Senior age question?

MomofJake

Sep 17, 2017
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We just rescued a 9yr old EB. When I looked up their life expectancy it stated 8yrs. :scared: Wow I hope he stays with us for awhile he seems to be in good health. How long has some your your Ebs lived to?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We just rescued a 9yr old EB. When I looked up their life expectancy it stated 8yrs. :scared: Wow I hope he stays with us for awhile he seems to be in good health. How long has some your your Ebs lived to?

Dont rely on that expectancy. Yes like in anything in life it can happen but more n more even in this forum, you will see a lot of 10yrs and up. Im a big believer in "what you feed" your dog. Dogs are carnivores not cows. So the less grain the better. They dont need tons of vitamins like a lot thinks dogs should have. I read a lot in here that I find it's exaggerating in what their dogs are given. I myself do give once in awhile probiotics, turmeric n ginger. But that's it because our pets are domestic. They eat very well n no junk food. Walk n exercise daily. So put it this way, as humans, if you're a potato couch and dont like to move, well so will your dog and that's when health issues starts. Dogs are the only animal that has same human health issues ss humans. If you walk your dog on regular basis, play outside in all weather...snow (snowing as im typing this!!!!) Rain, sun etc you're giving a healthy lifestyle for your furball n yourself. All this to say, dogs just like humans....you are what you eat! Eat healthy, clean and get some exercise even if its only walking. Your furball will live longer n so will you. Ok that was my 2 cents.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
When I first got into Bulldogs/Bulldog Rescue it was generally thought that the average age was 8-10 yrs. That was probably about right 20 years ago. But with Bulldogs becoming so popular(with owners and breeders) the demand for exemplary "Bulldog Vets" has increased exponentially. Improved surgical procedures and better general anesthesia practices has greatly increased survivability. With good care from Bulldog owners and Vets the average age has probably increased to 10-12 years. Of course there are always exceptions and no guarantees that a particular Bulldog will not develop cancer, develop a heart condition, or get heat stroke, or drown, or aspirate, or hit by a car...etc, etc. These things all figure into that life span average. You rescuing a Bulldog at 9 years(or any large breed dog at that age) is atypical and says a lot about you...and it's all good. Thank you very much for taking on a Senior Bulldog.

Naggy 9
Hoss 8
OscarMayer 7
Smedley 6
Lacey 8
Myra 10
Josie 9
Coco 9
Dozer 10
Lola 10
Cider 11
Trudy 14
Bailey 14
Pippy 9 still going
Lala 3 still going
Kash 7 still going
Strikes 8 still going
MINI 1 still going

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When I first got into Bulldogs/Bulldog Rescue it was generally thought that the average age was 8-10 yrs. That was probably about right 20 years ago. But with Bulldogs becoming so popular(with owners and breeders) the demand for exemplary "Bulldog Vets" has increased exponentially. Improved surgical procedures and better general anesthesia practices has greatly increased survivability. With good care from Bulldog owners and Vets the average age has probably increased to 10-12 years. Of course there are always exceptions and no guarantees that a particular Bulldog will not develop cancer, develop a heart condition, or get heat stroke, or drown, or aspirate, or hit by a car...etc, etc. These things all figure into that life span average. You rescuing a Bulldog at 9 years(or any large breed dog at that age) is atypical and says a lot about you...and it's all good. Thank you very much for taking on a Senior Bulldog.

Naggy 9
Hoss 8
OscarMayer 7
Smedley 6
Lacey 8
Myra 10
Josie 9
Coco 9
Dozer 10
Lola 10
Cider 11
Trudy 14
Bailey 14
Pippy 9 still going
Lala 3 still going
Kash 7 still going
Strikes 8 still going
MINI 1 still going

:bravo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
LOL, oh yeah, and the one we call the "forgotten dog"...Zoey 6 DANG!

we call her that because we, no, I left her out in the back yard for 5 hours, at night...in 50 deg temps...and raining like crazy. If my son hadn't heard her barking she'd have been out there all night.

Not one of my best moments.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Naggy 9
Hoss 8
OscarMayer 7
Smedley 6
Lacey 8
Myra 10
Josie 9
Coco 9
Dozer 10
Lola 10
Cider 11
Trudy 14
Bailey 14
Pippy 9 still going
Lala 3 still going
Kash 7 still going
Strikes 8 still going
MINI 1 still going

14 !?!?!?!?! :faint: :2thumbs:

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,

Meh Diva was 12 when she passed , Tilly was just turned 4 when she passed . All ya can do is take care of them feed em the best ya can get em to the vet when it is time for a check up and the most important LOVE THE CRAP OUT of them !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.