Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary UC Low Purine Dry Dog Food

Kristopher T

Apr 5, 2016
Presidio Texas
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
Got back from the vet today, she said my Rosie's PH balance is way off and she needs to eat a special diet and sent us home with Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary UC Low Purine Dry Dog Food. I remember reading that Canin is not a very good brand of dog food, are there any other choices? :unsure:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Did the vet diagnose the reason why it's off? What was the pH? Was there crystals or stones? If there was were they send to the lab? RC is not very good. There is always a choice, but first you need to know why the pH is off.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15715]Kristopher T[/MENTION] There are not many choices when it comes to Prescription foods. I had a cat who had trouble with having bladder stones. He eventually had surgery to become a "she". I always,for him, looked for foods with a low ash content. I agree with [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] you need more information on your Rosie's condition/problem.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I had somewhat same issue with Nyala. Her was crystals. The warden at the desk insisted I use RC saying "in all my 15yrs I never seen issues" I asked her to read the ingredients as I didn't have my glasses. She reads and some ingredients was corn, wheat, whey and I stopped her there and said "Nyala isn't a cow, she's a dog" well she was speechless. Knowingly RC is NOT a healthy kibble and vets gets a % for each bag they sell I wouldn't touch that kibble with a 10 foot pole.. I don't like being pushed into something that is not healthy especially if I don't want it. I decided to " home cook " for her. It's a bit more work but she never had any more issues.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Wheezie was prescribed this food and I stopped giving it to her.Nasty ingredients one being chicken which is not ideal for alot of bullies.We were given antibiotics and that did the trick.We also wipe her everytime she pottys because of her excess skin and she's a low rider..meaning she practically sits on the ground to do her business.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Got back from the vet today, she said my Rosie's PH balance is way off and she needs to eat a special diet and sent us home with Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Urinary UC Low Purine Dry Dog Food. I remember reading that Canin is not a very good brand of dog food, are there any other choices? :unsure:

Not good at all.... these foods do serve a purpose for a small window of time, but not for long term or life. As others have said, find out the cause crystals, stone, what type and then you'll know what to avoid and can feed a good food ..

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Unfortunately, my Jewel is on RC gastro for low fat secondary to Jewels bout of pancreatitis. I do not want to go through that again. I emailed Fromm to see if they had a dog food that has a crude fat content of less that 10% and received a prompt response back from them that they do not . Now Fromm does have treats that 5% fat (i.e. liver and cranberry) that both Jewel and Bentley love. I did respond back to Fromm that if and when they start a low fat product to let me know. The only low fat product they have is the formula for senior dogs which has a fat content of 10%-12%. One caveat...I do like that company. Great Customer Service.

For now, we will keep Jewel on the RC. She does get an occasional supplement of which I do not know the fat content of that product. I was giving Jewel 1 tablet a day and she seemed run down and out of steam. Since I spaced out the supplement to every third day...her energy picked up to normal.

Boborgemia

Jul 31, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I believe Royal canin is a good brand because it specializes on different breed. I am using it with our Bully

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
It's not a good food, producing food labeled for each breed is a marketing gimmick. Check out the first 9 ingredients: Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, brown rice, wheat gluten, chicken fat, oat groats, natural flavors, pork meal, dried plain beet pulp. Chicken and grains are the most common allergen in bulldogs who have food allergies.

I believe Royal canin is a good brand because it specializes on different breed. I am using it with our Bully

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
well crud.... I 'think' that the canine caviar is the one that someone uses for this????

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I think canine caviar foods are supposed to be alkaline, thus helping with uric acid stones. The chicken and millet one may not be good for bulldogs with chicken allergies, maybe the open sky which is duck and chickpea might be better in that case.
Avoid sardines, organ meats. Give dog lots of water so if you are feeding kibble may help to feed small amounts of dog food mixed with lots of water 3 times daily if dog doesn't drink much.

well crud.... I 'think' that the canine caviar is the one that someone uses for this????

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

It's not a good food, producing food labeled for each breed is a marketing gimmick. Check out the first 9 ingredients: Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, brown rice, wheat gluten, chicken fat, oat groats, natural flavors, pork meal, dried plain beet pulp. Chicken and grains are the most common allergen in bulldogs who have food allergies.

AGREE!! RC is crap food

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

We are not here to scare you but like mentioned give your dog something else as RC is pushed on customers as vets gets a commission selling RC. They also add feathers as a filler. I mean you have a dog not a farm animal.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online