Tips on training your puppy to come...

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Any tips on training our 4 month old to come when we call him? He knows what we want but only comes when he feels like it. We treat him when he comes, love him, praise him but it is very hit and miss if he will come when we call. Does it just get better with age and being consistent?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Try always having a different way to reward him when he comes to you, so he never knows what to expect. Make your self interesting.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
There's another thread on this same topic that's pretty recent - but I can't find it now.
Here is the most useful information I've ever seen on the topic:
http://www.puppymanners.com/traintip_0400.asp

Training a rock solid "come" - no matter what - takes time and happens in steps. Most start out with a long lead. The idea is to make coming to you far more fun and inviting than ANYTHING ELSE. In time, they establish that "habit" and it becomes automatic almost. Never become frustrated. Never train in too long of sessions. Always end the training session on a positive note. Always. Always. Always.

Good luck!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
We put Aubrey on a leash and set her on our tile in the kitchen. When we told her to come, we would gently pull her toward us and reward her when she got close as she would usually stand up halfway and walk to us. What also helped is we taught her other tricks first (sit, shake, lay, etc). We then taught her to stay. Once she knew to stay we used that and her knowledge that she would get treats for doing tricks to help teach her to come. We would tell her to stay, walk a few feet away, then tap our legs and tell her to come. She came because she knew she got treats and from that she figured it out quickly. My boyfriend taught her all tricks with voice commands and hand signals; it is great because we can simply hold up a hand and she will stay or tap a leg and she will come.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There's another thread on this same topic that's pretty recent - but I can't find it now.
Here is the most useful information I've ever seen on the topic:
http://www.puppymanners.com/traintip_0400.asp

Training a rock solid "come" - no matter what - takes time and happens in steps. Most start out with a long lead. The idea is to make coming to you far more fun and inviting than ANYTHING ELSE. In time, they establish that "habit" and it becomes automatic almost. Never become frustrated. Never train in too long of sessions. Always end the training session on a positive note. Always. Always. Always. Good luck!

PERFECT!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I need to train my dogs! they do not come and run around like crazy throughout the house and it's getting harder and harder to catch them!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I need to train my dogs! they do not come and run around like crazy throughout the house and it's getting harder and harder to catch them!!

the longer you wait the harder and longer it will take

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
We put Aubrey on a leash and set her on our tile in the kitchen. When we told her to come, we would gently pull her toward us and reward her when she got close as she would usually stand up halfway and walk to us. What also helped is we taught her other tricks first (sit, shake, lay, etc). We then taught her to stay. Once she knew to stay we used that and her knowledge that she would get treats for doing tricks to help teach her to come. We would tell her to stay, walk a few feet away, then tap our legs and tell her to come. She came because she knew she got treats and from that she figured it out quickly. My boyfriend taught her all tricks with voice commands and hand signals; it is great because we can simply hold up a hand and she will stay or tap a leg and she will come.

Awesome [MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION] ! You realize of course that this demands a video! (hint hint) I love it when people show off their smart, smart EBs!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3654]AubreysMom[/MENTION] - that's not an English Bulldog ... that's an Australian Shepard in a Bulldog costume! hahahahaha

Nice work, Aubrey!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online