Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 63

Thread: Not sure I did the right thing new dog

  1. #37
    I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    HrsDiva's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gravette Arkansas
    Posts
    740
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default

    Well I am at a loss as to what to do at this point. His "Golden Moments" are awesome but his LOCO ones are well driving me loco...

    Well the lasrest B/F went to take him out and im not sure what happened but he said the dog charged him and bite him in his hand....

    Im just so stressed out I dont know what to do...

    Suggestions?

    Heather w/Tapatalk app
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

  2. #38
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,182
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11516

    Default Re: Not sure I did the right thing new dog

    Quote Originally Posted by HrsDiva View Post
    Suggestions?
    If you are stressed, about the dogs or something else, it can impact him. seriously, bring in a trainer or behaviorist. We can provide suggestions, but without seeing his body language we do not know what the trigger is. It could be something small or not.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. #39
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Not sure I did the right thing new dog

    I would say that he is feeding on your anxiety over him .. and so any signs of being the pack leader won't work because right now you don't feel it in your heart.

    Sounds as if he was pretty much left to do what he wants for the first year of his life, and most dogs don't like that. They actually like to have a leader to follow and so now that position MUST be filled by you or there is no hope in this situation. It is very possible that he has been allowed to act in the alpha role in his last house, and he is uncertain of what he should be doing and acting now that he is with you. You HAVE to fill the role of alpha leader so that he knows that he has been officially 'demoted' .... and firmness is much more important now than bully cuddles!!

    Be firm and be consistent ... show him which behaviour is appropriate and which is not. If you do not your uncertainty and his uncertainty could make this escalate in to something much worse.

    In his defense you also need to see and know that your boyfriend is acting in EXACTLY the same way or he is going to get very mixed signals.

    Maybe right now a behaviourist would be a good way .... even if you get one session to have some things pointed out to you. A lot of rescues work with trainers and behaviourists or at least have contact with them, so maybe contact your local english bulldog rescue and see if they can recommend somebody in your area.

    Hope that helps a little .......... be strong and think strong!! You can do this!!!


    Almost forgot to ask ..... is he neutered???
    Last edited by kazzy220; 12-18-2011 at 05:43 PM.

  4. #40
    I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    HrsDiva's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gravette Arkansas
    Posts
    740
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    I would say that he is feeding on your anxiety over him .. and so any signs of being the pack leader won't work because right now you don't feel it in your heart.

    Sounds as if he was pretty much left to do what he wants for the first year of his life, and most dogs don't like that. They actually like to have a leader to follow and so now that position MUST be filled by you or there is no hope in this situation. It is very possible that he has been allowed to act in the alpha role in his last house, and he is uncertain of what he should be doing and acting now that he is with you. You HAVE to fill the role of alpha leader so that he knows that he has been officially 'demoted' .... and firmness is much more important now than bully cuddles!!

    Be firm and be consistent ... show him which behaviour is appropriate and which is not. If you do not your uncertainty and his uncertainty could make this escalate in to something much worse.

    In his defense you also need to see and know that your boyfriend is acting in EXACTLY the same way or he is going to get very mixed signals.

    Maybe right now a behaviourist would be a good way .... even if you get one session to have some things pointed out to you. A lot of rescues work with trainers and behaviourists or at least have contact with them, so maybe contact your local english bulldog rescue and see if they can recommend somebody in your area.

    Hope that helps a little .......... be strong and think strong!! You can do this!!!


    Almost forgot to ask ..... is he neutered???
    You said everything I was thinking.... And no he isnt and I know thats a big issue but he dose not walk on a leash....



    Heather w/Tapatalk app
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

  5. #41
    I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    HrsDiva's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gravette Arkansas
    Posts
    740
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    If you are stressed, about the dogs or something else, it can impact him. seriously, bring in a trainer or behaviorist. We can provide suggestions, but without seeing his body language we do not know what the trigger is. It could be something small or not.
    How do I find someone? Oviously I cant take him out.

