HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
You definitely have your hands full. He does have some issues that are going to take awhile to fix. When he is like that has your B/F tried to sharply tap him on the side of his neck or body? Do you think he would try to bite him? I would also tell him "NO" when he is doing that. I know what I would do with that behavior, but if done wrong it could make things worse of get you bite , so I will not go into it. The leash thing, start slow, let him get used to it, smell it before trying to put it on. After he gets used to it a little then. I would start with on like the vets have that slips over their head. Take a treat and put it in front of the leash opening and see if he will put his head through to get the treat. Do that a few time before tightening it up. If he freaks out just turn loss of the leash but keep it on him and let him wear it until he calms down, then take it off and try again. Plenty of treats and praise when he does good. Be patient, they are stubborn but we can be also. haha If nothing works he may have a medical condition causing this, but since he is only 1 1/2 I don't think that is the problem. He has just gone too long doing what he wants. Be patient and persistent, and he will eventually get it.

Hes not into treats..

I got the harness on last night and havent taken it off. I did get.the leash on it this morning and decided to leave it on for now... Just a safty thing.

She told me today his birthday is 12-27-10 so almost a year old.

He looks.at the top of his crate all wild eyed and was going nutz... Has been a little better.

Yes I do think so.. Ive tried to snap him out of it that way... Ive.been telling B/F how i want thi gs to go when im not here. Dont engage in any behavior in cate good bad indifferant. Dont take him out unless you have the time to deal.with it from start to finish...

Yes my hands are full big time...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
It could be a little of both... Banks when playing is very vocal, growling, barking.... but Nitschke wasn't. Also, are you nervous at all? If you are, he is feeding off of it... you have to let him know you are the alpha so he finds his place in the pack. It might be good to find a trainer that will come to the house and evaluate him so you are getting the right information

He catches me off gaurd sometimes... But for the most part no im not scared just taken back...

I wouldnt even know how to find a trainer thats not a quake or bully friendly...

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You definitely have your hands full. He does have some issues that are going to take awhile to fix. When he is like that has your B/F tried to sharply tap him on the side of his neck or body? Do you think he would try to bite him? I would also tell him "NO" when he is doing that. I know what I would do with that behavior, but if done wrong it could make things worse of get you bite , so I will not go into it. The leash thing, start slow, let him get used to it, smell it before trying to put it on. After he gets used to it a little then. I would start with on like the vets have that slips over their head. Take a treat and put it in front of the leash opening and see if he will put his head through to get the treat. Do that a few time before tightening it up. If he freaks out just turn loss of the leash but keep it on him and let him wear it until he calms down, then take it off and try again. Plenty of treats and praise when he does good. Be patient, they are stubborn but we can be also. haha If nothing works he may have a medical condition causing this, but since he is only 1 1/2 I don't think that is the problem. He has just gone too long doing what he wants. Be patient and persistent, and he will eventually get it.

Your right I was thinking same thing about alpha and yes I can do it bit it might not work...

I was alpha queen yesterday seams to get him more irritated... Today a differant aproch like the best 15 min post... Seams to be working... That is for now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well sounds like you are on the right track, you had a good morning with him it seems. Small steps are great, and soon they become large steps. Keep up the good work, it sounds like you are making progress and before you know it he will be fine.

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well sounds like you are on the right track, you had a good morning with him it seems. Small steps are great, and soon they become large steps. Keep up the good work, it sounds like you are making progress and before you know it he will be fine.

He attacket the trash can full on jumped on it going after it full force.. He backed down but i grabed leash and then he got upset about that... So i defussed it with chicken in a can... Lmao

Hey they feed him junk food so it.cant be that much worse.... Lol

Heather w/Tapatalk app

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Did you mention he was bullied by another dog growing up? If so, then that might be why he is posturing in that mode. Trying to look menacing. My Frenchton Louie does that to my bulldog Wilson. I use to have a French Bulldog (Toby)that would pick on Louie. Toby wouldn't even let Louie come out of the corner. He wouldn't even let Louie look at him or move. Toby would attack Wilson and leave him bloodied. He was rehomed a couple of years ago but now Louie is showing aggression to Wilson lately but no where near what my French Bulldog did. They are well behaved outside but it's when they're indoors and in close quarters that Louie gets paranoid. My Louie is a little "loco" to begin with but he gets put in timeouts if he goes too far. You say the new dog behaves well with the other dogs and I would find that a big relief. I think with your consistent love and attention and discipline he will come around and realize he doesn't have to show he's a rough tough guy. You say he has his "golden moments" of sweetness, so yes I would say there is hope and more.

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well I am at a loss as to what to do at this point. His "Golden Moments" are awesome but his LOCO ones are well driving me loco...

Well the lasrest B/F went to take him out and im not sure what happened but he said the dog charged him and bite him in his hand....

Im just so stressed out I dont know what to do...

Suggestions?

