biting puppy HELP

ccw0419

Oct 1, 2011
Selmer,TN
Bulldog(s) Names
daisy mae and mack
Mack is 10 weeks old today and he is a fireball. I cant even pet him unless he is biting my hand. He even barks and growls when i tell him no or get on to him. Any suggestions for how i need to go about breaking him from biting so hard? The breeder i got him from told us to thump his nose and say no loud. Let me tell you i would like to see her personally do it. It only took us 1 time and I'm not attempting it again. He literally tried to take off my hand. We have been telling him no when he does it and offering chew toys and such, but he is still a handfull. Do you think he will eventually grow out of it, i sure hope so. I know puppies will play and chew , but i have young children and im scared he may bite them too hard. Please respond if you have any suggestions besides poppin his nose lol...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think all our pups bite. Jake drove us crazy and tortured our other Dog's ears..nose and dog tags. I know that part he will outgrow. You can try a squirt battle filled with water and give him a squirt and a very firm NO..especially at the growling. I have grand kids and when Jake was at this stage, I really let the kids know NOT to lead with their faces when they wanted to love on him. Be firm with the growling and be patient with the biting. I feel your pain!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=3359]ccw0419[/MENTION] First of all, welcome to the forum! I have two puppy bulldogs, both 16 weeks, my female is like Mack.. every time she plays with us, she tries to bite our fingers, toes, etc.. Also, she grabs my kids and bites their clothes, their hands, their shoes, everything she gets ahold of. If I witness it I grab her and push her full body down and tell her NO.. She is just playing, there is no aggression whatsoever in her actions though.. I have noticed it happens way more when my 5 year old is by herself with the dogs, she is afraid of Katara biting her so she is slow to move, and not confident around her so the dogs sense this I believe. I believe this behavior is something they outgrow as they get older. My male pup, Aldo, is not a biter at all. he is much calmer.. BUT he is very impatient and barks so much when I am getting his food ready. I have started using a water bottle and spray him a couple times every time he barks, I just started yesterday and he is already getting the message. I am going to start maybe using the water on Katara when she is too rowdy with the girls to try to calm her down.. maybe is something you might want to look into doing with Mack.. good luck and keep us posted

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I do the Cesar Milan thing where he pokes at their shoulders firmly with 2 fingers and does the pssht pssht sound. When Nigel was younger and went through his biting phase I was constantly telling him 'no bite' and re-directing him with toys. It took awhile but be patient. He gets a little rough now and I have to be careful because he'll think I'm playing with him and then look out cause he doesn't know his own strength. Check out Cesar Milan's site for great tips that really work! Bullies are stubborn but oh so lovable!

Ksuarez1

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mclovin
I have the same problem with Mclovin he is almost 6 months and he bites me all the time. Im not sure if the spray bottle works but I am also going to try that because its getting a bit out of hand he bit my finger yesterday and made me bleed! So I guess its a learning process good luck with mack!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Water bottle with a squirt and a firm no.... also, firm no - redirect attention to a toy, place it right in their mouth so they know that is what they chew on

Charles Yin

Oct 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
TBD
What i have done, and what has seemed to work, it to squeal really loudly when he bites me. Turn away from him and do not play with him for about 10 seconds. This is what a few dog trainers have recommended. It seems to have worked. Huie is 3 months old now and biting about 50% less than two weeks ago. He needs to know he is hurting you. This is sort of dog language for "that hurt, I'm not playing with you anymore..."

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What i have done, and what has seemed to work, it to squeal really loudly when he bites me. Turn away from him and do not play with him for about 10 seconds. This is what a few dog trainers have recommended. It seems to have worked. Huie is 3 months old now and biting about 50% less than two weeks ago. He needs to know he is hurting you. This is sort of dog language for "that hurt, I'm not playing with you anymore..."

This is also my recommendation. I yelp really loud and it works for me. They dont want to hurt you.... usually :)

I flick in the nose can help redirect their attention, it is a very sensitive part of their body. But if that is obviously not working I would try the yelping or spray bottle.

Last edited:

wautersa

Aug 28, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea & Chuy

This is what I would do. When Chelsea was a baby she had to go to daycare regularly and learned this playing with the other dogs and puppies. I would also have her play with my friends dogs (only really friendly ones) and took her to puppy socialization (training and puppy play time). She quickly learned to just mouth while playing. The only thing that has reversed this training is her playing rough with my boyfriend. However I taught her the command kisses when she was a baby (every dog I have had learned kisses). So whenever she plays too rough I just say kisses and she instantly gives lots of kisses.... only once in awhile there are a few nibbles in there. I also found flipping her over and rubbing her belly works well. My boyfriend said something about how it must be similar as flipping a shark upside down... I have never seen shark week but I think it sedates them or something. :) Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.