Need help from our training experts please!

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Thank you all for your help and yes I did save those to my computer also! I am mainly working on keeping her away from the things that are triggering her with a sit/stay. Like the baby's highchair. A fav feeding frenzy spot for the pups but lately she has tried taking it over. So tell me which is best. She has her spot on a little carpet in front of the garage door, she knows it well and will sit/stay there for the most part with my watching and keeping on her. I was keeping the boys out as well but they are doing nothing wrong so then part of me thinks I should let them in so she can see they are above her in the pack order. Which would be right here? The small details are where my mind has trouble, I dont want to mess things up more. lol. Yestrday was good, she went after Cutty for a second but I was right there and was able to stop and pin her down instantly. Again this was over the high chair after she was allowed in. Other than that I kept her off the couches unless I offered her up to snuggle. Most of the playful pics in that pdf you attached are her and Cutty playing which is good, they play well together. Rough but happily. That I let them do so long as it isnt too rough. It is just when she is triggered is when she snaps real quick. I do stay calm I think, she does not scare me as she has bitten me without trying to actually trying to hurt me so I am not afraid of her. I also DO try and take the long deep breaths to let them all know all is calm, had seen that on dog whisperer years ago I think. I am not over fearful just yet since this is just the start. I am hopeful I can keep on it and fix this myself but for sure if I feel I cannot the next step will be to call in help. I refuse to let this get out of control especially having 1 and 3 year old skin babies. Thank you guys for your help, really means a LOT!!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all for your help and yes I did save those to my computer also! I am mainly working on keeping her away from the things that are triggering her with a sit/stay. Like the baby's highchair. A fav feeding frenzy spot for the pups but lately she has tried taking it over. So tell me which is best. She has her spot on a little carpet in front of the garage door, she knows it well and will sit/stay there for the most part with my watching and keeping on her. I was keeping the boys out as well but they are doing nothing wrong so then part of me thinks I should let them in so she can see they are above her in the pack order. Which would be right here? The small details are where my mind has trouble, I dont want to mess things up more. lol. Yestrday was good, she went after Cutty for a second but I was right there and was able to stop and pin her down instantly. Again this was over the high chair after she was allowed in. Other than that I kept her off the couches unless I offered her up to snuggle. Most of the playful pics in that pdf you attached are her and Cutty playing which is good, they play well together. Rough but happily. That I let them do so long as it isnt too rough. It is just when she is triggered is when she snaps real quick. I do stay calm I think, she does not scare me as she has bitten me without trying to actually trying to hurt me so I am not afraid of her. I also DO try and take the long deep breaths to let them all know all is calm, had seen that on dog whisperer years ago I think. I am not over fearful just yet since this is just the start. I am hopeful I can keep on it and fix this myself but for sure if I feel I cannot the next step will be to call in help. I refuse to let this get out of control especially having 1 and 3 year old skin babies. Thank you guys for your help, really means a LOT!!!!!!

If the boys are behaving, allow them to be in the kitchen. since she is separated, she will realize she needs to behave. On are on the right track -- stay consistent and make sure every one else in the house is doing what you are doing -- missed signals can cause more issues.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Missed this one too,y gosh I need to pay better attention to this thread. lol. Now if I could get all of you to come over here and work with me I would be set! lol "why mom why?" lol That was the look she gave when the boys were eating first, broke my heart the first few times. And the tongue slowly falls out further and further.

sorry if I have put this in the wrong spot. ---I am puter challenged!!

OK let them in so she can see they are above her in the pack order. Which would be right here? >>
yes , let the boys be normal. she is the banished one, and yes you should always be able to wave your
arm out and around an arc,/sweep with your arm, and not allow them to get any closer to you than that, when and if the need arises!! say around the baby high chair. try standing at the high chair, and keep them at bay an arms length away!! this way they are all learning an off bounds area. it also will raise your child's status in the pack. One idea that I like is to do invite, and go away movements with the arm. this is a silent but visual command that they can see clearly to establish an are of off limits. or back away!!!if I have explained that OK, but asking for them to come for attention and also go away, set boundaries, and it doe not hurt to take down the alpha dog in the pack from time to time, just to show them that YOU are the pack leader. stay on top of the fighting though, if they are close to a year. even it can and will get worse if you don't be real firm, at banishing (for 5 min) and silently allowing back in without acknowledging her!

