He hates his leash

thomasgrecojr

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Scotch
Hi, My boy Scotch is now 3 months old. We made the mistake of not putting him on a leash when we got him a few weeks ago because we have a fenced in yard. Now whenever we put it on him for training or a walk he pouts and just sits and looks sad. Even his favorite treat will not get him moving. Anyone have any thoughts about getting him to adjust to a leash and going for a walk? Any help is great!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
awwww too cute.. suprised the treats dont work.. what kind of leash? we have always had better success with a harness type.. Duke hated the one around his neck..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:welcome: so glad you found us! As far as the leash goes, I can give you advice I got from my sister, who trains dogs..put the leash on and just let him wlk all over with it dragging behind him..inside the house too. They get used to the feel and soon it will be better. A harness will be what you want to use permanently ...no pressure on the neck. Good luck and we love pictures!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
:welcome: so glad you found us! As far as the leash goes, I can give you advice I got from my sister, who trains dogs..put the leash on and just let him wlk all over with it dragging behind him..inside the house too. They get used to the feel and soon it will be better. A harness will be what you want to use permanently ...no pressure on the neck. Good luck and we love pictures!

wow never heard that .. what a great idea for puppies!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Thats what I do with mine to get them used to the leash.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That's great advice of above. I did the exact same thing with Wilson when he was younger. I would put the leash on him and just let him walk around with it. That's what the books that I had read said to do. He used to hate his walks up until about 10 months of age and then all of a sudden he just started loving them and now Sprints most of our walk. Just keep encouraging him and make it a positive thing every time. Start with baby steps when you walk him and it may only be 20 feet to make it fun.

:welcome:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3997]thomasgrecojr[/MENTION] -- welcome to EBN... where are the :pics: [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] gave you perfect advice

OP
thomasgrecojr

thomasgrecojr

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Scotch
Wow - it is amazing how quickly everyone responds! This is a great forum and I am excited to be a part of it....
I will start with the advice this afternoon. Until then here are some pics of my little devil. IMG_0757.jpgIMG_0752.jpgIMG_0726.jpg

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN, Thomas. Scotch is no devil , that's for sure.. What a darling little guy. Personally I don't like collars. Bullies in general and puppies more specifically are so stubborn and strong that it takes some training like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said. But, How do you plan to control him? With something (a collar) around his NECK??? I don't think so... a harness is so much better for the bully. In a perfect world you wouldn't need anything but why strangle the poor baby... Glad you joined EBN and hope you join right in. More pix of Scotch , Please. ;)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
welcome to ebn and i was going to say what [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said about the leash so i have nothing to say now but hi:welcome:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=3997]thomasgrecojr[/MENTION] My Mocha wears a harness not a collar. She hates the collars cause I never put one on her while at home. Get a harness and everytime you take him out put it on. He will get use to it. I only put the harness on Mocha when we are going for a walk or out , she never wears it ta home.

Members online

No members online now.