How do I get my puppy to sleep?

pauline

Dec 30, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Hobson
Hi everyone

Hobson is nearly 10 weeks old and I am looking for some advice. Has anyone got any tips for getting a puppy to sleep through the night. This is what we are currently doing: playing with him to tire him out then calming him down taking him out for the toilet then taking him to his pen settling him down he has one of my old t-shirts and waiting until he is asleep before going up to bed, once asleep he will sleep until about 4am, after this time he will not settle and cries and barks unless i take him into the lounge and then he will lay on the sofa with me and sleep for hours but I cant continue to do this as I am back at work next week and need to get a full nights sleep to function properly. My husband and my daughter both work 4 days a week and are shift workers which means that although he wont be left alone for long he will have to spend some time alone. I tried popping out to the shops the other day and he barked the whole time i was out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi,
My advice is don't try to train him to sleep downstairs when he's so young. I don't think there is anything to gain from trying to make a little pup sleep on his own. We had a little basket bed on the floor next to my bed. After we had been out in the middle of the night it was easy to make Castor go back to sleep as I was close. I treated him just like a human baby - I held my hand on his back/bottom and sang him a lullaby until he fell asleep, and by then I would be asleep too.

Good luck!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi,
My advice is don't try to train him to sleep downstairs when he's so young. I don't think there is anything to gain from trying to make a little pup sleep on his own. We had a little basket bed on the floor next to my bed. After we had been out in the middle of the night it was easy to make Castor go back to sleep as I was close. I treated him just like a human baby - I held my hand on his back/bottom and sang him a lullaby until he fell asleep, and by then I would be asleep too.

Good luck!

You sang yourself to sleep? Lolll love it!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi everyone

Hobson is nearly 10 weeks old and I am looking for some advice. Has anyone got any tips for getting a puppy to sleep through the night. This is what we are currently doing: playing with him to tire him out then calming him down taking him out for the toilet then taking him to his pen settling him down he has one of my old t-shirts and waiting until he is asleep before going up to bed, once asleep he will sleep until about 4am, after this time he will not settle and cries and barks unless i take him into the lounge and then he will lay on the sofa with me and sleep for hours but I cant continue to do this as I am back at work next week and need to get a full nights sleep to function properly. My husband and my daughter both work 4 days a week and are shift workers which means that although he wont be left alone for long he will have to spend some time alone. I tried popping out to the shops the other day and he barked the whole time i was out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Hi there... I am the "no dogs in my bed". Yes I am. But....yes a but...when Duke was 3 months old, that's when I got this denis the menace... I was sleeping 4 hrs then dropped to 1hr here n there! He would pee n poop 10x day n night, cry in his crate non stop. This lasted 2 weeks....So either I was going to kick him in the garage or send him back...so yes...I gave in...in my bed he went!!!! :w00t: I put an extra blanket so he does pee on the bed n pillows along the other side of the bed cause my bed is over 3ft higher. The little sh*t NEVER yes NEVER got up ONCE to go pee or poop or whine!!!!! He slept right through 7hrs! :tapfoot::nonono::tapfoot::tapfoot::chapped:

After a couple months now that his body got use to hold everything inside, I threw him back in his crate. I couldn't take the snoring, drooling, his face in my face with bad breath like that was enough for me. Took about just a few days for him to get use to the crate locked up of course. And yes a bed inside the crate and the whole kennel was covered completely except 8"of the front door. He would go to bed at 10ish, get up at 4-5, put him outside, bring him back in his crate till 7 even though I was up. Stayed in bed reading just to kill time he doesn't see me. I wanted him to get use to when I put him in the crate he's to stay when im ready to taken him out when im ready not when he's ready. 3 months later his front door is not covered nor the whole cage. Today he's almost 1yr old and I have no issues. ?.well, when he's free I have other issues but that's another story.... lol... He never is locked in unless I go out or his bedtime. He likes my shoes!!!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Hi there... I am the "no dogs in my bed". Yes I am. But....yes a but...when Duke was 3 months old, that's when I got this denis the menace... I was sleeping 4 hrs then dropped to 1hr here n there! He would pee n poop 10x day n night, cry in his crate non stop. This lasted 2 weeks....So either I was going to kick him in the garage or send him back...so yes...I gave in...in my bed he went!!!! :w00t: I put an extra blanket so he does pee on the bed n pillows along the other side of the bed cause my bed is over 3ft higher. The little sh*t NEVER yes NEVER got up ONCE to go pee or poop or whine!!!!! He slept right through 7hrs! :tapfoot::nonono::tapfoot::tapfoot::chapped:

After a couple months now that his body got use to hold everything inside, I threw him back in his crate. I couldn't take the snoring, drooling, his face in my face with bad breath like that was enough for me. Took about just a few days for him to get use to the crate locked up of course. And yes a bed inside the crate and the whole kennel was covered completely except 8"of the front door. He would go to bed at 10ish, get up at 4-5, put him outside, bring him back in his crate till 7 even though I was up. Stayed in bed reading just to kill time he doesn't see me. I wanted him to get use to when I put him in the crate he's to stay when im ready to taken him out when im ready not when he's ready. 3 months later his front door is not covered nor the whole cage. Today he's almost 1yr old and I have no issues. ?.well, when he's free I have other issues but that's another story.... lol... He never is locked in unless I go out or his bedtime. He likes my shoes!!!!

You have me laughing so hard. Jax is in bed with us and Louie is in a crate locked in but in our bedroom. Sometimes I wake up before him and I just stay laying in bed so he doesnā€™t know Iā€™m up. But I swear he always knows lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
You have me laughing so hard. Jax is in bed with us and Louie is in a crate locked in but in our bedroom. Sometimes I wake up before him and I just stay laying in bed so he doesnā€™t know Iā€™m up. But I swear he always knows lol.

Duke is in the living room but trust me he hears me as I hear him mumble loll

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Duke is in the living room but trust me he hears me as I hear him mumble loll

I lift my head to peek at the crate and Louie will be sitting there staring at me lol

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
You sang yourself to sleep? Lolll love it!

Ha, ha - well, that came out wrong... I sang Castor to sleep but you know how soothing those lullabies are... after the little one is asleep you fall asleep yourself too.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Bella has slept with me in my bed from day one. Never used the bathroom on my bed at night. (A couple times piddled during the day when I had her up with me) I am a light sleeper though so if she woke up and didn't lay back down I would bring her out to go potty. She has slept every night in bed with us.
Now she is under the covers most of the night sometimes comes out and lays between my head and my headboard on my pillow. Not sure who snores louder her or the hubby! Lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ha, ha - well, that came out wrong... I sang Castor to sleep but you know how soothing those lullabies are... after the little one is asleep you fall asleep yourself too.

You should sing your lullabies on CD and make millions! Call it....Guaranteed to knock your puppy out!

OP
pauline

pauline

Dec 30, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Hobson
Thank you everyone for your replies xxx

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I always had my pups in their crates at night,next to my bed-crate covered,except for half of the door.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Place an old t-shirt with your scent on it in his crate... it will help him to settle back in

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I lift my head to peek at the crate and Louie will be sitting there staring at me lol

So long heā€™s not in this position :tapfoot: now youā€™ll be in big dodo. Lol

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.