    Heather w/Tapatalk app
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

  6. #42
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,182
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11516

    Default Re: Not sure I did the right thing new dog

    Quote Originally Posted by HrsDiva View Post
    How do I find someone? Oviously I cant take him out. Heather w/Tapatalk app
    I found this one by searching Google

    Every Dog Can, Inc.
    Behavior and Training Solutions for the Family Dog
    Deborah Grodecka, CDBC, CPDT
    Certified Dog Behavior Consultant
    Certified Professional Dog Trainer
    www.EveryDogCan.com
    479-925-3000
    Info@EveryDogCan.com

    Serving all of Northwest Arkansas, including Bentonville, Bella Vista, Rogers, Fayetteville, Lowell, and Springdale.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  7. #43
    I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    HrsDiva's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gravette Arkansas
    Posts
    740
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    I found this one by searching Google

    Every Dog Can, Inc.
    Behavior and Training Solutions for the Family Dog
    Deborah Grodecka, CDBC, CPDT
    Certified Dog Behavior Consultant
    Certified Professional Dog Trainer
    www.EveryDogCan.com
    479-925-3000
    Info@EveryDogCan.com

    Serving all of Northwest Arkansas, including Bentonville, Bella Vista, Rogers, Fayetteville, Lowell, and Springdale.
    I just emailed her and hope i hear from her. He has refused to.come out of.the crate both times tonight. Makes me.so sad that he will.not come out.. Just freak out.. But i will not reach in.to get him..



    Heather w/Tapatalk app
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

  8. #44
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,182
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11516

    Default Re: Not sure I did the right thing new dog

    Quote Originally Posted by HrsDiva View Post
    I just emailed her and hope i hear from her. He has refused to.come out of.the crate both times tonight. Makes me.so sad that he will.not come out.. Just freak out.. But i will not reach in.to get him.. Heather w/Tapatalk app
    If you do not get a response tomorrow... call her. And, do NOT reach in the crate to pull him out, he is making that a 'safe zone' allow him that space -- he will come out when he wants to
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #45
    I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    HrsDiva's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gravette Arkansas
    Posts
    740
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    If you do not get a response tomorrow... call her. And, do NOT reach in the crate to pull him out, he is making that a 'safe zone' allow him that space -- he will come out when he wants to
    I will not reach in there I promise you that. . .

    Every dog truly needs a.safe.zone.

    Thank you for everything...

    Heather w/Tapatalk app
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

  10. #46
    I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    HrsDiva's Avatar
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gravette Arkansas
    Posts
    740
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)
    210

    Default

    She emailed back and said that she is booked until mid jan and its about 250 and she wants full blood work done. Im gonna try and call her tonight.

    But guess who else bit someone last night... Yepp her other dog (a kid jumped on him) and had to be put in quaratine.

    Our morning was okay he went out went potty and drank water... So now i dont feel as bad.

    Oh and a friend of mine at work was talking to her daughter about him and she knew who the dog is and said he is nutz and they were giving him zolof or something like that... But advised to get rid of him that he has always been off his rocker....

    Perplexed with new info....

    Heather w/Tapatalk app
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

  11. #47
    ..........
    Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Location
    Grafton, OHIO
    Posts
    8,746
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Not sure I did the right thing new dog

    Hmm ... well I think you should get him neutered. I also don't like the sound of his last owner, and believe that he is worth a chance. He needs to be taught how to act by you now. Good luck ... and contact your local bulldog rescue to find out if they have anybody they work with on behaviour and training. Maybe they can fit you in sooner than mid-January if you don't think you can wait that long.

  12. #48
    Dog Groomer MissPennyLue's Avatar
    Posts
    535
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Penelope Lue (Penny)
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Re: Not sure I did the right thing new dog

    Google "Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist"

    We had a dog before P with severe guarding issues. We had great success with this type of therapist. She was fabulous.

    Good Luck!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •