Pottying in crate and playpen...

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
When should I assume he is just going because he wants to and not because he is to young to understand?

Seems like every time we leave him for an hour in the crate or even in the playpen he either poops or pees even thought he was just out and potties.

He is 11 weeks old tomorrow so I would think he would start understanding that he shouldn't go in there. I am with him almost 24 hours per day and he gets to go outside a ton, probably every 2 hours when he is awake.

Am I expecting to much from him to early or is he just not getting it. I could see it if I worked 8 hours per day and he stayed in a crate all day, but he never has to stay in it and is always kept clean. We always take him outside to potty so it isn't like he is confused because we paper train him in the house. I would think he would start getting that potty is outside, even a little, LOL.

Thanks for your insight.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is he doing this with you in the room? How often do you take him out? here are a few rules of thumb:

For every month of age - they can hold the bladder for an hour more (i.e. 3 months - bladder hold is 4 hours)
get them on a schedule - take him out every 30-40 mins and make a big deal about him doing his business outside (use treats... pet and say good boy'
Usually within 15-20 mins of eating -- they have to go in some way
when you let him out of the crate, after naps or leaving for a period of time... go right outside do not delay

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Is he doing this with you in the room? How often do you take him out? here are a few rules of thumb:

For every month of age - they can hold the bladder for an hour more (i.e. 3 months - bladder hold is 4 hours)
get them on a schedule - take him out every 30-40 mins and make a big deal about him doing his business outside (use treats... pet and say good boy'
Usually within 15-20 mins of eating -- they have to go in some way
when you let him out of the crate, after naps or leaving for a period of time... go right outside do not delay

Yeah, he is doing it with me in the room in his playpen. I was cleaning the living room today and I had him in his playpen so I could clean unhindered. He was only in there maybe 40 mins from when I had him outside and he peed.

We take him out alot, maybe not 30-40 mins but almost when he is awake I think. We went to breakfast today and he when both outside before we left. We were only gone about 75 mins and when we came back he had pooped in his crate.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

He is not getting it.... try the treat outside when he does his business and let him know you are not happy when he does it inside... just a firm NO. If you catch him in the act, then a really firm NO will stop him and he will remember it is unacceptable. It takes a few weeks to get them on track.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.