some tips for judging her fight behavior or bite scale!! if a dog growl acts tuff, I call it CUSSING OUT THE OTHER DOG!! sounds like fighting but doesn't draw blood, ((the feet will not come off of the floor much. but if the dog raises up with front feet off of the floor, it is more serious. a bite to the ear/cheek/ is not bad!!!
but a bite to the shoulder/top of head./flank that is called a kill bite !!! and remember, English tent to be about 4 to 6 before they can--get aggressive --mostly---- so obedience is a must. sounds like you are thinking right on being calm, if you think it -they will feel it!!!!

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] When my dogs play they raise their front feet off the floor a lot. But they aren't drawing blood or even really fighting...

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! This is going to be a process for sure but I AM keeping on top of it. She was on top of the pug when she bit him and wouldnt let go so that is good to know that she was meaning it. So crazy how such a lover can be so crazy too. Also when I do submit her, all the pups and kids wanna come around and kinda see whats going on so I figure letting the pups sniff her while she is submitted is also showing they are above her? Seems like it would anyhow so I let them all see her up close and personal. Hope that is a good thing anyhow.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Linda her ears dont show anything, I watch but they are just so perky and upright all the time I cant see anything. I will keep observing the body language however and learn what to look for. I am going to do all I can and if need be get a behaviorist for sure. Much better than worrying about a baby getting hurt around here, that is not acceptable.

Jenn...that is a HUGE telltale sign with Orion. If she is watching Vegas..and Vegas is getting near her, she will tense just slightly. Her ears twitch back a tad bit and she is ready. The thing with O, if I bump her to try and correct or distract her from her obvious target...that's like releasing the tension. She jumps and attacks. I do have to say...she has never bitten or broken skin on Vegas. It literally is like she yells into his face and tackles him.

One thing I use on her and I know I'm going to get back lash on this...so if others can just NOT put their 2 cents in on what I'm saying is.......
I use the petsafe static collar on Orion. It has a loud correction beep button and a static shock button controlled only by remote. The levels go from 1 to 10 and there is a small dog and a large dog collar. We have the small dog collar for Orion. I've tested the shock on myself (up to a 5) and it really is like a static shock. When we have the collar on Orion, we have it on a 3. All I have to do is show her the remote and she usually changes her attitude. Actually....I don't even have to have the collar on her...just show her the remote.

The thing with this training device is you really have to pick your battles. Tackle one issue only. With Orion it's her trying to rule the roost. She is a bossy babe.

This collar does not work with all dogs. We were trying to attack Vegas' issue with the fence. He literally has torn boards off our wood fence to get to the dog on the other side. He does not respond at all to the static shock. It doesn't faze him..he could care less.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Thanks! This is going to be a process for sure but I AM keeping on top of it. She was on top of the pug when she bit him and wouldnt let go so that is good to know that she was meaning it. So crazy how such a lover can be so crazy too. Also when I do submit her, all the pups and kids wanna come around and kinda see whats going on so I figure letting the pups sniff her while she is submitted is also showing they are above her? Seems like it would anyhow so I let them all see her up close and personal. Hope that is a good thing anyhow.

We've attempted the submitting too! This little PITA actually does relax. The little stinker is a game player. As soon as she relaxes I will slowly release my hold on her. This little girl holds a grudge and she is back at it. We also banish her to another room, which she could care less about. We also feed her after Vegas. And, as you know....her stinky bear is ALWAYS in time out.

It pisses Orion off when Vegas gets near her when she's submitted. I allow him to sniff her and sit by her when she's submitted. But like I said, she may appear like she's given up.......but as soon as I let her go, she let's Vegas know her true feelings.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
We've attempted the submitting too! This little PITA actually does relax. The little stinker is a game player. As soon as she relaxes I will slowly release my hold on her. This little girl holds a grudge and she is back at it. We also banish her to another room, which she could care less about. We also feed her after Vegas. And, as you know....her stinky bear is ALWAYS in time out.

It pisses Orion off when Vegas gets near her when she's submitted. I allow him to sniff her and sit by her when she's submitted. But like I said, she may appear like she's given up.......but as soon as I let her go, she let's Vegas know her true feelings.

