Gidget just broke out in Hives

Gidget

Jan 6, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gidget

Hello, were new to this community as well as new baby owners of 5 month old Gidget. After her morning bath today she was whimpering and crying and both of her sides were filled with huge hive like welts! ive written everything shes eaten and done and the only thing new was the bath had a new shampoo that smelled like peonies, well these are peonie size welts, Shes with me now at work and has been playing with our neighbor dog so there is no lethargicness or any other symptom than these ugly looking bumps. I went on line and saw a bulldog on your site with same welts. Any ideas please let me know. thanks!

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
My boston ate fire ants once. He got massive hives. I took him to the vet right away and they gave him 2 shots which almost instantly helped with the hives. The vet told me in the future, if he has any kind of reaction like this, give him benadryl. I'd call the vet ASAP and see what they suggest. It could be a reaction to the shampoo...could she have gotten into anything outside?

ps. Hi! Welcome to EBN! We'd love to see pics of Gidget! I love the name!! :welcome:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hello, were new to this community as well as new baby owners of 5 month old Gidget. After her morning bath today she was whimpering and crying and both of her sides were filled with huge hive like welts! ive written everything shes eaten and done and the only thing new was the bath had a new shampoo that smelled like peonies, well these are peonie size welts, Shes with me now at work and has been playing with our neighbor dog so there is no lethargicness or any other symptom than these ugly looking bumps. I went on line and saw a bulldog on your site with same welts. Any ideas please let me know. thanks!

Hi hives are definitely a sign of an allergic reaction to something. They can be caused by many different things from food allergies, bug bites like ants, or bee or wasp,stings, or anything in your environment both inside or outside. Things like new cleaning products, washing detergent, or in your case new bath products or shampoos. Sometimes we never know what caused them and other times we can eliminate new products and try to figure it out. Hives are usually not dangerous and usually go away in 2 to 3 days. They can be itchy for the dog and you can give him some Benedryl to help with the symptoms. I have to look up the dosage and I'll post it after this post. It's been a while since I had to give one to my guys. Although hives usually clear up,on their own, you still need to be careful and watch for more serious allergic reactions such as if the face swells, eyes swell, or your dog seems to have difficulty breathing which could mean the throat is swelling. This is a more serious allergic reaction and can be a anaphylactic reaction, and this requires emergency vet care. Keep an eye on Gidget to make sure she doesn't have these symptoms and the hives should clear up soon. It may help to put her back in the bath and re wash her with her old shampoo, or just rinse her with some warm water and equal parts of vinegar to remove the new shampoo from her skin. I hope she feels better soon and the hives clear up.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"

Give her benadryl right away. 1/2 - 1 mg per lb. (weight wise) you can administer it every 8 hrs. Keep an eye out on her breathing. If at any minute you notice shortness of breath or her gums start to become pale, get to the the vet ASAP. Gums should be a nice pink color....and keep an eye out for any swelling around the face.

Since nothing else is new, that shampoo is what likely caused it, get rid of it asap.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Here is the post from Lisa for dosage of Benedryl

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: FAQ: How much Benadryl can you give your bully?[/h]
1mg per pound of body weight.

Also, never use benedryl with any other medicine in it. Must be just plain benedryl. They come in 25mg tablets or capsules.

Also, if your bulldog weighs 50 pounds and you only give him one tablet, it will simply do no good.

I have read you can give up to three times a day, but I personally stick with twice a day.

They can become very drowsy and loopy when on benedryl.

Lastly, I notice it really doesn't help much with just one dose. So if your bulldog has an attack of the itchies, and you give them their first dose, and it doesn't help, don't give up. Continue giving at least daily to see any results.​

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

How is your baby doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online