Introducing a rescue today...

Vickiebarrios

Aug 6, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Good Morning Friends!

I got a call on Saturday that a local rescue needs a foster for Gunny. (Not my choice in name) Gunny has a biting history. He is 2 years old, neutered, and has had his tail removed due to MAJOR infection. According to a dog trainer I have very little confidence in states that Gunny has trust issues. His owner surrendered him to the pound due to biting. My gut, intuition, ESPN... Believes he was neglected. The BIG warning I heard was he is afraid of quick movement and noises. He attacks killer vacuum cleaners. I have two 12 year old kids. A golden retriever, Steve and cocker spaniel, Daisie. The trainer who has only spent 45 minutes with Gunny wants him in a muzzle and to become crate trained. Should I assume the trainer knows best and keep him muzzled until he proves himself, 3-4 weeks as she stated? Do I assume he hates everything and feed him separately and keep him crated while my older dogs have free roaming ability? I want Gunny to have the best possible experience. If I had the $1000 homing fee I would just adopt him; however I have to be okay with the thought he will eventually have a forever home. Since his prior owner stated he bit 3 times we are his only hope... He will be euthanized otherwise.

Any thoughts on how to do this introduction?

Attachments

• Steve.jpg
    Steve.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 121
  • Gunny.jpg
    Gunny.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 11-0D7876F7-80833-960.jpg
    11-0D7876F7-80833-960.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 129

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Well the trainer kind of set you up to fail by focusing on the reaction and not the cause. Who knows what he has been through before the behaviorist saw him. However he is the expert so for the interim I would follow the guidelines. Introduce on neutral territory (not your house or yard), then go for a walk with all the dogs. Make sure Gunny is tired before entering your home. Make sure your kids know that they have to stay calm and quiet during the first meeting, to not overwhelm him.

DEFINITELY feed him separately. I do this with all foster dogs just to simplify things for them. They have no competition and therefore perceive no threat. I would hand feed him, or make him stop and sit during feedings, sort of like the "nothing in life is free" training method.

I'm sure you will quickly sense what kind of dog he is once you get him. If he can be trusted to be out of the crate w. the other dogs, I would keep him on a waist leash. This will bond you to him and slowly build his confidence. If he needs to be muzzled then so be it, keep him muzzled, exercise the heck outta him and make your boundaries clear. Eventually the trust will develop.

Good luck :) !! Bless you for opening your home and being this dogs last chance.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well the trainer kind of set you up to fail by focusing on the reaction and not the cause. Who knows what he has been through before the behaviorist saw him. However he is the expert so for the interim I would follow the guidelines. Introduce on neutral territory (not your house or yard), then go for a walk with all the dogs. Make sure Gunny is tired before entering your home. Make sure your kids know that they have to stay calm and quiet during the first meeting, to not overwhelm him.

DEFINITELY feed him separately. I do this with all foster dogs just to simplify things for them. They have no competition and therefore perceive no threat. I would hand feed him, or make him stop and sit during feedings, sort of like the "nothing in life is free" training method.

I'm sure you will quickly sense what kind of dog he is once you get him. If he can be trusted to be out of the crate w. the other dogs, I would keep him on a waist leash. This will bond you to him and slowly build his confidence. If he needs to be muzzled then so be it, keep him muzzled, exercise the heck outta him and make your boundaries clear. Eventually the trust will develop.

Good luck :) !! Bless you for opening your home and being this dogs last chance.

EXCELLENT advice.... also, after the walk, be sure you and your dog enter the home before him

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
[MENTION=2953]Vickiebarrios[/MENTION] how is Gunny doing?

Most Reactions