Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not sure I did the right thing new dog

Quote Originally Posted by HrsDiva View Post
    Is that a dominace thing... Im so at a loss! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    No, not at all.... it is just the opposite. If he is play-bowing before, then he is asking/inviting play. There are videos on Youtube
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Hang in there. I have a feeling you will be successful with this boy; you will bring out the good in him!

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    No, not at all.... it is just the opposite. If he is play-bowing before, then he is asking/inviting play. There are videos on Youtube
    But what about the growling/biting/anger?

Is it all a show or just puppy not having boundries?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    I them so much!!!! My life has changed so much since 7/2011
    Colonel 5 yrs old (2011 - Current) -- Ella May 3 yrs old (2012 - Current)
    RIP~ Bebe (2011-2014) 9 yrs old

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

You definitely have your hands full. He does have some issues that are going to take awhile to fix. When he is like that has your B/F tried to sharply tap him on the side of his neck or body? Do you think he would try to bite him? I would also tell him "NO" when he is doing that. I know what I would do with that behavior, but if done wrong it could make things worse of get you bite , so I will not go into it. The leash thing, start slow, let him get used to it, smell it before trying to put it on. After he gets used to it a little then. I would start with on like the vets have that slips over their head. Take a treat and put it in front of the leash opening and see if he will put his head through to get the treat. Do that a few time before tightening it up. If he freaks out just turn loss of the leash but keep it on him and let him wear it until he calms down, then take it off and try again. Plenty of treats and praise when he does good. Be patient, they are stubborn but we can be also. haha If nothing works he may have a medical condition causing this, but since he is only 1 1/2 I don't think that is the problem. He has just gone too long doing what he wants. Be patient and persistent, and he will eventually get it.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by HrsDiva View Post
    But what about the growling/biting/anger? Is it all a show or just puppy not having boundries?
    It could be a little of both... Banks when playing is very vocal, growling, barking.... but Nitschke wasn't. Also, are you nervous at all? If you are, he is feeding off of it... you have to let him know you are the alpha so he finds his place in the pack. It might be good to find a trainer that will come to the house and evaluate him so you are getting the right information
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
    Likes (Received)

We just had the best 15 min ever!!!

He came out of crate perfect went and drank water from my bowl for the first time {he ate his food this morning as he growled at the bowl} then I opened the door and was talking to all the dogs about going outside and playing... O_O he walked outside all on his own... Went stright off porch.to go potty and then came back to watch us play. I kept including him in the good boys.with.rubs and praise..

Then we came in played.somemore on kitchen.floor bebe loves his.crate.and he.didnt get mad she was in it. Get this HE.ROLLED ON HIS BACK.SO I COULD TUMMY RUB/SCRATCH HIM!!!!!

We played.a.little more i wraped my arms around him. . Yep he didnt like it... But I praised rubed and kissd him and let.go once he stopped. He was all good mood kinda playing with bebe and then i opened his cage and he.walked right in..

Its been over 30 mins.hes getting vocal on his crate right now but i dont think i need to go get him.... Routine is whats important...

1small WIN!!!

Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    You definitely have your hands full. He does have some issues that are going to take awhile to fix. When he is like that has your B/F tried to sharply tap him on the side of his neck or body? Do you think he would try to bite him? I would also tell him "NO" when he is doing that. I know what I would do with that behavior, but if done wrong it could make things worse of get you bite , so I will not go into it. The leash thing, start slow, let him get used to it, smell it before trying to put it on. After he gets used to it a little then. I would start with on like the vets have that slips over their head. Take a treat and put it in front of the leash opening and see if he will put his head through to get the treat. Do that a few time before tightening it up. If he freaks out just turn loss of the leash but keep it on him and let him wear it until he calms down, then take it off and try again. Plenty of treats and praise when he does good. Be patient, they are stubborn but we can be also. haha If nothing works he may have a medical condition causing this, but since he is only 1 1/2 I don't think that is the problem. He has just gone too long doing what he wants. Be patient and persistent, and he will eventually get it.
    Hes not into treats..

I got the harness on last night and havent taken it off. I did get.the leash on it this morning and decided to leave it on for now... Just a safty thing.

She told me today his birthday is 12-27-10 so almost a year old.

He looks.at the top of his crate all wild eyed and was going nutz... Has been a little better.

Yes I do think so.. Ive tried to snap him out of it that way... Ive.been telling B/F how i want thi gs to go when im not here. Dont engage in any behavior in cate good bad indifferant. Dont take him out unless you have the time to deal.with it from start to finish...

Yes my hands are full big time...

Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    It could be a little of both... Banks when playing is very vocal, growling, barking.... but Nitschke wasn't. Also, are you nervous at all? If you are, he is feeding off of it... you have to let him know you are the alpha so he finds his place in the pack. It might be good to find a trainer that will come to the house and evaluate him so you are getting the right information
    He catches me off gaurd sometimes... But for the most part no im not scared just taken back...

I wouldnt even know how to find a trainer thats not a quake or bully friendly...

Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Your right I was thinking same thing about alpha and yes I can do it bit it might not work...

I was alpha queen yesterday seams to get him more irritated... Today a differant aproch like the best 15 min post... Seams to be working... That is for now.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Well sounds like you are on the right track, you had a good morning with him it seems. Small steps are great, and soon they become large steps. Keep up the good work, it sounds like you are making progress and before you know it he will be fine.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Heather
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Well sounds like you are on the right track, you had a good morning with him it seems. Small steps are great, and soon they become large steps. Keep up the good work, it sounds like you are making progress and before you know it he will be fine.
    He attacket the trash can full on jumped on it going after it full force.. He backed down but i grabed leash and then he got upset about that... So i defussed it with chicken in a can... Lmao

Hey they feed him junk food so it.cant be that much worse.... Lol

Heather w/Tapatalk app

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Did you mention he was bullied by another dog growing up? If so, then that might be why he is posturing in that mode. Trying to look menacing. My Frenchton Louie does that to my bulldog Wilson. I use to have a French Bulldog (Toby)that would pick on Louie. Toby wouldn't even let Louie come out of the corner. He wouldn't even let Louie look at him or move. Toby would attack Wilson and leave him bloodied. He was rehomed a couple of years ago but now Louie is showing aggression to Wilson lately but no where near what my French Bulldog did. They are well behaved outside but it's when they're indoors and in close quarters that Louie gets paranoid. My Louie is a little "loco" to begin with but he gets put in timeouts if he goes too far. You say the new dog behaves well with the other dogs and I would find that a big relief. I think with your consistent love and attention and discipline he will come around and realize he doesn't have to show he's a rough tough guy. You say he has his "golden moments" of sweetness, so yes I would say there is hope and more.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Remove Ads