Crate training... Will my bf ever sleep?

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
We've been doing crate training and I know I've been reading about puppy's bladder control only being so much so she will need to be taken out during the night but it's starting become two or three time a night she cries and go out. My bf is responsible for that so I can sleep and be able to look after her all day... How long will it be until he is not grouchy ? :p

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
6 to 12 months!!!!!!! LOL.. Im only kidding.

It varies with all puppies but Im sure one of the members that has raised puppies will be on here soon to help. Princess Gracie came to us at 3.5 yrs old so we have no experience with baby bullies., sorry.

ps: how about some more pix of Ms Elli... she is such a sweetie. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I wished I'd kept a diary of this stuff. I'm terrible with time frames. Having lived through two puppies, about a year apart, you'd think I'd have a timeline in my head. I don't. I do remember though that neither Bea or Bo were up multiple times during the night. Bea arrived with a bladder the size of Texas; altho I recall her needing to go out in the night a little bit at first. But not much. Once I established and stuck to a strict schedule, she could anticipate what was going to happen next - and I assume - hold it until the appropriate time which came like clockwork.

Bo was a bit different and crate training was a godsend. He had the odd accident at night. I'd wake up and he'd be pasted to one side of his crate trying to get away from the "accident side". He's 13 months old now. His last nighttime incident occurred because I fell asleep and he didn't get his right before bed potty time. That one was totally on me.

For both, the crate is a sanctuary so they never asked to get out just because they didn't want to be in the crate. I think that's also a key toward crate training success.

Good luck. This time will fly by and you'll wish it back --and before you know it. :yes:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Awwww! I'm sorry! The rule of thumb is pups can hold their bladders 1 hour for every month of age..plus 1 hour. For example..an 8 week old pup can go 3 to 4 hours. So hang in there..try to gradually push her a wee (no pun intended) bit longer every couple days...and stick with the same schedule during the day IF she is in the crate. It'll pass and soon your sweet girl will be a Big Bully!!

OP
Autzz

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
Unfortunately I love her so much I don't put her in the crate during the day. Naptime is on the couch and she goes there for it and she's able to go to the bathroom herself. She walks out and comes in when she's done. So there's no real schedule except for food and most naps and bedtime... Should I start a stricter routine?

And I wish I could post picture through an iPad!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Unfortunately I love her so much I don't put her in the crate during the day. Naptime is on the couch and she goes there for it and she's able to go to the bathroom herself. She walks out and comes in when she's done. So there's no real schedule except for food and most naps and bedtime... Should I start a stricter routine?

And I wish I could post picture through an iPad!!!!

No..you don't need to..just pay attention to how long she is able to hold it during the day...that way she can't play you at night! And...FYI...lots of people post pics from iPad..not me, unfortunately, but I'm determined to figure it out! Let me tag a couple of them and maybe they can give you tips! (I'll be watching...:ROFL:). [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION]. @LariP

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
If you have the pics stored on your iPad the only way I know to post them here is through the tap a talk app.

If you have them uploaded to photo bucket you can copy and paste the last image code into your message.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Having a puppy is like having a baby. Thats the fact. You both have to be patience and take her out when needed. Perhaps limit the amount of water she gets after a certain time. Always take her out before she goes in her crate. It will pass and soon enough you will be able to have a good nites rest!!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
When Molly was ~8 weeks old we would take her out at 10pm, 1am, 4am and then at ~8am.. This was over the holidays so my wife and i where able to take turns (and Naps! :)).

After a week of that we started to stretch it out... 10pm, 2am and 7am. She would normally wake us up for the 2pm potty break... After a few weeks she started to sleep through the night and only wake up when i get ready for work at 5:30am.

I'm a big believer in controlling and setting a puppy's schedule. Our goal with Molly is to make sure she is ZONKED/PASSED OUT at 10pm. It took some work to get her nap schedule worked out... but she's doing great now. 9:55pm she is causing havoc around the house (normally at the expense of our older dog).. 10pm she is snoring in front of the fireplace and doesn't even wake up when we carry her to the crate.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I was home in the summer when we got Penny, so I left her out with me during the day. I set a kitchen timer for 30-45 mins so that I remembered to take her out. I did always take her after eating/playing/napping.

As far as at night, Penny needed to go out every 3-4 hours until she was 12 to 14 weeks old. We celebrated when we slept through the night - maybe 6 hours or so by the time I go to bed late & my husband gets up early.

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy
I don't give my 14 week old any water after 7pm and he gets dinner around 5pm. I only take him out around 10pm, 2am, and 7am... but sometimes he doesn't wake me up for his middle of the night bathroom break. Good luck! Time goes by super fast when they are so little. Make sure to take lots of pics!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All great advice.... nothing to add, but good luck.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
mine has dirty bitch syndrome!!,shes 18 months old and still pees through the night ocassionaly!!,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.