Heather w/Tapatalk app

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Suggestions?

If you are stressed, about the dogs or something else, it can impact him. seriously, bring in a trainer or behaviorist. We can provide suggestions, but without seeing his body language we do not know what the trigger is. It could be something small or not.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would say that he is feeding on your anxiety over him .. and so any signs of being the pack leader won't work because right now you don't feel it in your heart.

Sounds as if he was pretty much left to do what he wants for the first year of his life, and most dogs don't like that. They actually like to have a leader to follow and so now that position MUST be filled by you or there is no hope in this situation. It is very possible that he has been allowed to act in the alpha role in his last house, and he is uncertain of what he should be doing and acting now that he is with you. You HAVE to fill the role of alpha leader so that he knows that he has been officially 'demoted' .... and firmness is much more important now than bully cuddles!!

Be firm and be consistent ... show him which behaviour is appropriate and which is not. If you do not your uncertainty and his uncertainty could make this escalate in to something much worse.

In his defense you also need to see and know that your boyfriend is acting in EXACTLY the same way or he is going to get very mixed signals.

Maybe right now a behaviourist would be a good way .... even if you get one session to have some things pointed out to you. A lot of rescues work with trainers and behaviourists or at least have contact with them, so maybe contact your local english bulldog rescue and see if they can recommend somebody in your area.

Hope that helps a little .......... be strong and think strong!! You can do this!!!

Almost forgot to ask ..... is he neutered???

Last edited:
OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would say that he is feeding on your anxiety over him .. and so any signs of being the pack leader won't work because right now you don't feel it in your heart.

Sounds as if he was pretty much left to do what he wants for the first year of his life, and most dogs don't like that. They actually like to have a leader to follow and so now that position MUST be filled by you or there is no hope in this situation. It is very possible that he has been allowed to act in the alpha role in his last house, and he is uncertain of what he should be doing and acting now that he is with you. You HAVE to fill the role of alpha leader so that he knows that he has been officially 'demoted' .... and firmness is much more important now than bully cuddles!!

Be firm and be consistent ... show him which behaviour is appropriate and which is not. If you do not your uncertainty and his uncertainty could make this escalate in to something much worse.

In his defense you also need to see and know that your boyfriend is acting in EXACTLY the same way or he is going to get very mixed signals.

Maybe right now a behaviourist would be a good way .... even if you get one session to have some things pointed out to you. A lot of rescues work with trainers and behaviourists or at least have contact with them, so maybe contact your local english bulldog rescue and see if they can recommend somebody in your area.

Hope that helps a little .......... be strong and think strong!! You can do this!!!

Almost forgot to ask ..... is he neutered???

You said everything I was thinking.... And no he isnt and I know thats a big issue but he dose not walk on a leash....

Heather w/Tapatalk app

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you are stressed, about the dogs or something else, it can impact him. seriously, bring in a trainer or behaviorist. We can provide suggestions, but without seeing his body language we do not know what the trigger is. It could be something small or not.

How do I find someone? Oviously I cant take him out.

Heather w/Tapatalk app

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How do I find someone? Oviously I cant take him out. Heather w/Tapatalk app

I found this one by searching Google

Every Dog Can, Inc.
Behavior and Training Solutions for the Family Dog
Deborah Grodecka, CDBC, CPDT
Certified Dog Behavior Consultant
Certified Professional Dog Trainer
www.EveryDogCan.com
479-925-3000
[email protected]

Serving all of Northwest Arkansas, including Bentonville, Bella Vista, Rogers, Fayetteville, Lowell, and Springdale.

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I found this one by searching Google

Every Dog Can, Inc.
Behavior and Training Solutions for the Family Dog
Deborah Grodecka, CDBC, CPDT
Certified Dog Behavior Consultant
Certified Professional Dog Trainer
www.EveryDogCan.com
479-925-3000
[email protected]

Serving all of Northwest Arkansas, including Bentonville, Bella Vista, Rogers, Fayetteville, Lowell, and Springdale.

I just emailed her and hope i hear from her. He has refused to.come out of.the crate both times tonight. Makes me.so sad that he will.not come out.. Just freak out.. But i will not reach in.to get him..

Heather w/Tapatalk app

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just emailed her and hope i hear from her. He has refused to.come out of.the crate both times tonight. Makes me.so sad that he will.not come out.. Just freak out.. But i will not reach in.to get him.. Heather w/Tapatalk app

If you do not get a response tomorrow... call her. And, do NOT reach in the crate to pull him out, he is making that a 'safe zone' allow him that space -- he will come out when he wants to

OP
HrsDiva

HrsDiva

Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you do not get a response tomorrow... call her. And, do NOT reach in the crate to pull him out, he is making that a 'safe zone' allow him that space -- he will come out when he wants to

I will not reach in there I promise you that. . .

Every dog truly needs a.safe.zone.

Thank you for everything... :hug:

Heather w/Tapatalk app

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.