Need help from our training experts please!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Dont know if it is working yet cuz I am so on her she hasnt gotten to snap much BUT last night she was so extra cuddly and laid next to Mugsy on the couch. Something that doesnt regularly happen. (I am letting her on the couch when she is snuggly and calm) He also then cleaned her face like crazy before bed. Hopefully that is a good sign anyhow.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dont know if it is working yet cuz I am so on her she hasnt gotten to snap much BUT last night she was so extra cuddly and laid next to Mugsy on the couch. Something that doesnt regularly happen. (I am letting her on the couch when she is snuggly and calm) He also then cleaned her face like crazy before bed. Hopefully that is a good sign anyhow.

It is a start... stay on her!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok a quick update.... I am seeing a HUGE difference in Miila. I am afraid to jinx it being so soon but yesterday she was her old self, sweet as can be. I had to bust her 1 time thats it. Not bad compared to the day before when I pinned her a good 20 times. The day before when I was feeding breakfast she wouldnt back up to where I wanted and she growled at me, so I submitted her big time. Then I made it extra clear when it was her turn to eat that she wouldnt be in charge of eating. I first hand fed her like maybe 6 handfuls of food. Then I allowed her to eat out of her bowl for a few minutes. My newest thing I am doing is making her "tale a break" from eating. When I tell her to take break I snap my fingers behind her and she finishes chewing her food and then backs up and sits down nicely. She did that 3 times during this feeding and actually have maintained that so far, not the hand feedings so much tho. All I know is she is being a sweetheart again. Lets hope it isnt just coincidence but I am feeling like I am SO in control of her right now and she knows it. SCORE! Thank you all for your help, I am sure I will need plenty more but I am so excited the way things are looking already I had to share!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok a quick update.... I am seeing a HUGE difference in Miila. I am afraid to jinx it being so soon but yesterday she was her old self, sweet as can be. I had to bust her 1 time thats it. Not bad compared to the day before when I pinned her a good 20 times. The day before when I was feeding breakfast she wouldnt back up to where I wanted and she growled at me, so I submitted her big time. Then I made it extra clear when it was her turn to eat that she wouldnt be in charge of eating. I first hand fed her like maybe 6 handfuls of food. Then I allowed her to eat out of her bowl for a few minutes. My newest thing I am doing is making her "tale a break" from eating. When I tell her to take break I snap my fingers behind her and she finishes chewing her food and then backs up and sits down nicely. She did that 3 times during this feeding and actually have maintained that so far, not the hand feedings so much tho. All I know is she is being a sweetheart again. Lets hope it isnt just coincidence but I am feeling like I am SO in control of her right now and she knows it. SCORE! Thank you all for your help, I am sure I will need plenty more but I am so excited the way things are looking already I had to share!

:happydance: :dancing: That is great news -- keep up the excellent work -- consistency is the key!!

Also, if you have not read it -- a good book is 'The other end of the Leash' forget the autor, but it is very good to understand how our behavior impacts their behavior.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
:happydance: :dancing: That is great news -- keep up the excellent work -- consistency is the key!!

Also, if you have not read it -- a good book is 'The other end of the Leash' forget the autor, but it is very good to understand how our behavior impacts their behavior.
thank you, I am making a note of it now. ;)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I am so pleased to hear this!! Just be consistent and also know that there will be some weeks that you will feel that you have taken two steps forward and one step back so also prepare yourself for the occasional lapse.

Sounds like the both of you are doing really well!!!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I am so pleased to hear this!! Just be consistent and also know that there will be some weeks that you will feel that you have taken two steps forward and one step back so also prepare yourself for the occasional lapse.

