Playing tips

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
So I have been reading a lot about over excitement and calming my playful little biter. Elli is starting to get out of hand when we play with her. She just started to aggressively mount us and growl when we reprimand her and bite at us. I know my bf is aggressive with her during play and I want that to stop but it seems he doesn't know how to play with her if he's not play tug a war or tumbling around. How should we play and handle our crazy lil Elli?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327672086.769809.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327672086.769809.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 143

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I would recommend no tug of war...Mine got really aggressive when Hubby did that..Took me a bit to convince him to stop but he did. I just give mine toys to play with..Toss a ball or something like that.. I also keep a spray bottle handy if it gets out of hand. Hope that helps.

Sabrina

Dec 26, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Elli reminds me of my cute Boris... My puppy is a bit dominant so we decided not to play tug-of-war games with him anymore and it worked like a charm! We usually toss a ball and he loves it!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usko got really angry and aggressive sometimes when we played with him as a small puppy and i did pin him to his back twice. He did put up a fight for awhile, but I only let go when he relaxed. I wasn't angry or anything, I just kept him down. I know that some people think that it is wrong to do that but Usko is has never gotten mad, angry or aggressive towards us after that. We can play tug of war and he gives me the toy if I ask him to even when he is really in to it. His mouth shakes funny then but he gives it any way.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
@riissi I think pinning them down is a good idea. I did this with Mocha a few times when she was little. You let go when they are in a relax state. As for guys playing with dogs... ugh, Scott still plays tug of war with her and I hate it!!! I just walk out the room when they do this.:cursing:

OP
Autzz

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
@riissi I think pinning them down is a good idea. I did this with Mocha a few times when she was little. You let go when they are in a relax state. As for guys playing with dogs... ugh, Scott still plays tug of war with her and I hate it!!! I just walk out the room when they do this.:cursing:

I don't know what's worst... Reprimanding the puppy for being a puppy or the man who is just being stupid...

Thanks... I pinned her down yesterday but she just got more rough.... I tried the squirt bottle and she is now afraid of it but barks... Which she never does.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I am not an expert, but I believe if she got worse when you pinned her that you didn't do it long enough to make your point.

OP
Autzz

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
How long does it take? I say there for almost 4 minutes which seemed like forever because she's moving and kicking me.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I am not an expert, but I believe if she got worse when you pinned her that you didn't do it long enough to make your point.

Lari is right. Patience is key for anything. What was your energy while you were doing it? You shouldn't be anything but calm and assertive.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
How long does it take? I say there for almost 4 minutes which seemed like forever because she's moving and kicking me.

Bulldogs are stubborn and you just need to be more stubborn. If it takes an hour that's what it takes. If you let go sooner she will get worse and it'll take more time the next time.

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
Thor was really aggressive when we got him (I mean launching himself at me from across the room type aggressive) and we weren't having that. We've gently used the pinning move a couple times, which he gives up to quickly, and the squirt bottle a few times. He really dislikes the squirt bottle so all we have to do now is point at the bottle and he calms right down. We can play tug of war and other games with him now with no issue and he no longer attacks legs and feet...the difference is night and day.
Otherwise if it doesn't need to get to that point...sometimes just replacing your hand/foot/leg with a chew toy distracts them enough :p

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would recommend no tug of war...Mine got really aggressive when Hubby did that..Took me a bit to convince him to stop but he did. I just give mine toys to play with..Toss a ball or something like that.. I also keep a spray bottle handy if it gets out of hand. Hope that helps.

Great advice.... you should also pin her down when she does something you deem inappropriate

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.