Training classes

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Are training classes a waist of time for a bully? I'm thinking about enrolling myself and my 12 week old girl in some basic classes (like a Petsmart class or something). Any feedback?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
@spunkysmom I think it is a good idea to go and and get some basic classes. I also think Cesar Millan's show is the best when it comes to teaching respect to your dog. Daily play time, exercise , and clear rules will help your dog in everyday life.
I love that show!!!. Mocha is spoiled and we love her so much , but she does have certain rules around the house that she knows she have to obey.

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
I did a lot of training with sumo on my own. She learned really fast and could do most of the basic commands. However, I found that outside of my house she wasn't listening as well because she was distracted. I did the petsmart beginner classes and i thought they were great. You do them in the store so the pups are surrounded by distractions and learn to listen when there are other dogs around. I also learned some really valuable tools i didnt have like loose leash walking. Definitely worth it!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
English Bulldogs are smart and they really need to be trained as well. Weather you can motivate a bulldog to do what you want him/her to do is up to you. Training classes are often just as important to the human as they are for the dog and training your bulldog is going to make your life together much easier. When you exercise your dog physically you get a fitter dog and when you exercise your dog mentally you're going to get a smarter and better behaved dog.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
This is good, I am going to register for the Petsmart basic training along with my husband. Spunky is the same way outside, very distracted but if I squat down and call she comes running. And I LOVE dog whisperer my favorite show!!!! I'm excited to train her and set her up to succeed, we're new with bullies but find it a healthy challenge. Thanks everyone!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I took Nigel to a basic training class that the vet offered and he did very well. At times his stubborn streak would show but the trainer said that you may have to repeat your commands more with bulldogs but once they get it they do really well and he was right....nowadays you just hold up a treat and Nigel lays down without even being told...Proud mama here :)

Have fun!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Absolutely NOT... it is great for socializing and it is up to you to get through the stubbornness of your bully. Without training classes Banks would never had made it into daycare

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thanks for the advice everyone, we are going to enroll her and us and I'm excited for the outcome!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Training classes are NEVER a waste! Besides the obvious learning stuff and socialization, it's a great opportunity for you to bond with your pup! Also a great opportunity for you to exercise your pack leadership! (PLUS it's soooooo fun!)

Most Reactions