus play all day/night... I have a 5 yr old pitbull and when Brutus first arrived we let them smell eachother as long as they both were calm and not aggressive(pitbull) toward eachother..Thats then getting to know eachother....Now they are deep in love! lol But it really could also be the other dogs arent properly socialized as well! I KNOW ITS NOT HOOEY! I Havent met him and I wanna play/hug/kiss him lol

OP
hparker37

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
The shih-tzu & the yorkie were the "only dogs" in both homes so maybe it is because Hooey is coming onto their territory. Thanks for your help ChanelNBrutus..of course it can't be Hooey..He does NO wrong! ;) He's such a spoiled brat!

Jack Daniels..Im super jealous your bully sat long enough to take a pic with the glasses on. Hooey would NOT be game for that! lol Its tooo cute!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] stated - the other dogs may not be well socialized. Also, as long as the pups are not being aggressive, allow them to 'say hello' (sniff butts) if either dog does not want it taking place they will correct the other dog.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I agree with the others here that the other dogs have not been socialize with other dogs. And bulldogs are so playfull and super happy when they meet other dogs that sometimes they forget the other dogs boundaries. Take him to a doggy daycare for a couple of days a week or maybe take a class at your local Petco or Petsmart. That will help him to interact better with other dogs.
Dont feel to sad, the same thing happend to me when Mocha was a baby and it would break my heart , but she has learn and it does get better!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.