Wall licker?

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hi All,
Rook is just over 5 months old now. I pretty much think everything he does is crazy cute, but I'm a bit confused about a new habit he picked up - obsessive wall licking. First noticed it on Sunday night while we were watching TV. Rook was in his bed next to the sofa chewing on a toy when we noticed the noise from his corner had changed from chewing to licking. I looked over and there was about a square foot of bully slobber all over the wall. I actually had to pull him away to get him to stop. He started doing it again the next few nights in the same spot, and I just caught him again licking another wall. Is this normal? I can't decide if he is bored or if our walls just taste that good. Anyway, I thought maybe some of you bully experts might be able to help me figure this one out. Thanks!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Mine is a licker too.....although not for walls...

Maybe the dry paint has a salty or sweet taste to it ..?
My Jack is always licking my daughter's toes.....
and she lets him cuz she say's it tickles her :cursing:

They're a strage breed alright.... I guess that's why we love them....

Im going to show my Jack the Oil spot I have on my driveway... Hopefully he'll like it .... :laugh:

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Sumo is the biggest licker!!!! Aside from her kisses (she can soak in 1 second) she licks my pants (jeans, sweatpants) she licks my sweatshirts, she licks my bedsheets in the morning, she licks the carpet, she licks her dog bed.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn loves licking bed sheets. Ugh. Usually they are freshly laundered ones too.:cursing:

I think mine have licked walls as well but not as enthusiastically as your Rook!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Normal. Cutty hasnt licked walls that I know of but cupboards like mad. He likes to help "clean" th kitchen while I cook. haha And of course yes the sheets, pillows, paws etc. We have to eventually tell him no lick when we go to sleep cuz he can go for days. lol Bullies are crazy and tend to have ocd like mad. lol

Tiffany B

Mar 7, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rollie and Cash
Rollie always licks our bedroom walls... I thought it was strange at 1st too! I yell if he gets too close to the outlet.. Silly dogs :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Only thing you can do he train him to stop... it is the OCD in the breed, they do strange stuff.

Get a spray bottle filled with plain water and squirt him in the head/face with a very firm 'no' whenever you catch him doing this -- he will get it pretty quick

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH aka Turbo tongue is an air Licker. She also licks her bed and front paws if we don't stop her. Although we do discourage the licking in general it does seem to comfort her. We use bitter apple spray to get her to stop when she chooses to ignore being told no lick, particularly when she starts licking her legs. She caused skin issues at one point with licking them too much. So if she doesn't stop with being told no I spray her legs.

I bought a cheaper alternative to bitter apple called Bitter Yuck. And it was Awful to use. It literally choked me up to use it so I put it away (gonna try it this spring outside to try to stop rabbits from eating flowers. I'm hoping using it outside won't be as bad) and went back to Bitter Apple.

OP
LaurenA

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Thanks everyone! It's good to know mine isn't the only nut in the bunch! And I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to licking.
Bitter Apple saved us from catastrophe when Rook was a chewing machine, so I'll have to try it on the walls now. He's been so good lately I forgot how well that stuff works. I'd be curious to try the squirt bottle technique - Rook loves water so much, I think he'd think it was part of the game.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie likes to lick her paws at nighttime ... it seems to lull her to sleep. Daddy hasn't shown any licking OCD tendancies as yet ... but Linus likes to lick ALL the kitchen cabinets too [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION]!!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My Bullies don't lick but my Frenchton does. He licks the armchair, cabinets, baby gates, sofa and his paws but not the walls!

77270176.jpg

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo will lick a spot on the carpet. Like he's trying to lick thru to the foundation. Really obsessive. When I notice, I stop the behavior. If I don't notice, there's a wet spot as big as a platter where he's been at it. Ewww.

Bea doesn't do this and never has done this. She has her own unique quirks. hahahahaha

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
My four are all obsessive lickers. They lick everything.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Karly licks the recliner and my step stool and she'll do the air lick too as she spins herself around on her bum. I must get this on video because it's really weird...we're all like "OMG Karly are you ok?"

Nigel doesn't do any of this lol :bully:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online