Kristopher Trevino
    Country
    United States of America
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary UC Low Purine Dry Dog Food

Got back from the vet today, she said my Rosie's PH balance is way off and she needs to eat a special diet and sent us home with Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary UC Low Purine Dry Dog Food. I remember reading that Canin is not a very good brand of dog food, are there any other choices?

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary UC Low Purine Dry Dog Food

Did the vet diagnose the reason why it's off? What was the pH? Was there crystals or stones? If there was were they send to the lab? RC is not very good. There is always a choice, but first you need to know why the pH is off.

3. Likes Manydogs, 2BullyMama liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if any of the foods on this list would work for your baby (regarding the ph levels) but this is where we recommend members to look for a dog food... Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@Kristopher T There are not many choices when it comes to Prescription foods. I had a cat who had trouble with having bladder stones. He eventually had surgery to become a "she". I always,for him, looked for foods with a low ash content. I agree with @RiiSi you need more information on your Rosie's condition/problem.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

6. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

I had somewhat same issue with Nyala. Her was crystals. The warden at the desk insisted I use RC saying "in all my 15yrs I never seen issues" I asked her to read the ingredients as I didn't have my glasses. She reads and some ingredients was corn, wheat, whey and I stopped her there and said "Nyala isn't a cow, she's a dog" well she was speechless. Knowingly RC is NOT a healthy kibble and vets gets a % for each bag they sell I wouldn't touch that kibble with a 10 foot pole.. I don't like being pushed into something that is not healthy especially if I don't want it. I decided to " home cook " for her. It's a bit more work but she never had any more issues.

8. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Christie H's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
    Likes (Received)

Wheezie was prescribed this food and I stopped giving it to her.Nasty ingredients one being chicken which is not ideal for alot of bullies.We were given antibiotics and that did the trick.We also wipe her everytime she pottys because of her excess skin and she's a low rider..meaning she practically sits on the ground to do her business.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher T View Post
    Got back from the vet today, she said my Rosie's PH balance is way off and she needs to eat a special diet and sent us home with Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary UC Low Purine Dry Dog Food. I remember reading that Canin is not a very good brand of dog food, are there any other choices?
    Not good at all.... these foods do serve a purpose for a small window of time, but not for long term or life. As others have said, find out the cause crystals, stone, what type and then you'll know what to avoid and can feed a good food ..
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

11. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately, my Jewel is on RC gastro for low fat secondary to Jewels bout of pancreatitis. I do not want to go through that again. I emailed Fromm to see if they had a dog food that has a crude fat content of less that 10% and received a prompt response back from them that they do not . Now Fromm does have treats that 5% fat (i.e. liver and cranberry) that both Jewel and Bentley love. I did respond back to Fromm that if and when they start a low fat product to let me know. The only low fat product they have is the formula for senior dogs which has a fat content of 10%-12%. One caveat...I do like that company. Great Customer Service.

For now, we will keep Jewel on the RC. She does get an occasional supplement of which I do not know the fat content of that product. I was giving Jewel 1 tablet a day and she seemed run down and out of steam. Since I spaced out the supplement to every third day...her energy picked up to normal.

13. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    none yet
    Likes (Received)

I believe Royal canin is a good brand because it specializes on different breed. I am using it with our Bully

Feed Store Operator
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dolly
    Likes (Received)

It's not a good food, producing food labeled for each breed is a marketing gimmick. Check out the first 9 ingredients: Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, brown rice, wheat gluten, chicken fat, oat groats, natural flavors, pork meal, dried plain beet pulp. Chicken and grains are the most common allergen in bulldogs who have food allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by Boborgemia View Post
    I believe Royal canin is a good brand because it specializes on different breed. I am using it with our Bully

16. Likes 1Chumly, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member Hankster's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jill
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    hank
    Likes (Received)

well crud.... I 'think' that the canine caviar is the one that someone uses for this????

Feed Store Operator
    Real Name
    Brian and Lynne
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dolly
    Likes (Received)

I think canine caviar foods are supposed to be alkaline, thus helping with uric acid stones. The chicken and millet one may not be good for bulldogs with chicken allergies, maybe the open sky which is duck and chickpea might be better in that case.
    Avoid sardines, organ meats. Give dog lots of water so if you are feeding kibble may help to feed small amounts of dog food mixed with lots of water 3 times daily if dog doesn't drink much.

Quote Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
    well crud.... I 'think' that the canine caviar is the one that someone uses for this????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads