Potty training

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Spunky is now 11 1/2 weeks, my husband and I bought a bell for the door to help potty train her. She does well when we take her out to do her business, though she still doesn't let us know when he has to go (sniff the door, stand by the door etc.). Right now we take her paw and hit the bell to take her out, we also use treats to get her to ring it, though
If we don't do this, she will just squat and pee anywhere (inside). Any other suggestions for teaching her to tell US with the bell? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329077387.478968.jpg

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Good luck! Brooklyn is 1 and she still doesn't tell us. We just make sure we take her out often and try to get into a routine. Frankie is better about holding it, but he doesn't tell us either.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Do what you are doing consistently, but it's probably going take a bit longer, she is still a puppy.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
It took us two months to bell train Penny - be patient! We had actually given up & she started doing it on her own. For a long time we were the only ones ringing the bell! I would keep doing what you are doing. You can "charge" the behavior - just practice ringing & going out over an over. We didn't treat for bell ringing because we were really treating the pottying outside - maybe she would have learned quicker Im not sure! Once she gets it be prepared for her to ring it just because she'd like to lay in the grass! ;) Just be consistent - she'll get it. I love the bell training & will do it again if we ever have other dogs. I love that we can take it to my in laws or where ever & she still uses
It consistently. It's worth all the bell ringing you will do at first!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2594]MissPennyLue[/MENTION] gave you great advice to follow

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Thanks everyone, we will keep practicing and let everyone know when she rings it on we own. She is so stubborn ;)

Casey Seevers

Dec 14, 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson
We didn't introduce a bell until Maddie was seven months old because it was a last resort for us. She had bladder problems and UTIs until she was spayed. Id say she didn't use it consistently till she was a year old and she really only uses it as a last resort. She figured out her own way of telling us by pawing us. My advice would be to just keep it up and make sure to watch for other signs your bully might come up with. Also idk about your bell but ours looks similar and we can only hear it if we are in the kitchen with her when she rings it. Just a heads up that ours doesn't ring it very loud at all. Fyi Madrid is a boxer so she can reach it w her nose. We didn't train our bully to ring a bell cus he was super easy to potty train. Wish you luck!

Most Reactions