Well she had a set back.... tonight I let my guard down cuz she has been so good. I dropped a spoon in the kitchen which triggered her to snap since Cutty was right there sniffing. (shouldnt have had run of the kitchen while food was in there) She bit his leg so bad it was dripping with blood. I mean puncture wounds not like ripped his leg open. But still that is not good. We stopped the bleeding and didnt take him in, I think he will be ok. Shook him up some tho.We had antibiotics from Miila that we never gave so we have him on them now for infection. Funny how he thought he was so tough, not so much after seeing this. By the time we got to them (they were right next to us) Cutty was bleeding and had a firm hold on Miilas head. Conway busted him first then we realized it wasnt his fault. Ugh... I know it was my fault, I knew better but didnt think THIS would happen. Not giving up by any means after how far she has come in the last couple days already. maybe she will never be able to be in the kitchen or things like that? Good thing I live her. My gosh. Poor Cutty is going to be awful sore in the morning. :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well she had a set back.... tonight I let my guard down cuz she has been so good. I dropped a spoon in the kitchen which triggered her to snap since Cutty was right there sniffing. (shouldnt have had run of the kitchen while food was in there) She bit his leg so bad it was dripping with blood. I mean puncture wounds not like ripped his leg open. But still that is not good. We stopped the bleeding and didnt take him in, I think he will be ok. Shook him up some tho.We had antibiotics from Miila that we never gave so we have him on them now for infection. Funny how he thought he was so tough, not so much after seeing this. By the time we got to them (they were right next to us) Cutty was bleeding and had a firm hold on Miilas head. Conway busted him first then we realized it wasnt his fault. Ugh... I know it was my fault, I knew better but didnt think THIS would happen. Not giving up by any means after how far she has come in the last couple days already. maybe she will never be able to be in the kitchen or things like that? Good thing I live her. My gosh. Poor Cutty is going to be awful sore in the morning. :(

If all this only happens in the kitchen, then yes, keep her out till she accepts her place or it may be she is never in the kitchen. I admire you for your diligence -- she knows you love her and it will be a long road, but she will have that 'ah ha moment' and it will all fall into to place. BUT, as with our girl, Banks, she is 6 years old had her since she was 12 weeks old ,and we have never been able to let our guard down with her. She knows her place, no doubt, but she is always looking for that opportunity to cross the line. She had done what you describe above to Nitschke twice -- both times were for no real reason, he was just there. :hug:

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
yes , it sounds as if you will never be able to let you r guard down, Question !!! you say Cutty did a head bite !! where on the head did he connect? Mila will likely be the queen Diva !! me original 3 had a female that ran the roost, she was alwys on !! should have shown her , but anyway, the threatened to her siblings at all times for all things, so much that they were on egg shells all the time. she never bit them, she made sure they feared her to much to challenge her! from 3 to 7 she started getting worse with guest dogs around, had a thyroid issue((that's the first sign of a thyroid being off is --aggression)))especially in Bulldogs. but she finally ripped a poor old deaf bulldog apart, that I had been taking care of, and dragged him around the house by his legs, I had to face the sad fact that she would have eventually turned on me ,at some point ,and never again should any dog fear her. I must say ,the other two dogs immediately relaxed, and the house was suddenly peaceful. Sadly!! the rest of the pack should not suffer ,because of one. so stay with this. she will get red zoned - in any room. for many reasons. keeping her out because of food, will just change her choice to toys, a spot on the floor,couch, you see what I mean? she is demanding her status be recognized no matter where. always make her the last dog to get anything, food,toys,in or out of any where. you will probably always need to be keeping her status grounded in all things. you are doing a good job. merry christmas.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
our behavior impacts their behavior. very true, and I am glad you posted this,
was the author McDonnell by chance , I like her work.
and yes there are times we need to keep the dogs so close that they are attached like an umbilical cord, and spend the day with a dog 3 ft from me , and going every step with me too. they need to know that their everyday life depends on you ,and you alone!!! and EVERYTHING is an earned reward!! they are smart, and get it quickly when it is in their faces so up close and personal.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Linda hearing about your deaf bully just breaks my heart. I hope I am doing right by all my kids. I went and bought a crate last night and miila will be in there when we leave from now on. The boys have free run of the house. I do feel like she had her aha moment really until this. I am sad for my boys thinking I have ruined their happiness. As I type miila is sleeping next to curry like nothing happened. Curry did bite the top of her head like above her eyes. I would guess it was obviously a kill bite but it was in response to her bite. And his didn't break the skin. She still has puppy teeth so they r very sharp. Probably didn't help when she bit him. Feeling like a bad mama tho to my boys. I don't think she is bad or lost but maybe I am naive. If she bites again like this I am. Not sure what I will do. Let's hope it never happens. How do you check thyroid? When I had her spayed and they did bloodwork would they have checked this? Crazy how it just came out of nowhere.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
the vet wont check specifically for a thyroid imbalance unless you ask. and I do not know if it would have popped up on its own when they were flagging for other stuff. you didn't mention how old Miila is, and how old Curry is, is Miila spayed? and how old was she when You got her? and how long have you had her? sorry to ask all these questions. but they all make a big difference in how to treat her, and coordinate her future. you can't control the pack status ,from within the dogs eyes, but as Humans we can keep their status readjusted for each occasion in daily life. let me know some of these answers and I 'll get back to you.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.