Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Thread: Question About Tails

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Blog Entries

Default Question About Tails

I don't get it but my boyfriend thinks it would be cool for our next English Bulldog to have a longer tail like the american bulldogs have. I don't like the idea at all and I told him I was 99.9% sure that that wasn't an option. As I understand English Bulldogs are born with the little pig tails, not that they are docked as babies. Is that correct?

Last edited by TessaAndSamson; 05-25-2010 at 01:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quit lugging those big bags of dog food and running that extra errand,
    and get it delivered right to your door- shipped for FREE from Petflow!
    (Please use our link so EBN gets sponsor credit.)
    Ready to try Petflow? Click Here!
    Click here to read testimonials from members who already order from Petflow!

Support Our Community! Become a 4 Paw Member and you will no longer view these ads or this post.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Blog Entries

I think many breeders dock them, but I have seen a few with really long tails as well. I remember once someone telling me that a long tail is good.

aka "Bullpapa DeLano" on facebook

Northern California near the Oregon border
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nitro, Sierra & Reina

The bulldog standard says this about tails: Tail -- The tail may be either straight or "screwed" (but never curved or curly), and in any case must be short, hung low, with decided downward carriage, thick root and fine tip. If straight, the tail should be cylindrical and of uniform taper. If "screwed", the bends or kinks should be well-defined, and they may be abrupt and even knotty, but no portion of the member should be elevated above the base or root.

http://www.thebca.org/ilstd.html

Last edited by HighDesertBulldogs; 05-27-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Roxie

Bulldogs are born with short tails or cork screw tails but the ideal tail even for show dogs is a straight tail that is 5-6 inchs long with a little crook in the tail. Our female who is not a show dog and is spayed was in a fun match we were having for our Reno Bulldog Club and she got the award for the best tail. We did get a female into rescue a definite Bulldog, very short faced, she has a long tail but not like an American Bulldog or Pitbulls who have thin long tails, its fat and heavy more like a Beagle tail. It could be a throw back from past breedings we don't know, her new mom loves her anyway.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Blog Entries

Wow good to know thank you. Is there anyway to tell that is has been docked and they weren't born that way?

Bulldog(s) Names
    www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo

yikes! if any breeder docks them, they are not a very sharp tool in the shed! eb's tails are not meant to be docked. they're naturally born with shorter tails.

in europe, the tails tend to be a little longer (though still short--like to the booty hole or just covering it). in america, you can have up to that, or so short that you can't even see that they have a tail (though that is not desirable in show dogs).

one thing you certainly don't want is an inverted tail--where the tail screws 'into' the body. my tilly had that and it had pockets in there that no matter how many times you cleaned each day, it constantly got infected and eventually was amputated. when my tilly was little, she just looked like she had a little piggy cork screw tail. as she grew older, the tail screwed 'in'.

but you're correct--eb's are born with short tails. they're not docked--at least they shouldn't be.

Bulldog(s) Names
    www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo

a long tail is good.
    you were told right, unless it's a gay tail.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Blog Entries

Sam has an inverted tail too but it has never turned into a big deal. When he was little he was scooting his butt across the carpet alot. First they thought he just needed his anal glands expressed. When that didn't work I went back and they discovered the inverted tail. They gave me waterless shampoo to spray on a cloth, clean under the tail with that then wipe with a masaleb pledglet. I do that a couple times-once a week and keep up on his anal gland expressions and it has never been an issue since, it's been over 3 years.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lil Miss Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Mugzilla View Post
    yikes! if any breeder docks them, they are not a very sharp tool in the shed! eb's tails are not meant to be docked. they're naturally born with shorter tails.

in europe, the tails tend to be a little longer (though still short--like to the booty hole or just covering it). in america, you can have up to that, or so short that you can't even see that they have a tail (though that is not desirable in show dogs).

one thing you certainly don't want is an inverted tail--where the tail screws 'into' the body. my tilly had that and it had pockets in there that no matter how many times you cleaned each day, it constantly got infected and eventually was amputated. when my tilly was little, she just looked like she had a little piggy cork screw tail. as she grew older, the tail screwed 'in'.

but you're correct--eb's are born with short tails. they're not docked--at least they shouldn't be.
    I would be very concerned with a breeder who is cropping tails. Keeping the breed pure should be the goal not cosmetic surgery. I agree with you they should not be docked!!!