about to give up on raw feed dog not pooping

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
posted a day or so ago about Tyson throwing up after eating. We haven't been raw feeding long, 4 days and he hasn't pooped in 3 days. He is now refusing to eat the raw chicken ,which he loved at first. He will however attempt to eat anything I have , so I know he is hungry. He is still throwing up also, just small amounts mostly foamy stuff. I feel like I may have made my dog very sick, i'm ready to cry. I'm worried about possible bowel obstruction due to the non pooping. My vet, t is against raw feeding and totally believes in science diet :shout:so I know I will just get a lecture. Any advice?

also I did search the raw feeding yahoo group, and posted there but didn't come up with much. My posts are still moderated so I haven't gotten an answer yet. Sorry to keep bugging everyone but I know and trust you guys, those people are totally unknown to me. This place is lie home

update I just fed him a boneless skinless chicken breast out of frustration and he gobbled it right up so there is that at least

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am not sure about changing over to raw. My guess would be the chicken made him sick, that is why he is shying away from it. I have a very close friend that sells raw food, I will message him and see what he says about the changing over process.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well there is so much to feed other than chicken id say. have you asked @GatorRay she knows alot about it and @karenben does to. Have you read [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] s blog on her raw feeding. its very detailed about what happens and what she was feeding and such. maybe of help. i dont raw feed but just wanted to give some encouragement. :hug:

Last edited:
OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Thanks for your support guys it means a lot.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ugh!! I don't raw feed, but I know the frustration with the pooping. Is he trying to poop ( straining) and can't, or is he not even trying?? Once again were dealing with constipation with Ruckus.

Danielle Cope

Mar 25, 2011
Manteca, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
we are just switching rambo onto raw food and aside from his choking on the meats because he tries to swallow it but can't, hes been doing great on it. Its only been a few days but hes really starting to like it.

are you giving your dog enough organs for the nutrition he cant get from meat and bone, and are you giving your dog to much bone? were still playing it out over here, but dont give up!! he very well could have had a bad reaction somewhere, but think of the good feeding raw will do.

we fed rambo orjen kibble, which is great food but to tell you how bad kibble is.... he managed to puke up whole bits of kibble 12 HOURS after he ate it.... how long does food have to take to digest ya know?

just start small and make sure your giving your dog all the nutrients he needs for a proper diet. my fiance could tell you more about this than I can, but i hope i was able to help a little :heart:

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1169]Piamitch[/MENTION] he hasn't even tried. I have taken him on several long walks each day thinking this may do the trick. No luck so far. [MENTION=2095]Danielle Cope[/MENTION] idk about too much bone, maybe? just chicken quarters. We only started 4 days ago and I thought we were supposed to keep things simple at first. Start with just chicken. I was doing bones less breasts for the first 2 meals and switched to quarters with bone in them. Tonight I want back to boneless breasts because he wouldn't touch the quarter.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think from what I have seen others post is too much bone causes blockage, too much meat causes diarrhea ... Or was it the other way around?

Another thing to consider is that they will poo waaaaaay less on raw because they use up and digest everything that is eaten.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
too much bone will cause constipation too little will cause the runs,its all about balance,annie has ox heart and tripe as her main meat,i give her 2 pork ribs every other day and shes fine ,she poops every other day,the organs have to be introduced very slowly a good few weeks after transition,they are very rich and will cause bad runs,persevere you will get that balance,stick to 1 meat for at least 3 weeks it wont hurt your bully ,feeding slow is the key to raw,once established you can ad whatever you want to the diet,karen

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
lol i dont know but would have to be done at the vets and i would imagine very costly,if your dog is constipated then a little coconut oil will make him go or canned/fresh pumpkin ,but not too much ,annie has been known not to go for 4 days before now so i wouldnt be overly worried yet unless of course the dog is in pain and uncomfortable,karen

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I have an ignorant question regarding raw feeding..

I thought Raw feeding was supposed to be not only a healthier alternative to Kibble but also more cost effective. Wouldn't daily feeding a dog chicken breasts, quarters and other raw meats be more expensive than a $50 bag of Kibble that lasts 2 or more weeks.?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online