Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
[MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION] [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION]

I did find an issue with the home page-- somehow a setting was made so every single article we have ever written would be in a menu, thus causing a huge lag.

Still working on the possibility of a server issue, and as for the home page taking a long time to load that should just be isolated to the home page and not the other pages on the forum. Then again, you never know! Please let me know if you see any improvement.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@Baxter Tiberius @Texas Carol

I did find an issue with the home page-- somehow a setting was made so every single article we have ever written would be in a menu, thus causing a huge lag.

Still working on the possibility of a server issue, and as for the home page taking a long time to load that should just be isolated to the home page and not the other pages on the forum. Then again, you never know! Please let me know if you see any improvement.

Great job, lil mama, will check out & report back...love you!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Slightly faster tonight but still took about 2-3 minutes to load.

In my last post I identified the problem. The "timeout" labels on the Traceroute I did are the problem.

The reason its only happening for some people, is because that Traceroute shows the path it takes to Miami, from your server company.

Certain paths are failing (timeout) on the way to me, causing the major delays. Its not a web browser issue.

If you copy and paste what I put in my last post, and put it into a support ticket with your server guys, they will know exactly whats wrong.

Most likely one of their nodes going outwards my direction is at fault.

PS: Im using firefox already.
@bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay I worked on this all day yesterday-- found that issue on the home page, also I removed old unused modification files, uninstalled unused modifications taht are taking up database tables, and deleting suspect file versions.

I have a ticket in with our server and they checked their network. They are showing no problems but are going to run some load tests to see if they can find out the problem.

While watching your video I found a common link that could only be certain elements of the forum since it was showing on forum.php and content.php, as you know there is only a certain amount of code that is common between the two, so I focused my investigation to the header, navigation, and footer. Also looking at the time frame you gave for when you started to have problems, there is only a few things I had done to the site in those areas.

I disabled any navigation elements that were added since then and deleted any unused ones. I also checked the code at the bottom of the forum and found an unclosed <center> tag which was odd that the unclosed tag was not showing-- but it was there. I have experienced this before, where on certain computers an unclosed tag made page load times extremely slow, but it did not effect all users, only some, so hopefully this is the problem! And..... I did edit that area about 3 months ago.

Please let me know if it has improved! [MENTION=9462]Baxter Tiberius[/MENTION]

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Im confused - did you show them the traceroute information like I mentioned a couple times? I can't tell from your post. The problem never was with your website in the first place. Sorry if I wasn't being clear bout that in my last 3 posts. If you paste in the traceroute information to the support team, they will see that everything isn't okay. If you only open a ticket and tell them your site is slow, they may not check everything. I run into that a lot with my support group. That's why i suggested pasting in the traceroute into a ticket with them.

Tonight I re-ran it and now there are three timeouts. As mentioned, this is the problem. Your site isn't the problem. Nor the navigation, nor any HTML tags. You are however optimizing the heck out of your site, so for those who are not on the same "path" to your server over the internet that I am, I'm sure the site is screaming now. So it wasn't all wasted effort!! :)

Show this to them and ask them if the timeouts are at one of their data centers.

As long as these timeouts exist, people in my area aren't able to load your site.

Tracing route to englishbulldognews.com [72.9.252.163]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1
2 6 ms 18 ms 8 ms 67.205.200.1
3 9 ms 6 ms 8 ms 10.50.0.105
4 5 ms 3 ms 2 ms 10.51.0.1
5 16 ms 3 ms 14 ms 10.50.0.146
6 9 ms 18 ms 7 ms 66.103.15.102
7 17 ms 5 ms 11 ms ae5-191.edge2.miami1.level3.net [4.59.84.93]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 26 ms 23 ms 21 ms GIGLINX-INC.ear1.Atlanta2.Level3.net [4.35.6.114
]
12 19 ms 24 ms 55 ms 65.254.38.142
13 19 ms 27 ms 19 ms server.englishbulldognews.com [72.9.252.163]

Trace complete.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

Im confused - did you show them the traceroute information like I mentioned a couple times? I can't tell from your post. The problem never was with your website in the first place. Sorry if I wasn't being clear bout that in my last 3 posts. If you paste in the traceroute information to the support team, they will see that everything isn't okay. If you only open a ticket and tell them your site is slow, they may not check everything. I run into that a lot with my support group. That's why i suggested pasting in the traceroute into a ticket with them.

Tonight I re-ran it and now there are three timeouts. As mentioned, this is the problem. Your site isn't the problem. Nor the navigation, nor any HTML tags. You are however optimizing the heck out of your site, so for those who are not on the same "path" to your server over the internet that I am, I'm sure the site is screaming now. So it wasn't all wasted effort!! :)

Show this to them and ask them if the timeouts are at one of their data centers.

As long as these timeouts exist, people in my area aren't able to load your site.

Tracing route to englishbulldognews.com [72.9.252.163]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1
2 6 ms 18 ms 8 ms 67.205.200.1
3 9 ms 6 ms 8 ms 10.50.0.105
4 5 ms 3 ms 2 ms 10.51.0.1
5 16 ms 3 ms 14 ms 10.50.0.146
6 9 ms 18 ms 7 ms 66.103.15.102
7 17 ms 5 ms 11 ms ae5-191.edge2.miami1.level3.net [4.59.84.93]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 26 ms 23 ms 21 ms GIGLINX-INC.ear1.Atlanta2.Level3.net [4.35.6.114
]
12 19 ms 24 ms 55 ms 65.254.38.142
13 19 ms 27 ms 19 ms server.englishbulldognews.com [72.9.252.163]

Trace complete.

I did copy and paste the info and linked them to this thread. They say all is good on their side and have absolutely no errors. They think it's your ISP. But I will try again.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I did copy and paste the info and linked them to this thread. They say all is good on their side and have absolutely no errors. They think it's your ISP. But I will try again.

Well Lisa, you just worked your lil fingers to the bone, great job...
worked as well, much better & fast!

And, added surprise, I'm very hopeful my computer issues are finally
solved and I can do more than one or two word replies before thrown off.
Wasn't able to post a NEW thread at all so was barely here the last couple
months but now...I'm back!

The bad news?...long winded, rambling, personal thoughts, diatribes & rants
of mine, lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well Lisa, you just worked your lil fingers to the bone, great job...
worked as well, much better & fast!

And, added surprise, I'm very hopeful my computer issues are finally
solved and I can do more than one or two word replies before thrown off.
Wasn't able to post a NEW thread at all so was barely here the last couple
months but now...I'm back!

The bad news?...long winded, rambling, personal thoughts, diatribes & rants
of mine, lol

Yay!!!! I have been spending many many hours on upgrading and fine tuning, I'm so glad it has helped.

Hopefully I can help get Baxter back into action too.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
And this is bad, HOW?? :D

Dear Christine....you are the friend everyone prays to have, I have
thanked GOD a thousand times for you being in my corner <3