My monsters.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
So. I had mentioned in another post a little while back how Brooke and Frankie have been rebelling since school started up again. Frankie was always gated in the kitchen and Brooke allowed out. But then it started with them peeing and pooping in the house while we were gone. Then Brooke started chewing the coffee table and Frankie started chewing the windowsill. So I put a cayenne pepper solution on the areas and it stopped. Next I figured maybe they wouldn't be so lonely and want to destroy things if we put them both in the kitchen together. The first day was perfect, no accidents and no new chewing. The second day we came home to their bed completely torn apart and stuffing everywhere. So they have been in the kitchen now with no bed, just their usual toys (4 nylabones, two kong extremes, and their goughnuts stick and ring) since I figured there's nothing left to destroy, since the windowsill already needs refinished and they can't reach anything else. Yesterday they proved me wrong by eating a hole in the sheetrock above where their bowls are. It's not even a corner or something just a plain flat wall and only about 6 inches away from an electrical outlet. Also I can't be sure who even did it. So they are in their crates today. They are only ever crated at night when we sleep so I know how sad and confused they must be, but I have no other alternatives. I'm so upset about it but I really have no other choice. Will I ever be able to trust them again?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Wow. Eating a hole in the wall is a bit extreme!! I hear the frustration in your typing and wish you luck. I hope one of the behaviorists here can help you ..... Hang in there! :hug:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old are they?

Is it possible to leave them out at night and in during the day? Since you are home, they may just go and lay in the open crate after you all go to bed.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey! My Chanel (pitbull) did this for 1 yr and omg it was horrible...SHe went through couches, beds, tv, doors, it was crazy!!!! SHe had severe separation anxiety b/c I was always with her lol I was told by a trainer to get ready to leave do my normal routine go outside wait 1 min and go inside greet her wait 2 mins do that again but now stay outside for 2 mins and so on just keep increasing the time frames to gain her trust as long as nothing was being done bad and they know if they dont do anything when you come back in the door rubs, treats will be waiting..It def will take sometime for them to learn this but maybe worth a try for you... it definalty worked 4 years later she has full run of our home! Hope you get some answers !

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd suggest getting up MUCH earlier and taking them both for a walk to tire them out before you go. A tired pup is a good pup. I'd also suggest not giving them all the toys at once but rotating them so they're "new" every so often.

There are some awesome Cesar Millan episodes on this topic too. Might give you some more ideas? Here's another link you may find helpful: http://www.cesarsway.com/newsandevents/videos/Cesars-Class-on-Separation-Anxiety-Part-1

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Frankie will be 2 in July and Brooke just turned 1.
The only reason we don't leave them out at night is because they would try to sleep with us on the bed, and my boyfriend will not allow it (we have a full sized bed and it's small for two people without two bullies added).
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] that's a great idea! I'm not sure it's all separation anxiety with my guys though. They don't bark or cry when I leave and don't try to sneak out and come with me like I've seen some dogs do. I think they are just totally pissed that we leave them.

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I just don't see that as feasible. It's still dark out when we get up and I would definately not feel comfortable walking them alone in the dark (not only nervous about weirdos but we also have a lot of coyotes here). We also do rotate the toys when we're home. They only ones that they have constantly are their nylabones. The only other toys I leave out when we aren't here are their kong extremes and their goughnuts stick and ring (on occasion their westpaw tux). I just don't trust them to not destroy and eat pieces off of anything else when I'm not here to watch and take it away to prevent choking or a blockage. When we're home we rotate their other toys, orbee balls, pickle pocket, antlers, etc. I'll definately watch some of those dog whisperer episodes for some additional ideas! Thanks!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2514]Sarah[/MENTION] - maybe this will be easier for you in the spring/summer when it's lighter in the morning? You start doing this and you'll not want to start your day any other way, I'm tellin' ya. It's awesome.

How about confining them in one small area with their crates? An area where there's less stuff to chew up? I think this is a stage and they're going to get through it. (At least I hope so for your house's sake) Is your husband/partner a carpenter? hahahahaha I hope so!

OP
Sarah

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] Yeah it'd be much easier once it's lighter out and when we're done with school in May.
They were confined in the kitchen, where I thought there would be the least destruction possible and that's where they ate the windowsill and wall. The only other place would be the basement, no sheetrock or windowsills to eat, but it's cold down there and the floor is painted concrete and the paint comes off when the floor gets wet so if they licked it or something they could injest it. And no my boyfriend is not a carpenter but he will be after all of this haha. Plus we don't even own our place, it's a townhouse rental, so we cannot allow this to continue.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.