She usually gets up with a better attitude. She submits instantly and I have found when I let her up maybe too quickly, like 1 minute or so she may get back at it, then submit again and longer. I am trying to keep her there for a few minutes even tho she gives in right away. She started as being mouthy but having only had her for what 4 months or so and she has changed this fast? That is making me anxious. I have been keeping close when she is with the rest of the family/pack. Bones are a trigger, who is chewing the one she wants. So if she is chewing one and Cutty shows interest in it, I am taking it from her and giving it to him. if she is good I will replace it with a different one. Same with Mugsy. He is the one who really is afraid of her more so I stay close to him and make sure she knows HE is first in line at picking what bone he wants to chew. Trying to keep her off the couches completely right now too. Especially after Linda said that biting the back of the neck is a kill bite, which is what she did to Mugsy. No broken skin or anything so I know it hasnt progressed to that point yet but that is not an option to allow either. I am just trying to constantly show that she is last on the totem pole by far, hopefully she will get this. Now while feeding her I am making her take a break from eating and sit/stay again after having started her food. Again reminding her that I say when she does or doesnt eat. Also I am petting her and making sure she isnt getting food aggressive with me too. So far that is ok. What in heck was I thinking when I got her?! LMAO I thought I was helping the boys by bringing her in, think I was wrong. lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use the petsafe static collar on Orion. ...just show her the remote. This collar does not work with all dogs.
Same exact thing with Banks.... once she was trained with it, all we have to do is pick up the remote and she thinks twice about what she is going to do. However, there have been times that she is so 'in the zone' the shock did NOTHING and we had to tackle (yes, tackle her) to get her submitted and calmed.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] I was cut off by a phone call. Wanted to also say that is a trigger for miila also. Bumping, nudging etc. Yesterday while doing laundry I was tripping over her and that triggered her. Haven't ever tried the collar but if it works nothing wrong with it. Better that than having a pup get out of control and then what? Rather be able to control them than have a baby get hurt.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
[MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] When my dogs play they raise their front feet off the floor a lot. But they aren't drawing blood or even really fighting...

sorry - I didn't explain quite well enough!! you can tell the difference between play and attack !!!
when thee attack comes and front feet come off the floor, and the bite is shoulder,flank. or high on the head, those are referred to as Kill bites.
cheek, or ear, are called I am pissed at you and telling you so!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I do not think that this would work on any dog once they get into that red zone, or full on mad. But I always have kept a brightly color spray water bottle in all rooms of the house. and any time some body acts up , I grab and spray /say STOP !! soon all you need is to show the bottle!!! set them to spray straight out a thin line of water straight to the eyes!!!! I have done this will all my dogs starting as puppies, and all fosters no matter what age, all but a few have responded very well. one or two I had to add a small amount of lemon juice,(then I aim for the mouth )

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I have gotten out my spray bottle already today, funny you mention it. The lemon juice is a great idea when the water novelty wears off and it will. I was using it when we first got miila to work on her regular behaviors that were not so great. Havent needed it in a long time but now she is pulling this so I will try anything. Hasnt had a fight today but I am so on it today she is wearing me out. Have had to bust her many times for trying or thinking to start. ugh...... How long does it usually take before they realize you are the boss and they have to listen? lol

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I have gotten out my spray bottle already today, funny you mention it. The lemon juice is a great idea when the water novelty wears off and it will. I was using it when we first got miila to work on her regular behaviors that were not so great. Havent needed it in a long time but now she is pulling this so I will try anything. Hasnt had a fight today but I am so on it today she is wearing me out. Have had to bust her many times for trying or thinking to start. ugh...... How long does it usually take before they realize you are the boss and they have to listen? lol

Like any child, she will always try to push the envelope and when she knows your not watching..... but, timing will depend on your consistency and her stubbornness (yea, yea, I know bulldog).

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
funny you should say that , because -when I got mad , I would stomp my foot, and shake my head back and forth, and let my mouth be loose so it made a bubu /wierd sound with my cheeks going back and forth, and gave a sweep of my arm, and they all scattered!!!give a grumphh sound !! like kids,-they know they've gone to far. but the lemon juice in the kisser usually wakes them up -along with the bright color bottle seriously holding it up alone works well pretty soon>>

Most Reactions