Crating bulldog while at work

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I have a question for those experienced bulldog owners in this forum. My Watson is 8 months old and 99% housetrained and crate trained. During the weekdays, I leave him in a 36in crate while I am at work for about 8 to 10 hours. I have a dog walker that comes by around noon time to walk him and let him go potty. He is never crated any other time. He sleeps in my bed at night. Once I come home from work he doesn't go back in the crate ever. On the weekends he doesn't get crated at all but he does go in their for naps on his own with the door open. My dog walker told me today that I should think about letting him roam the apartment and not crate him while I am at work because he will be cramped up all day in the crate. My impression is he sleeps most of the day when I am at work because when I come home he is always snoozing and barely wants to come out when i open up the door to the crate. Because I live in an apartment I don't want him to chew off the cabinets or anything that is part of the building. I would not be too mad even if he chewed up my sofa. Do you guys think crating him for 8-10 hours is too much even with a break in the middle of the day with the dogwalker? And if it is, how do you guys suggest testing him out as far as letting him roam the apartment? I was think of confining him to the living room for now. Any input would be much appreciated!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I think it is just fine to crate him for 4-5 hours at a time. You will notice that even if he's not crated, he'll still be just snoozing the day away. Bullie is not crated, I work from home so I'm always there. He has my other dog as his playmate, and he still snoozes for 4-5 hours at a time during the day...

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Our dogs sleep in their crates for the 4 hours a day that no one is home (except Bre because she is a well behaved old gal). I would say as long as your dog walker pops by to take him out for a little stretch there is no reason he can't be in the crate while you are gone. I would venture to guess that even if most bullies were allowed to roam free...all they would do is sleep anyway. :)

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I just noticed your avatar. It looks like Wilson has light brown eyes. Does he? That is so interesting. As to crating, I think everyone else is right, dogs will mostly just sleep. Sometimes I have to crate my ladies while I am at work if my husband doesn't feel well. They don't like it, but they really don't mind because they fall asleep. And they are puppies. They are just that much more grateful when they get let out!

OP
Watson

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Thanks everyone for the input so far. Makes me feel better about crating.him.
[MENTION=3373]luseaann[/MENTION] his eyes are light brown. Is that not normal?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1328673868277.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1328673868277.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 159

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
My dogs are crated when I'm at work all night long and they sleep through. They nap in their crates during the day too. I think you are doing a great job with Watson. My Aldo has green eyes, I think Watson's eyes are perfect! :luv:

hoegaandit

Jul 7, 2011
New Zealand
Our boyhas never been crated, but he was left in our big bedroom up until he was about one and a half I think. We did have to "bully proof" the room a little eg move books up to the second shelf as once he decided to give those a chew. However he was pretty good. When he got a bit older he made it clear to my wife that he did not want to be cooped up in the bedroom so was given the run of the house. There have been no problems with that.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I think crating is fine.. although after Duke turned 2 we switched from a crate to an octagon type play yard that we kept in the dining room. He turned 4 in the summer and now we just leave him out. ( he sleeps on the sofa ) :)

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk is crated for about 6 hours total for the day ... We have found that even when he doesn't have to be in there, he naps in there still. Unless there is one of us and a blanket on the couch, then he joins us. Otherwise, it's like his little bedroom. He takes the toys he doesn't want to share in there, chews his bone in there ... It's like a little safe haven. His crate is enough room for him to stretch out the way he sleeps so it's not cramped. I think if he goes in there on his own and isn't in a rush to get out, then it's a good thing! They have their own happy place. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I worry about that with Raven. She is crated until the kids get home from school. She doesn't seem to mind. I think better safe than sorry. They can get into all sorts of mischief and you don't want your baby to get hurt. I think your situation is fine, especially since you have the dog walker that comes in mid-day to walk him.

OP
Watson

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Thanks for the great tips from everyone. I think I will keep it as is for now. I may try to confine him to my hallway and see how he does.

BrunosMum

Dec 10, 2011
Canada
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno, Mya
I crate Bruno whilst I am at work. At the moment I cannot trust him to be left out on his own. He would have a field day chewing whatever he could sink his teeth into, and trashing the house whilst chasing the three cats lol!!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=3872]Loganbeere[/MENTION] Is there anyway you can keep him in the kitchen??? Can you block that area with a babygate?? If you can that would be great! That way you can put his crate in the kitchen with his toys and he can walk around the kitchen and strech his body but you will still have peace of mind knowing he is confined to an area.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i crated jameson for 8 to 10 hours a day for at least a year or so...if i needed to go back to doing that i would....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.