Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulldogs available for adoption section...

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bulldogs available for adoption section...

thanks christine!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by megdav View Post
    Ok! Thanks, I will.

I found this bulldog in Phx:

Dogs | Help A Dog Smile

Do you think it's ok that he has had a cherry eye repaired already and rhinoplasty? I know bulldogs have a lot of health issues of course, but is this not a good sign?
    Super common stuff with bulldogs but a few things:

First, he's YOUNG so still a puppy. And bulldogs stay puppies for a LONG time, which may not be good with your son because he'll be spunky!

Second, he could still develop other health problems.

Also, they make a good point about the food. It's something to think about and something I really didn't know before I got into bulldogs. My parents always just bought dog food at the grocery store. We fed our family dog Kibbles and Bits. Fast forward to now and we spend $70 a bag on California Naturals Kangaroo and Red Lentil because our bulldog's allergies are so bad. You will see COUNTLESS threads about what to feed them!

Finally, I would ask if his eye will require medication. Some cherry eye repairs require a lifetime of eye drops to keep the eye properly moist.

That said, it's a great find in that it's a young dog for a very reasonable adoption fee. Plus in Chandler. I think it's worth it to ask about him at least!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    Super common stuff with bulldogs but a few things:

First, he's YOUNG so still a puppy. And bulldogs stay puppies for a LONG time, which may not be good with your son because he'll be spunky!

Second, he could still develop other health problems.

Also, they make a good point about the food. It's something to think about and something I really didn't know before I got into bulldogs. My parents always just bought dog food at the grocery store. We fed our family dog Kibbles and Bits. Fast forward to now and we spend $70 a bag on California Naturals Kangaroo and Red Lentil because our bulldog's allergies are so bad. You will see COUNTLESS threads about what to feed them!

Finally, I would ask if his eye will require medication. Some cherry eye repairs require a lifetime of eye drops to keep the eye properly moist.

That said, it's a great find in that it's a young dog for a very reasonable adoption fee. Plus in Chandler. I think it's worth it to ask about him at least!
    Thanks for the tips. I just heard back from them and they said that Alvin is way too interested in cats and probably wouldn't make a good match for us.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the tips. I just heard back from them and they said that Alvin is way too interested in cats and probably wouldn't make a good match for us.
    I hate when they say that stuff...honestly, ALL of my bulldogs have been interested in cats. But cats are fast and can jump, and bulldogs can't! Plus all of mine were good buddies after they warmed up! I think smart introductions are the key but eh, keep looking!

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

I hate when they say that stuff...honestly, ALL of my bulldogs have been interested in cats. But cats are fast and can jump, and bulldogs can't! Plus all of mine were good buddies after they warmed up! I think smart introductions are the key but eh, keep looking!
    Yah, but my cat is 18.5 years old lol - she ain't goin nowhere too fast lol

I do understand what you are saying though. A younger cat might be fine.

Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

ps: HEY I'M A "POTTY TRAINER" now!
    lol

8. Likes sheshistory, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Yah, but my cat is 18.5 years old lol - she ain't goin nowhere too fast lol

I do understand what you are saying though. A younger cat might be fine.
    I bet your kitty would rule the roost! When Truman was a puppy, we had a 14 year old male orange tabby and a newly acquired 10 year old female orange tabby...we were a retirement home for orange cats! Anyway, I was so worried that he'd be to rambunctious and they'd hide. Well the male did for a bit but our female, who is still with us, gave Truman a few well placed, claw-free, whacks every time he stepped out of line and boy, he learned fast about who was boss.

It was the same with our first bulldog, Bentley. We had a little 8 pound gray tabby who literally backed Bentley up into a corner so he could check out the dog's food bowl.

Bulldogs are so funny. They're big and strong but just like big toddlers!

Now my Linus, who was 80 lbs of love, he liked to play with the cats. At first it scared me but I'm not sure I lived until I saw an 80 lbs dog playing with a 6 lb cat.

I'm rambling...many fond memories of our animals together. I've had to pare down since we have two little kids now so we just have one dog and one cat.

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Meg
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dozer
    Likes (Received)

I bet your kitty would rule the roost! When Truman was a puppy, we had a 14 year old male orange tabby and a newly acquired 10 year old female orange tabby...we were a retirement home for orange cats! Anyway, I was so worried that he'd be to rambunctious and they'd hide. Well the male did for a bit but our female, who is still with us, gave Truman a few well placed, claw-free, whacks every time he stepped out of line and boy, he learned fast about who was boss.

It was the same with our first bulldog, Bentley. We had a little 8 pound gray tabby who literally backed Bentley up into a corner so he could check out the dog's food bowl.

Bulldogs are so funny. They're big and strong but just like big toddlers!

Now my Linus, who was 80 lbs of love, he liked to play with the cats. At first it scared me but I'm not sure I lived until I saw an 80 lbs dog playing with a 6 lb cat.

I'm rambling...many fond memories of our animals together. I've had to pare down since we have two little kids now so we just have one dog and one cat.
    HA great stories!! I love the "retirement home for orange cats" lol I bet you are right actually, my girl Zoe is a tough ole gal

12. Likes sheshistory liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads