Ok raw feeders Tyson just threw up

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
He just threw up chicken parts. Is this normal after starting raw feeding? He is on anitbiotics and benedryll but hasn't had this problem in a week,

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm not sure on this one. Poor baby. Hopefully someone can answer you fairly quickly. :hug:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hmm. I think in the beginning Stig did, but rarely. And most likely he threw up because it was around when he started daycare so he was doing a lot of running around back then.

I know it'll make your tummy queasy, but I let Stig eat up what he threw up if it seems harmless. But if I see some weird looking bone fragments, then I take it away. If it's the foamy or bile kind of throw up, I won't let him eat it and clean it up.

From what I've read on the raw groups, the reason could be similar to why some have runny poops, which are too much food, enhanced meat or too little bone. Have you been tracking how much food you're giving him daily?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
If you search the archives of the group I pm'd you, you should be able to find a bunch of rookies asking the same thing with answers from the experienced.

Sorry, I'd look it up but I'm at work and rushing to get out of here. :blush2:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Could be exactly the reason's that [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] pointed out. If it looks just like mostly chicken and he wants to, let him re-eat it. Mine did it a few times at the beginning too. Plus, he isn't used to it yet. Don't worry. With dogs, vomiting is removing the offending item and then they feel fine again (in most cases anyway). Unless he seems lethargic, not interested in food and either is not pooping or having exploding diarrhea, he is likely just fine. If it is bile, he has an empty tummy and you should break his meals into smaller portions. You may want to try giving him two meals a day instead of one or three instead of two for a bit to get him used to it. I have found that the size of the meal with raw is much larger than with kibble and they get full faster.

Try not to panic...check the group archives and remember, you are feeding him a species appropriate diet that can only benefit in the long run.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] Thanks so much. I did read the archives in the group and that helped a bit. I know that raw feeding is supposed to be a lot better. I chose it because I would like to do the very best I can for Tyson, but it's still a little scary. It seems wrong. I know it isn't but I've always been told not to give dogs bones, that raw meat is dangerous ect ect. I think once we get used to this it will all be ok but i'm a worrier anyway.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
@GatorRay @savemejeebus Thanks so much. I did read the archives in the group and that helped a bit. I know that raw feeding is supposed to be a lot better. I chose it because I would like to do the very best I can for Tyson, but it's still a little scary. It seems wrong. I know it isn't but I've always been told not to give dogs bones, that raw meat is dangerous ect ect. I think once we get used to this it will all be ok but i'm a worrier anyway.

Don't worry *big hugs* just remember, cooked bones are the bad ones. Raw ones are fine! I think Tyson is very lucky that you care enough for him to feed him raw and on top of that, you love him enough already to worry :).

zeusmommy

Aug 22, 2011
Metro Detroit
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Zeus has done that too...in fact, a lot of times as he is eating he throws up and re-eats it again and then finishes off the meat too...very gross

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] - :hug: Once you get used to it, you'll find that it really is simple. You'll get a handle of what you feel is ok to feed and what not to feed. Remember, you know Tyson best, so trust your gut.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
sometimes they regurgitate the food and eat it again its fine and totally normal annie does it with the skin off the chicken really disgusting but its how they eat ,try not to worry too much,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.