about to give up on raw feed dog not pooping

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
If he's not trying to go he might not have to yet?! With Ruckus he is straining and constantly trying to go but just not successful.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I have an ignorant question regarding raw feeding..

I thought Raw feeding was supposed to be not only a healthier alternative to Kibble but also more cost effective. Wouldn't daily feeding a dog chicken breasts, quarters and other raw meats be more expensive than a $50 bag of Kibble that lasts 2 or more weeks.?

We do not raw feed but I have always heard that nutrition is the reason for raw feeding and that it was in fact a bit more costly than kibble. That of course would depend on your source of your raw food.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???

I thought Raw feeding was supposed to be not only a healthier alternative to Kibble but also more cost effective. Wouldn't daily feeding a dog chicken breasts, quarters and other raw meats be more expensive than a $50 bag of Kibble that lasts 2 or more weeks.?

I chose it because of nutrition and because Tyson appears to have pretty severe allergies. A lot of what is feed is not boneless skinless chicken breasts lol .I just started with this because this is what I had. it's one of the few meats we eat . You are supposed to stick with 1 protien source while transitioning to raw feeding. I bought chicken quarters for Tyson FOR 89 cents a lb. This is cheaper than the kibble I was feeding at 58 dollars for 30 lbs. Also things that dogs need like organ meats turkey/ chicken necks are even cheaper. In the long run I think it will work out to be cheaper, unless Tyson refuses to eat anything besides t-bones =)

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] ok here is a stupid question but what in the world is tripe? I've read other people feed that to their dogs but I have no idea what it is.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
it can be as cheap or expensive as you make it,finding a cheap reliable source can be hard but worth it,given how sensitive bulldogs can be i personally would pay more to raw feed than kibble feed,i know exactly what my dog is eating ,ive read too much about what is hidden in kibble to go back to it ,karen

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@karenben ok here is a stupid question but what in the world is tripe? I've read other people feed that to their dogs but I have no idea what it is.

That's the stomach portion, usually from a cow. But I've also seen lamb and goat ones. You can't get them from the normal grocery store as regulations prohibit them. You have to source it out to either a rawfeeding store or maybe the butcher (if they'll sell them to you). What you want to feed is green tripe, which is the stomach that haven't been processed or bleached. The grocery stores carry the bleached kind.

Here, we always give some tripe in the beginning to ease with the transition. It's rich on probiotics and other nutrients which ease the detoxing phase.

How's Tyson today, has he pooped yet?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Not at all an ignorant q, it's quite a common one. :)

I estimate that Stigs' monthly raw cost is around $50-55. When I fed him Fromm, it would cost around $70 a month. There are a lot of ways to get cheap meat for our guys, such as joining a coop, getting meat directly from the source (farmers, butchers, etc) to eliminate the middleman thus the costs, ethnic food stores are quite reasonably priced as well, especially if you buy in bulk. They don't need kobe or triple aaa beef, they would go bonkers for anything. :D

I chose raw mainly because of Stigs' allergies. How quickly he got better amazed me, and that's why we're sticking to it. (And plus I kinda enjoy shopping for deals. :blink:)

Last edited:
OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Tyson Finally pooped! Never have i been so excited over something like this. Not runny or too hard just normal! Then he came in and stood by his food bowl as if to tell me "HELLO I"M HUNGRY!" So i think we may be ok . All though he seems to be a bit of a lazy feeder, he still doesn't want to have to tear or crunch his food he prefers that I stip it from the bone so it pulls off more easily. We will work on it.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson Finally pooped! Never have i been so excited over something like this. Not runny or too hard just normal! Then he came in and stood by his food bowl as if to tell me "HELLO I"M HUNGRY!" So i think we may be ok . All though he seems to be a bit of a lazy feeder, he still doesn't want to have to tear or crunch his food he prefers that I stip it from the bone so it pulls off more easily. We will work on it.

Yay! :spartak: Way to go Tyson!

He'll eventually get the hang of it. But what do I know, I resorted to buying a grinder for Punkin. lol.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
panic over he finaly poop lol,cows stomache is disgusting tripe yuk,my husband loves haggis ,sheeps stomache filled with meat and barley hes scottish very strange breed lol,karen

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
panic over he finaly poop lol,cows stomache is disgusting tripe yuk,my husband loves haggis ,sheeps stomache filled with meat and barley hes scottish very strange breed lol,karen

I've always wanted to try haggis. sounds amazing. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
not to worry, we feed raw (ground up)... Banks only goes every other day - Nitschke is twice a day (small). But, you may want to get the allergy test done to make sure he is not allergic to chicken.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
YAY!!! POOP! lol. Funny, with raw feeders poop is the #1 conversation. We are kinda crazy :). Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much. If he isn't uncomfortable, it will "pass" so to speak. lol. Better for them to have a nice poop every other day than 10 runny ones a day, that is for sure.
Sounds like you are doing well. Try throwing in a bone in chicken breast now and then and it will cut down the bone a bit. It might help.

I would try to order some GREEN tripe online if you can't find it in town. They can't sell it for human consumption in the US I believe so it can be tricky to find. [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] is right that it will help the transition. I didn't do it at first and we had some gas issues. lol. It smells BAAAAAAAAAD.

Oh, and likely if he is allergic to chicken in kibble, he will not be allergic to raw. Could be but not common. Kibble chicken is processed gunk.

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus

lol...my grandma used to cook sometimes sheep stomach aka tripe...lol....ughhh, I used to RUN out of the house as fast as I could and stay out as long as I could...smelled awful!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.