Help!!! Meatball is chewing wood paneling on walls!!!

skittles1296

Jan 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
My 8 month old English bully just started Chewing the walls in my kitchen. Who knows which parts he is swallowing. I've been on disability so I've been home with him since December. I think he gets upset when I leave him for an our or 2. I've tried the bitter yuck spray. And I've tried white vinegar. It's not helping. Any suggestions? He's such a good dog most of the time. Help!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
If your avatar pic is any indication it couldn't possibly be that darling innocent pup... it must be the cat! ;)

:welcome: to EBN. Thanx for joining. We definitely need a lot more pix of that sweetheart. Only suggestion I have other than get rid of that darn cat is to try a different brand of sour spray. Well, that and teaching him that it will not be tolerated. Making sure he has enough Toys available to satisfy his chewing too. Anyway, Im glad you joined and look forward to seeing more of him. :)

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
I think your meatball is getting his adult teeth maybe mixed with a bit of separation anxiety since you are away from him. The best thing you can do is crate him while you are gone, as well as leave him some chewies. If it's a case of separation anxiety, then you might want to leave the room for short periods at a time and then come back, so he knows you are not leaving forever. Start with a very short interval and then increase it slowly. It's probably hard for him since you are home with him most of the time. Good luck. Nothing worse than a destructive pup. Plus there is great potential for him to get sick from eating the walls.

OP
skittles1296

skittles1296

Jan 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Thank you guys so much. And yes that is my do not the cat. Lol. I just bought a sour spray. So I'll try that and then the crating. Is it mean to crate him if he hasn't been crated since September? Thanks everyone!!!!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I agree with the other members, crate him when you are gone and make sure he has plenty of durable toys to gnaw on while you are home and away!!! You can freeze a kong with PB and bring it out before you leave the house.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you guys so much. And yes that is my do not the cat. Lol. I just bought a sour spray. So I'll try that and then the crating. Is it mean to crate him if he hasn't been crated since September? Thanks everyone!!!!

No! It's not mean at all! You are trying to protect him..errr..and your house too! :up:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4048]skittles1296[/MENTION] - Meatball's crate should be a quiet, calm and safe place he can go to sleep or just chill. If he's not crate trained, you'll not want to put him in there and then slam the door shut. Wait until he's relaxed/calm before you close the door. Giving him access to a SAFE chew toy while he's in there is a good idea. No rawhide or anything that could be a choking hazard.

I'd also say that a tired pup is less likely to be destructive so some good energy draining exercise is important too. Take him for a walk or if you can't do that - teach him to fetch. (I'm still working on this little trick here. Bea zips right past me and takes the toy into her crate and Bo simply refuses to bring it back. hahahaha)

Good luck. Who knows what's in that wood paneling. Ewwww. Can't be good for dogs whateveritis.

OP
skittles1296

skittles1296

Jan 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Thank u for the advice. He does like his crate. He used to be crate trained. I'm gonna start it again. Thank u

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm just going to chime in and say --- all the previous advise should get you back on track with him

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You can try Bitter Apple. Wilson likes to lick my cabinets but if he's caught he get a bit NO. He also likes to chew on a piece of siding on our house when he's sitting on the deck. Oh not to mention my window ledge. :bang:

9-17-11 (2).jpg

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
nothing stops them chewing if they are determined too,mine stated at 18 months so now shes crated when im out ,she didnt like it to begin with but its tough she has no choice lol,its that or a destroyed house,karen

OP
skittles1296

skittles1296

Jan 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball
Gonna start crating him tomorrow. Wish me luck. Thanks guys

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.