When your bully bites YOU

dbarton

Oct 15, 2011
I have a two year old English Bulldog, male. His name is Monte. He has snapped at us before and we thought we had it corrected until tonight. He likes to lay on our couch and I've gone up to lay on him over a hundred times. But tonight I went to do it and he snapped but it was really bad. He head butted my face, which turned numb. That made my nose bleed and then there are two teeth marks: one on my chin and one below my nose. These marks bleed as well. I am so confused! I'm hurt because I love the dog more then anything and the last thing I want is to be scarred of him or give him away.

Please help!! I need advice asap! My friend is telling me I should give him away but it would break my heart.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Is it possible he is hurting by something and therefore the routine actually made him feel physical pain?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm sorry I don't really have the answer for you except giving him away wouldn't help him at all and that's what he needs. Giving him away would be giving away the love he gives you. I am thinking he doesn't respect you as the pack leader and you are more of the problem thsn his reacting to you. I don't mean this to sound MEAN...just that you have got to establish yourself as his leader. That won't happen overnight..just like you didn't lose it overnight. Hang on and I'm sure you will get some great advice.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This is a tough situation and i really feel for you.

When a dog snaps and even bites his/her owner then i think it may be time to contact a professional to intervene. You could start by doing an internet search to check out some trainers/behaviorists in your area and calling around; or even contacting Pet Smart...their trainers can do a one on one session w/you and Monte and hopefully give you some insight.

It sounds like you really love Monte and he loves you. Good luck and let us know your progress with this.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Has there been any changes in your home situation? Animals can pick up on your energy if you are stressed. You said that you lay on him? Or did you tower over him? Dogs can feel threatened if you loom over them like that. They can also lash out if they are hurting but it is no reflection on you. Making him shift on the couch might have aggravated his discomfort. My point being dogs can hide discomfort or pain. Have the vet check him out. If he's heavy some dogs develop arthritis and an x-ray will show it. If all checks out well then pursue the trainer/behaviorist option. Please try and find out. Better than the both of you having a broken heart.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Everyone brought up AWESOME points here and without being there, seeing your relationship and knowing your dog, it's hard to know what to do. If he respects you as his pack leader, then I would spirit that dog to the vet right away for a check up. The other thing is maybe Monte doesn't LIKE you laying ON him? If this is a game you two used to play and suddenly it's not fun (for him) anymore there has to be a reason. Dogs operate on instinct first.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Do you usually play rough with him? Perhaps he just didn't realize his strength. When Bullies are playing with each other they head butt and play bite all the time, but the same actions to us can have painful consequences. Others have given excellent advice about getting him vetted to make sure he is physically ok.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
This is a tough situation not really knowing the whole story. The last thing I would do would be to give him away. Like others have said, maybe he's trying to tell you something hurts or he doesn't like what your doing.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
My first two thoughts were like the others here , either he is in pain or, he may just be warning you and doesn't intend to hurt you. MY very good friend and former boss is a dog behaviorist and at this point ,because there was blood drawn she would refer you first to the vet for a complete checkup. There could be an underlying medical condition. If that came out ok then an evaluation from a certified behaviorist, not just a "trainer" is in order.True aggression, when handled incorrectly by someone well meaning can be made MUCH MUCH worse. I will warn you against pinning him and alpha rolling him. I know you may read/hear about these things , but in your case it is sure to end in a bite maybe more severe than the last.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Having worked at a doggie daycare and with trainers for over four years... I could not agree with @dozersmama more, get your baby to the vet and if there are no issues, get a behaviorist in to evaluate.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great advice above and definitely take him to the vet to get checked out to make sure he is in no pain then find a behaviorist to see if they can help. I have had dogs in the past that tried to get aggressive and bite me and I would grab them by the neck and pin them down until they become submissive and it works for me. I would not recommend this to everyone because as others have said if not done correctly it can make it worse. Please keep us posted.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
True aggression, when handled incorrectly by someone well meaning can be made MUCH MUCH worse. I will warn you against pinning him and alpha rolling him. I know you may read/hear about these things , but in your case it is sure to end in a bite maybe more severe than the last.

*Applause* Absolutely spot on correct.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I've never had this issue with any of my dogs (I've had boxers and bulldogs for the last 30 years), but my son's boxer once bit me while he was asleep on the couch and I started loving on him. Now I could do this and have done it to all of my dogs all the time. But there's something about Henry...he woke up with a wild look in his eyes and I saw the bite coming, just couldn't get away in time. Have a scar on my face from it. This is the sweetest dog in the world and he loves me dearly. I can do anything to him at all when he's awake. I just wonder if you just have to let some sleeping dogs lie? He also did the same exact thing to his mom--same circumstance too.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I've never had this issue with any of my dogs (I've had boxers and bulldogs for the last 30 years), but my son's boxer once bit me while he was asleep on the couch and I started loving on him. Now I could do this and have done it to all of my dogs all the time. But there's something about Henry...he woke up with a wild look in his eyes and I saw the bite coming, just couldn't get away in time. Have a scar on my face from it. This is the sweetest dog in the world and he loves me dearly. I can do anything to him at all when he's awake. I just wonder if you just have to let some sleeping dogs lie? He also did the same exact thing to his mom--same circumstance too.[/

Forgot to say that all the other advice you got was excellent--I was just adding my 2 cents worth--thinking out loud really.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.