Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Bumps?? :(

Doggie Boutique Owner Lauren31287's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston

Default Red Bumps?? :(

Hi All! So over the past couple days Winston has developed these red bumps all under his chin and by his nose, his face also seems to be very red. I am not sure if its an allergy, acne, or an infection! It seems to be better when he wakes up in the morning and worse at night. I have tried Witch Hazel but it doesn't seem to be clearing it up. I used stainless steel bowls and wash them before every feeding. He is on NVI limited ingredient Lamb and has been on it since November. Could he have all of a sudden developed an allergy to it?? I am going to post some pictures below, any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	19796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0474.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	19797

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quit lugging those big bags of dog food and running that extra errand,
    and get it delivered right to your door- shipped for FREE from Petflow!
    (Please use our link so EBN gets sponsor credit.)
    Ready to try Petflow? Click Here!
    Click here to read testimonials from members who already order from Petflow!

Support Our Community! Become a 4 Paw Member and you will no longer view these ads or this post.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Red Bumps?? :(

watson has the same exact thing on his chin. i think it is bully acne
    @ChanelnBrutus

Last edited by Watson; 04-15-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow

could be environmental. sarah has them to on and off. doesnt have to be the food since hes been on it since november. he could be outside sniffing something he is allergic to or just sniffing the air. sarah is also worse at night time with her allergies right now. i put hydrocortisone cream on hers and it seems to help and i also give her benadryl. one per 25 pounds. when i give sarah a new pill i give her a bit to see if it agrees with her. let us know whats happening.

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston

Thank you! He is ok with benedryl and I have been giving him one a day, I was scared to give him more then that because it makes him sooo sleepy. He's 50 pounds so it would be two?? Could the one not be enough? I was thinking environmental too because he loves to shove his head in the grass now! That's his new thing. I will try the cortisone too and see if that helps. I was hoping it wasn't his food because we already know hes allergic to carrots and its very difficult to find food that doesn't have it! I will keep an eye on it and keep you posted! Thanks again!!

Real Name
    Lauren
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winston

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    watson has the same exact thing on his chin. i think it is bully acne
    @ChanelnBrutus

Does anything help it that you know of???

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    Thank you! He is ok with benedryl and I have been giving him one a day, I was scared to give him more then that because it makes him sooo sleepy. He's 50 pounds so it would be two?? Could the one not be enough? I was thinking environmental too because he loves to shove his head in the grass now! That's his new thing. I will try the cortisone too and see if that helps. I was hoping it wasn't his food because we already know hes allergic to carrots and its very difficult to find food that doesn't have it! I will keep an eye on it and keep you posted! Thanks again!!
    yes you could give more i give sarah one and half and if needed the other half depending on her allergies. and i dunno if youve tried it but zyrtec works better imo. i was told 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the pm but ive heard you can give more. dunno. just a suggestion and zyrtec is not as sedating either.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow

ive also heard of people using stridex on it but have never tried it myself

Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren31287 View Post
    Does anything help it that you know of???
    i do what you do and use stainless steel bowls, wash his face often. I use baby wipes instead of stridex because the stridex made it worse. I am hoping that this is just a phase. It is getting a little bit better. Sometimes it may get real raw and bleed. so far watson's haven't bled yet.

I know he loves to dig that chin into everything so it doesn't help. benadryl did not make it any better for Watson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Eden

My vet told me it was acne...and told me to get some acne wipes to use on here chin...it helps...when she lets me put it on there....I think its a EB thing!...good luck , if you find something that helps please share...

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Wash his chin, dry and then put a thin layer of Neosporin, Desitin or even vaseline. You need a moisture barrier to protect the skin from whatever is irritating it. Wash his water bowl frequently because if he's like my Wilson he'll slobber into his water bowl.

Last edited by Fontanafox; 04-15-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fontanafox View Post
    Wash his chin, dry and then put a thin layer of Neosporin, Desitin or even vaseline. You need a moisture barrier to protect the skin from whatever is irritating it. Wash his water bowl frequently because if he's like my Wilson he'll slobber into his water bowl.
    Thanks for the tip. I have some vaseline so I will try to put a thin layer on next time I wash his face.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)

Hey there! We are still battling the acne! Its gotten so much better since our switch to Fromm Beef! I clean it 3x a day with babywipes/then noxema pads. I always dry his face after he drinks/eats. Stainless steel bowls. It could be allergies or just acne. I went to the vet the other day and he gave us animax which has made such a difference in 2 days already!

Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast