Not fully toilet trained

S

sophie098567

I have an 11 month old bully that STILL isn't fully toilet trained. We got her when she was 5 months, and the breeders kept all the dogs in outside kennels so I don't think she really had a home environment. At first she was going to the toilet on rugs and mats, so this made me think she used to have a mat or tray or newspaper to go on. I repeatidly gave her the option to go out and praised her with lots of hugs and treats when she did her business outside, and made sure she understood it was unacceptable to do it in the house. It now seems that she will go outside if the back door is open, but she won't hold it. If the doors shut she'll put her head out the cat flap as a sign for you to let her out, but if you don't see, then she'll just go in the kitchen. She knows it's not acceptable because once she's done it she runs away and hides and bows her head when I come in the room. However she's still doing it and I'm not sure what to do. We have another dog so I thought it would be easier to train her because she would kind of copy. I understand that trying to train a 5 month old is very hard, but she's now 11 months so it's getting harder and harder! She goes in her bed aswell, everytime I wash it she wees on it! How do I stop her? She needs a bed with lots of cushioning because she's a heavy dog and I don't like the idea of her lying on the cold laminate flooring. Someone help? :eek:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I suggest you go back to basics....start ALL OVER like with a small pup. That means vigilance on your part and a strict routine that Bella can count on. Keeping her in view at all times and removing the padding from her kennel might be necessary. (since she seems to like to pee on things - even her bed - which isn't good) Good luck.

I'm sure other folks will have suggestions for you too. I've never had to potty train an adult dog so the only thing I know is to go back to basics.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] nailed it.... back to basics. Get her on a schedule and maybe get a bell to hang from the kitchen door -- teach he to hit it (ring it) when she needs to go out

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] nailed it.... back to basics. Get her on a schedule and maybe get a bell to hang from the kitchen door -- teach he to hit it (ring it) when she needs to go out

I tried to train Bea with a bell...she was afraid of it. hahahahahahaha Now they just go and sit by the door. Good enough for me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tried to train Bea with a bell...she was afraid of it. hahahahahahaha Now they just go and sit by the door. Good enough for me.

:LMAO: Banks was too, so she started to sit by the door and bark. Then we taught her and Nitschke the word potty

Hidapriscila

Feb 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Humphrey
Rule out bladder issues. Infections are common in females because of their anatomy. Both males & females can have crystals from too much calcium or protein in the food.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.