Need help from our training experts please!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
doing the alpha roll is fine, - But remember not to let her up until ,she relaxes, you will see her take a big sigh , and feel the body relax, and any time outs need to be kept to a 2 t 5 min maximum. they move on to think of other things.
one punishment that I find work well -is banishment, --bad behavior gets a dog banished form whatever the pack is doing at the time of indiscretion!! resource guarding grocery bags, she would be push/pulled out of the group.on the other side of a baby gate, to watch but be restricted from joining. for a 5 min time out, and then allowed back in with no words,getures,(pretend she is invisable) and see what the behavior is , and repeat until she gets it. when you do banish her, and walk away, I say bad , and out ! then not another word until she is back in a responding well with the group and grocery bags again. Just using that bag experience as an example. but the resource guarding WILL get worse, personally I would feed them all together at the same time , stand right at the bowl with her, and at the first sign of a lip quiver, yank that dish away, and bump her with you r leg just as yo do it to get her mind off the stage of guarding. it is breaking the mind off the task to reset the mind, and then set it back down,over and over till she gets that the dish will disappear, any time she gets upset over it. with kids under 10 this is a must . and when in play with her , make sure over and over that you can yank/take a toy or whatever out of her moth at any time , and by teasing and giving it back she will get that it is a game , and you wont keep it , but make sure she wont get upset when anything is taken a way.with multiple dogs and kids, resource guarding will include all items, the favorite toy,bed, spot, food, and go on to be her favorite corner, spot in the house what ever.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
good job getting a behaviorist rather than a trainer--the (trainers are a dime a dozen) watching body language is the key.
such as rolling up shoulders getting in the stance! ears are an easy spot but rarely used. body positioning is normal.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
good job getting a behaviorist rather than a trainer--the (trainers are a dime a dozen) watching body language is the key.
such as rolling up shoulders getting in the stance! ears are an easy spot but rarely used. body positioning is normal.
Linda her ears dont show anything, I watch but they are just so perky and upright all the time I cant see anything. I will keep observing the body language however and learn what to look for. I am going to do all I can and if need be get a behaviorist for sure. Much better than worrying about a baby getting hurt around here, that is not acceptable.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
the long and the short of it is ---never go away from a problem!! meet it head on.
I don't recommend separating, but the most aggressive dog is always fed last,as long as they know its coming the are usually fine , if the bowl drops quickly. same with quick eaters, and never let them go to other dogs dishes to check them out. it causes fights, an away motion and word works well.
if a dog starts to get ready to get upset, a slight slap to the shoulder ,just enough to break the thought,is often enough to stop /shock the idea of what was I doing when this happened!

and I use a sht sound also it is sharp and distinct enough for them to hear. and the seem to react well to it .

Last edited:
OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Didnt see your other replies til now [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION]. I see that, no couch for her anymore, good point! Never woulda thought of that one! The food thing, wouldnt feeding last show she is lower on the totem pole tho? Your idea does sound like it would work also but I just dont wanna confuse what I have already started either.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
the long and the short of it is ---never go away from a problem!! meet it head on.
I don't recommend separating, but the most aggressive dog is always fed last,as long as they know its coming the are usually fine , if the bowl drops quickly. same with quick eaters, and never let them go to other dogs dishes to check them out. it causes fights, an away motion and word works well.

How I do it is I have all 3 sit/stay and I set all the food out but then release the boys to eat together while Miila sits watching them and drooling over her food. She has this system down very well now and will sit there as long as I need her to. Once Mugsy and Cutty both have finished and walked away then she eats. Bad?

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] that is AMAZING! Wish I could get Brooke to stay like that!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How I do it is I have all 3 sit/stay and I set all the food out but then release the boys to eat together while Miila sits watching them and drooling over her food. She has this system down very well now and will sit there as long as I need her to. Once Mugsy and Cutty both have finished and walked away then she eats. Bad?

