An Epiphany Regarding Over-Excitement

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I've always known that Bo is prone to easy over-excitement, but I had no idea how QUICKLY he could go into melt down mode until last night. Genuinely understanding this gives me an opportunity to exercise leadership in controlling Bo's excitement level.

Here's what happened:

Bo is up on the couch with me - watching TV, as usual. He's on one end and I'm on the other end. I usually put my feet under/on him because he's my foot warmer. (I have these amazingly always-frozen feet in spite of the wool socks I always wear. Sexy huh?) So last night, I start rough housing with him on the couch. We're just playing. I'm rubbing his tummy and taking his paw and sticking it in his mouth and asking him why he keeps biting himself ... goofy stuff. I'm kissing his head. He's high fiving me like crazy. You could tell Bo was having the time of his life. This is all happening during the commercial break of Dog Whisperer show so when the show returns I stop all play. Yes. THAT FAST. Even tho I halted play, Bo wasn't done yet. A few seconds later, I'm watching the TV and all of a sudden notice Bo humping the couch. Clearly I'd taken him to OVER EXCITEMENT-VILLE and without even realizing it. He gets corrected and stops this activity - briefly - and then starts back up again. "Wow", I think, "He's got a very short fuse to over excitement!" Keep in mind that he's just one year old and still very much a puppy. Of course he's easily excitable! As his pack leader, it's my job to control that excitement level.

This got me thinking about other times when I've seen this behavior. The only time I've seen this before is when I have them both at the dog off leash area in my complex and he and Bea are playing for an extended period of time. He will get to a point where he'll hump Bea. It's not sexual. He's neutered. He starts acting a bit whacky and then it's hump time. It's absolutely over-excitement and I am certainly capable of being aware so as to notice when he's crossed that thin line --- and then put the kybosh on it. I will start being more vigilant and assertive about stepping in and controlling this behavior -- beginning today.

The other thing I know I can do is channel excess energy into something else. If Bo is genuinely tired from our walk/playing, he's 99% less likely to act out with unacceptable behaviors. We've been playing a game I call "Kick the Pinecone" that both Bea and Bo enjoy immensely. I'll be taking that up a notch!

Anyway, that's for letting me share my "A HA" moment!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Funny huh? Mugsy and Miila both will hump Cutty when he gets chasing throw toys or something like that. Again with that over excitement. Cutty hates it. lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nitschke use to hump air when he got overly excited....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake attacks my ponytail if I have one...when he gets excited! He will literally grab that little nub and yank it to be side of my head! Never being aggressive, just playing. He gets a certain look in his eyes and it's game on!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH humps when she gets excited too. Particularly if it's because I'm playing with her.

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Yesterday, me and the dogs went on a road trip to try to spot some of the Snowy Owls that are down here from the Arctic (no luck). Getting the dogs into and out of the truck in a calm manner is always an prime opportunity for leadership. Bea knows the drill but Bo gets so excited. I speculate that his inner monologue sounds like this: "I AM SOOO SOOO EXCITED TO BE HERE AT THIS PARK OHMYGOD DID U SEE THOSE DOGS OVER THERE I WANT TO SMELL THEM IS THAT A BIRD? I WANT TO EAT IT HOLY CRAP I'VE NEVER SEEN THIS PARK BEFORE..DO I HEAR KIDS? I WANT TO PLAY WITH THEM IS THAT A SQUIRREL? WOWZA..." We had fun.

So we're leaving the park and this couple has a pair of greyhounds off leash. They're excited and running back and forth across the road. One is taking a crap and can't halt this activity to come to the one fat guy yelling at him (duh). I stop to allow them to get their dogs in control -- and mostly, off of the road ---- and what do you suppose they do? Yes: yelling at the dogs. "YOU COME HERE" in a stern voice. Who the F would come to THAT? And when they caught them, what happened? Yeah. The dogs got in trouble. WTF!? People are idiots.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah has humped air before. not very often as nothing much excites her but she has done it. i cant give her a certain anti histamine as it makes her hump for like 3 hours. even on a small dose she humped for an hour. she also will lick my neck which i dont let her do. dogs are very interesting

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
the only time annie really humps is when shes in season,usually she clings to my leg all pathetic like trying to get the rythm then falls off lol,dumb dog,karen

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.