Need training advice...

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Ok, I have a couple trouble issues.

First, is the barking. We just started having a terrible time with him barking when he doesn't have our full attention. He comes to work with me everyday and he has a playpen in my office. He was fine for the first several days but now he barks uncontrollably unless I am playing with him. I can't get him to stop and I have pottied him several times thinking that was it. I don't want this issue to continue but don't know the correct way to make it stick. He is currently in his playpen in the adjoining office because I couldn't listen to him anymore and couldn't work. He has been barking non-stop for almost an hour. How to I train him correctly?

Second, How do I make him mind commands like 'come'? I am consistent and firm, but he will just sit and wait me out until he feels like coming.

Thanks everyone.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I'll take the easier one.... Learn to come.
Use a looooong leash and treats.

Each time you firmly command "Come!" you pull on the leash bringing him up to your side. Once he is there, you praise him and give him 1 treat... Repeat repeat and keep repeating. Some dogs will get it quicker than others...

You will eventually not need the leash anymore but once he starts to ignore you once again, put the leash back on. By now you know Bulldogs are stubborn so be ready to get annoyed with him not coming to you each time.....

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Stop Barking

Bring a crate to work and place it in the corner of a room with not much to look at.... Each time he barks, you yell out an authorative "NO!" and bring him into the crate. Make sure the crate is somewhere you can tolerate him barking without bothering you at work. Once he stops barking let him out but dont give him any treats.
( If you give him treats he'll associate barking + crate = treat )

Be prepared to repeat this process as many times as he barks....
So I would bring him to work only on slow days while he still is learning that barking is not acceptable.

You see... I told you I was all ears ! :ROFL:

Last edited:
OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Stop Barking

Bring a crate to work and place it in the corner of a room with not much to look at.... Each time he barks, you yell out an authorative "NO!" and bring him into the crate. Make sure the crate is somewhere you can tolerate him barking without bothering you at work. Once he stops barking let him out but dont give him any treats.
( If you give him treats he'll associate barking + crate = treat )

Be prepared to repeat this process as many times as he barks....
So I would bring him to work only on slow days while he still is learning that barking is not acceptable.

You see... I told you I was all ears ! :ROFL:

Won't this make him fear the crate since he sleeps in it as well?

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
The idea is taking his freedom away from being in the playpen.

Does he sleep in a big cozy crate with the gate left opened.?
If yes, than as punishment, find him a smaller crate with no bedding and close the gate on him... I would place the crate in such a way where he does not see you .

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I just realized...... I would have made an most excellent Nazi concentration camp commander during WWII :ROFL:

That's not a good thing.... Im just saying....

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3909]bigfwt04[/MENTION] for barking... get a spray bottle fill it with water and evey time he barks when you want him to know it is unacceptable - spray him in the face with an firm NO. It will take about a day, but he will get it.

As for come... [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] gave you great advise.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Both gave great advice, I have nothing to add. Let us know how it works! One thing I can say is you have to be consistent like crazy. They are very smart and will get away with what they can.

OP
B

bigfwt04

Dec 15, 2011
Medford, OR
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Ok, we will try the spray bottle and see how that goes. I know that he can be a great dog if we take the time, I just want to make sure we are doing everything correctly.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Also, you can try one of those prank hand buzzers....
Man, I used to have so much fun with that thing..... :ROFL:

hand buzzer.jpg

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
OMG [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] - you're the only person ever to connect concentration camps to dog training! Bad, bad Doggie Daddy! :nonono: hahahahaha

Your pup has figured out that he can secure a "reward" by barking: you come, pay attention to him. Even being yelled at is attention - altho negative. I suppose the trick is rewarding him for doing the behavior you desire - not what he wants. You are so lucky to be able to bring your pup to work and getting him acclimated and behaving well in an office environment NOW while he's a pup is crucial to a future of a well behaved office mate. I have learned this lesson the hard way myself. Ugh. I don't have any brilliant suggestions for you and I have an idea there's no easy fix for this. Once this behavior is established, it will be even harder to rehabilitate so good for you for starting NOW!

If it were my problem, I'd be Googling my *** off, reading everything possible! Let us know what worked for you. It will help someone else. Good luck and congrats on being an awesome dog pawrent! Awareness is the first step!

As for the come command....I believe teaching "come" is THE most important thing you're dog will ever learn and the long lead method is what works for most. When I call "Come! Come! Come!" (just like that) both Bea and Bo will STOP whatever they're doing and RUN to me. This was accomplished by making the coming to me the BEST THING IN THE WORLD. I started with very high value treats and my SUPER DUPER HAPPY VOICE and went from there.....

Congrats again on your new baby. Ain't love grand? :bully:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
"High value", [MENTION=3909]bigfwt04[/MENTION]. For Bo, Cheese cubes are just grand but Bea needed something more elaborate so she got cubed chicken breast. As you go, you treat less and less and then ultimately they come even without a treat each time. Now I give them a standard Natures Balance Limited Ingredient cookie every so often and they're good with that. The trick is making coming to you THE BEST THING THEY CAN DO so they'll choose you over the squirrel, the neighbor dog or that cat!

You have to find out what is high value to your pooch.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online