Pertect!! We did this with Banks and Nitschke... only we also made her eat from the same bowl. even though Nitshcke is not here -- we still hold to this method. need to keep her routine

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
http://www.jactrac.ca/productimage.php?product_id=41

Hey hope the link works, it looks like the leash above. I bought a jac trac one because walking hands free is so much easier, but you can get the same effect with a 6 ft leash around your waist.

It's very hard doing obstacles w. a bully at first! They are lazy stubborn and headstrong. Don't worry about the looks you'll get from people, the looks from your dogs are worse! Poppy gave the best "why mom, WHY?" look but we kept pushing through. These days I always get a loose leash walk from them and they always "check in". I guess the point is that mental exercise is just as important as physical exercise. In the house whenever I speak they listen, and it is so refreshing not to be tense every time I stuff a kong or throw toys for them. I feed a raw diet, and I can leave raw meat on the floor and make them leave the room w. a verbal command.

Also as a warning in case they do something wrong I say "aaah!" (any word you choose) in a low manly voice, and it really freaks them out. Haha! My dog trainer said your high voice=playing, affection or weakness, whereas your low voice means business.

Missed this one too, my gosh I need to pay better attention to this thread. lol. Now if I could get all of you to come over here and work with me I would be set! lol "why mom why?" lol That was the look she gave when the boys were eating first, broke my heart the first few times. And the tongue slowly falls out further and further.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] that is AMAZING! Wish I could get Brooke to stay like that!

Actually it is easy cuz I pick up the food if she moves. I didnt think it would be easy but it has been very easy on that one anyhow. She didnt really know stay and all the commands so well but this has actually taught them to her very well without me having to work on them specifically.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Wow [MENTION=3904]Poppy[/MENTION] that's some great info! I'm definitely going to try this out! The only thing I didn't see addressed is multiple dog homes. I see that you have two. How does it work when they are fighting or something? Usually I'd pull them apart and scold them, but this is then attention that isn't earned through something good.

Gosh, I don't know the answer to this relating to nilf. I would consult a professional if you feel it gets really out of hand.

For me, If a fight occurs, I always scold them DURING, because if you do it after the fact, dogs do not have the ability to process "why" because nothing they do is premeditated. This only happened a couple of times with my bullies, when we first brought the boy into our household and he got big enough to defend himself. People who have bulldogs know that when they fight, it's not exactly biting but they go at each other with their mouths/upper body and loads of noise is involved. It's very important to remain calm but FIRM. So when they got into a fight I would say a firm "NO" immediately and separate them.. I made mine lay next to each other for as long as it took. By this I mean until their breathing went from frantic to *sigh*. The message I always try to get across to them with my energy (haha) is "don't forget whose house you live in"!! After the situation was over, and this sounds impossible, but, I would let it go and get on with things. Of course, I was more aware and alert to the warning signs, but I did not treat them differently. I truly believe that if you carry around an anxious or fearful energy, they can tell right away and it causes other unwanted behavior, like they'll want to protect you, control the situation because they feel like you aren't in control, etc etc.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
that also helps even out the pack order yes. but tat fact that she will eat quickly to then go and take other s, gives the other dogs time to eat, and then you can focus on what she is doing, with a bit of tuff love with a slight back of hand, to the shoulder if she even starts to show aggression will get her head around the fact that you are boss not her, it gets her attention , and if you add the word STOP ! the soon learn stop means stop what ever. the hand just refocuses the brain. and then motion to go back to eating nice!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
very good points. and staying calm, slow breaths are a must .if a dog is allowed to protect ANYTHING it will come back to haunt the dog, with a death sentence!! take a dog who protects a person -one day the dog will decide to protect something or someone else. this is a dog with a HUGE JOB !!!! and they start deciding for them selves what to do at any time!!. and the kids/people will ALWAYS COME FIRST hence the DEATH SENTENCE !!!!!!
please do not do this to our dogs. we don't let our kids do this either .otherwise the become delinquents!!
we must be a leader , for their sakes. because if you can't they will.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online