New member needs help with his bully!

Sabrina

Dec 26, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hi! My name is Sabrina, I'm 27 and I'm from Argentina!I'm the owner of an English-bulldog puppy named Boris. He's currently 15 weeks old. My boyfriend and I are big fans of The Dog Whisperer and love to train our dog. He's already learned the "sit" , "down, and "stay" commands. The problem is that he has shown signs of dominance already. When we say "no" when he's doing something that he shouldn't (like jumping up or biting our hands) he starts barking, growling and jumping up again. We don't know what to do.. we're kind of frustrated because we chose an English bulldog because they are known to be sweet and submissive... I'd very much appreciate it if anyone could give us some advice or opinion. As I already said, we do train him and try to be great pack leaders but something is not working fine... Help us please!

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Barking and jumping from a puppy is also just a sign of playing not just trying to show dominance. Sure they can be calm and gentle, but need to have a chance to expel energy through playing and Bully's play rough. Our 5 year old is very submissive over all, but when she gets into puppy play mode she can be quite wild. It's part of the bully package. You just learn which sounds and expressions mean what.

:welcome:

L

Lucy-licious

He's still a baby and will learn what is acceptable soon enough, just be consistent and patient and you'll get there.
He sounds very clever to be truthful, sit, down AND stay at 15 weeks, clever baby and good job :up:

Oh and BTW they are also well known for being pigheaded and stubborn :lol: just a heads up before he throws you off guard :)

and :pics: :welcome:

OP
Sabrina

Sabrina

Dec 26, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Thank you very much for your answers! I
do love this puppy and I want to do whatever it takes to be a great pack leader to him!
I know it sounds silly in a 15-week bully, but he's also dog aggresive, especially towards male dogs. He doesn't usually play with them, he just ignores them. However, when they come towards him, he starts growling, with hair standing on end. I've had 2 dogs before (not bully though) and I've never seen that behaviour in a 3-month puppy. I've heard that his father is dog-aggressive.. that's why I'm trying to do my best to socialize him as early as possible.
Any other opinion?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hmmm... that does seem odd for such a young pup to be dog aggressive. I say keep on it and keep him around other dogs often. I cant imagine he needs to be submitted at that young an age. BUT that is what we do when they are older and acting out. You will get more advice, I am not a puppy mama so no help here. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] can always help I am sure. Along with many others. Welcome!!!!! We love pics so please dont be shy.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN..... Glad you joined and can't wait to see more pix of your little cutie. Ive not trained a pup but know that consistency is something that everyone says is the most important thing. Make sure he knows that that behavior is not acceptable and exaggerate that it hurts when he nips you. Good luck with it and Im sure more experienced trainers will be on soon to help you more. Enjoy the site :)

OP
Sabrina

Sabrina

Dec 26, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Thank you very much for your answer too!

Let me add that little Boris also pees when other males approach him, and has even tried to hump our legs or the air a few times! He does seem too young to be doing that. I've read that's another sign of dominance!

I'll sure wait for [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]'s advice! Here's a pic of my lovely puppy!
P1010152.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well let me start off with saying welcome to the site and you have a very cute little bully there. He does have that mischievous look to him but that's OK he's a growing boy. Most of the jumping up and growling and biting is puppy play, they love to bite hands, and feet and pants. He will grow out of most of that, especially if you stay on him and let him know it is not acceptable behavior. They will keep testing you, and he has not made it to the "teen years" yet. It's good that you watch Cesar, I have picked up a lot of training methods from him though the years and they work. Any kind of aggression should be nipped in the bud ASAP. When it come to aggression towards other dogs you will need help from a friend with another dog that is not dog aggressive. Put your baby on a leash and walk him toward the other dog, have to other dog on a leash too, to control both of them. If he starts to growl tell him "NO" and either bump him in the rear with your foot or jerk the leash to the side to distract him and make him sit until he is submissive. Then you can have your friend bring his dog a little closer. If his starts to growl again, have your friend stop and repeat the steps above. If he gets too bad or excited you may have to grab him firmly by the side of the neck and pin him on his side until he is submissive, do not let him up until he is submissive, even if he try's to struggle with you, just hold him there. I usually don't like to pin a pup that age, but they usually aren't dog aggressive at that age either, so you may have to. If you do not feel comfortable doing this and can not be consistent with it, you may want to find a dog trainer close to your home and let them help you. If this is not done correctly it can make things worse. Consistency is the key to training. He will learn as he gets older, so plenty of patients, love, and play time and he should be fine. Please keep us up dated on his progress, and if something else comes up let us know, we will try our best to head you in the right direction.

Last edited:
OP
Sabrina

Sabrina

Dec 26, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Hi, David. Thank you very much for your answer! I'll keep everyone updated! I think we will start taking him this Sat to a friend of mine who is a very patient dog trainer so that he can try socialize him with other dogs.
I hope it works!
Fingers crossed!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Sabrina! I finally found you! I see you've gotten lots of help. Boris is sooo very handsome...I have to agree with everyone else, he is very smart and you are doing fine with him. The peeing thing happens when they get excited..we call it "happy pee"! They will eventually outgrow it but as a measurement..jake just turned a year and he till pees if he gets overexcited! :bang:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome to you and Boris! You have received great advice from [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] and others. It sounds like you've got a good start on training with sit, stay! Boris is a very handsome puppy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs!!

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] gave you get advice -- follow it, be consistent and do not hesitate in your corrections, they are the keys to training.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great video, he is such a cutie, very beautiful, just love that face.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=3944]Sabrina[/MENTION] he's a awesome little fella. Congratulations and welcome to EBN. Between the 6-12 month old will be challenging. Stay steady, give him lots of love, enjoy him and most of all be calm and assertive. Just like Cesar say's . He also says, you should eat before the pack. You should go through the door way first. These are very good rules a lot of people don't do, but it does express that you are leader.
If you follow Cesar's way, exercise comes first. Since bully's can wear out quickly, this should be easy. Carry water with you when you take walks. A plastic lemon in the warm weather for cutting phlegm in case of choking. There is all you should need to know about caring for your new puppy linked to the home page. I'll be looking forward to seeing lots of you and Boris. By the way, the video is so cute.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.