NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
I just found 2 new Acana dry food choices that are single protein and limited grains. We are going to try the Duck and pumpkin which I ordered from Petflow. We feed Acanda grain free but with the new research that came out it's been on my mind to try something different. Acana stepped up and gave us a couple more choices without the legumes.

ACANA Singles + Wholesome Grains Limited Ingredient Diet Duck & Pumpkin Recipe Dry Dog Food

[h=3]All Ingredients[/h]Deboned duck, duck meal, oatmeal, whole sorghum, duck liver, duck fat, whole pumpkin, natural duck flavor, whole oats, ground miscanthus grass, pollock oil, duck cartilage, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, dried kelp, mixed tocopherols (preservative), vitamin D3 supplement, freeze-dried duck liver, taurine, copper proteinate, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, chicory root, turmeric, citric acid (preservative), rosemary extract, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

ACANA Singles + Wholesome Grains Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb & Pumpkin Recipe Dry Dog Food

All Ingrediants
Deboned lamb, lamb meal, oatmeal, whole sorghum, lamb liver, whole pumpkin, pollock oil, natural lamb flavor, whole oats, ground miscanthus grass, lamb fat, lamb cartilage, lamb tripe, salt, vitamin E supplement, choline chloride, zinc proteinate, dried kelp, mixed tocopherols (preservative), taurine, vitamin D3 supplement, freeze-dried lamb liver, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, copper proteinate, chicory root, turmeric, citric acid (preservative), rosemary extract, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Sounds very interesting.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
The issue with all the hype of grain free is taurine. Itā€™s ā€œnot ā€œ all dogs that has this issue. If I wasnā€™t feeding raw to my 2 pups definitely I would go with Acana as Iā€™ve always did previously. Acana also adds tripe/organs n taurine. Why as most people know Iā€™m all for Acana.

https://breedingbusiness.com/taurine-for-dogs/

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh, so a new lamb kibble? Castor ate the Acana single lamb and apple for years (before switching to another brand). Seeing this post, he says lamb and pumpkin sounds yummy too!

TheOneTrueJeff

Nov 28, 2018
Pike Road, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Oh, so a new lamb kibble? Castor ate the Acana single lamb and apple for years (before switching to another brand). Seeing this post, he says lamb and pumpkin sounds yummy too!

Sorry to highjack the thread but I am curious on how your pup did on the lamb and apple? We have been rotating the proteins of the Acana Singles and are now on Lamb and Apple. We just completed transition and her ear is a little junky. This may be a coincidence but I thought Iā€™d ask since you stated you fed that protein for a while, thanks.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to highjack the thread but I am curious on how your pup did on the lamb and apple? We have been rotating the proteins of the Acana Singles and are now on Lamb and Apple. We just completed transition and her ear is a little junky. This may be a coincidence but I thought Iā€™d ask since you stated you fed that protein for a while, thanks.

Well, Castor did quite well overall, although he did have occasional ear issues (but he has had them all his life so we did not connect that to Acana). His tummy was sort of ok too, but I must say we have seen an huge improvement since we switched to a British brand called Canagan. He now eats their country game kibble, and we have opted for their small breed version since it seems like Castor digests the small kibbles better. I'm not sure the size of the kibbles make any difference, but it seems like the small ones agree with him so we stay with that!

Concerning ears and skin, I guess supplements may have an effect too. We used to give Castor salmon oil but since we switched to a non-fish oil (Nutrolin) his feet are better and his ears have not really bothered him.

I see you are in a different climate zone than we are - I think some issues here have been due to rain/cold weather since he often has had ear problems in the winter.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

My guy is allergic to lamb and before I knew that, we were feeding Fromm lamb, he had junky smelly ears which caused me to do an allergy test... off the lamb on to raw food and his ears got a little better , but the every other month Cytopoint shots cleared them up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
That Nutrolin looks pretty good. At the moment I supplement my dog with both fish oil, and either organic hemp seed oil or flax seed oil,(hemp seed oil when she's on beef,lamb,or pork and flax seed oil when she's on poultry). Hemp seed and flax seed oil don't have DHA, so fish oil is a more complete supplement if your dog isn't allergic. My dog throws up a lot, so I'm going to try taking her off the fish oil to see if that helps, and resume it if it doesn't make a difference.

It's interesting that the new Acana products are not grain free, and will be interesting to see whether our bulldogs will tolerate them better or worse than the grain free Acana's. I still believe any allergic bulldog should be on frozen raw if possible.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.